Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Question Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Hello all!!

I've been stalking this board and some others trying to figure out what to buy. You guys been pretty helpful to others, maybe you cpuild help me out a bit.

I'm about to buy myself some parts and assemble it to a pc (hopefully). but i'm not quite certain wich parts to buy and such. I cant sadly enough order from newegg cause i live in norway, and i might not be able to get all the different stuff that you guys can get.

Budgetwise i dont really know, dunno how much money i wanna spend. machine is gonna mostly be used for gaming, surf the web and play dvd/music.

Heres a list of items i'm thinking of buying;

Case: Silverstone SST-TJ05B-T Miditower

PSU: tt purepower 480W or 560W dunno wich yet, not to much of a price difference, will those handle any different?

Mobo: MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum-54G Hovedkort S939 nForce3 250Ultra,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-DDR

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache, BOXED
    I'm also considering the 3500+, i found that one with newcastle and winchester core, whats best? or whats the differences?

RAM: Crucial PC3200 BallistiX DDR 512MB CL2 Non-parity, 2.8V, 64Meg x 64, 184pin X2 (at least i think i need 2)
    any other good choices, i dunno about ram and how you choose a good one, just one of you that said it was good in another post.

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM
    and maybe a 80-120GB one for winXP and other stuff to make things go faster (if it helps, ive done this on other comps before)
    and when i order harddrives do i need to buy the cable that connects the harddrive with the mobo seperatly?

Keyboard/Mouse: keep the old one, might get a new mouse though, any spcific good ones i should look for? dont reallt care if its cordless or not. (i think) keyboard i'll keep. but if i buy a new one i guess there isn't really any difference in them anyways.

Monitor: hmmmm. i'm sitting on an old 17 inch Panasonic, so i prolly need to upgrade to a 19 inch either now or later.. any good brand/model or stuff i should look for in a new one?

Graphics: now this seems expensive for a good one.. i'm sitting on an old geforce4 card (64MB). what i'm thinking of doing is buying my friends 9800 PRO card when he upgrades his, he should be getting his new one soon. and after that i'll look into a geforce 6800gt. any brand there better than others?

This is about a complete list of what i plan to buy, anything i've missed? I'm planning on using the HS that comes with the CPU, and using the 2 stock 120mm fans thats included in the case.

Also, about overclocking, i've never done it.. i dunno if i want to, in my mind a system like this wouldn't need to. but of course faster is better ;)
    how about just overclocking a little? that should be relatively safe right? but i mainly planned to choose parts for not overclocking that fits the best. but if they are good for OC then its good too, you never know what you're gonna do..

thanks for reading this and even more thanks for helping me.

Default Re: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Don't waste your money on that case. There are much nicer cases in that price range, and you should probably go for something much cheaper anyway. The $26 Raidmax cases at Newegg (assuming you're in the U.S.) seem suprisingly nice (which is why I regularly recommend them), very cheap (like I said, $26), and have plenty of room for adding fans.

You'll want the 560W PSU if you're going to do just about any overclocking, but the 480W ought to run it.

I'd say go for an Athlon 65 3500 with a Winchester core (which overclocks better than Newcastle and runs cooler). If you want to do some heavier overclocking than you're planning now, get a socket 939 Atlhon 64 3000 or 3200 to make up for the price increase in other areas.

The RAM I constantly recommend is nice for overclocking, but I'd get something cheaper if you just want light overclocking. If you want to do some heavier overclocking, go with it. BTW, I'd also suggest that you order from Crucial itself, rather than Newegg, assuming you're in the U.S.

The motherboard comes with the necessary cables for the hard drives, so that will be a non-issue.

The Logitech MX1000 cordless laser mouse is something you might want to try as it utilizes an entirely different technology than optical mice which makes it superior (or most people that use it say so). That said, it's extremely expensive. The Razor Viper mouse is a good alternative (though it is optical), but it's still fairly expensive. If you don't want to waste your money, any $20 optical mouse or your current one ought to be enough. You might consider a Logitech 104 key Elite Keyboard, but your current one should do.

For the monitor, I'd suggest a ViewSonic P95F. It should run any game at the desired resolution while maintaining at least 72HTz refresh rate, and it's plenty big, too. I'll probably be getting myself one when I get money to upgrade my monitor. Whatever you do for the monitor, you'll want to make sure it can run at 1600x1200@72Htz or better.

Buying your friend's 9800 Pro isn't a terrible idea, but you'd probably be happier if you just got a GeForce 6800 (which is only about $75 U.S. more than a new 9800 Pro) or 6800GT (which is aobut double the price of the 9800 Pro).

Maybe you can overclock a little with just that 480W PSU, but if you want to overclock singificantly this you'd probably want a bigger PSU. You'd definitely want a 560W if you are going to overclock and have a GeForce 6800GT in there. You'll also need some Arctic Silver 5 and a $30 cooler (the Thermaltake K8 Silent Boost and Venus 12 both seem to be sufficient for some pretty nice overclocking with Winchesters). You might also consider adding case fans to whatever you get. Like I said, the price of gaoing down to a 3200 or 3000 from the 3500 would probably make for the price increase, and you should be able to get farther with a 3000 and a nice PSU and nice cooling than with a 3500 and no additional cooling.

If you dont feel like Overclocking, and you have room in your budjet I would suggest going with the 3500. Just a thought.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

thanks, so what you're basically saying is get a 3500+ Winchester CPU and i got myself a good build? anything else i can do to improve anything by just a bit for just a litttle extra cash?

regarding the case.. I've seen you recommend that raidmax, but i have trouble finding it here in Norway. i've only seen the fancier raidmaxes and those look like crap. on the reliable online sites here i've seen cheaper cases but i cant seem to find any good reviews on them and newegg dont have them either. I've used quite a bit of hours to come up with all this.

Also, the case will prolly be in the living room, and i would like to get a case that looks nice, as i would rather spend 20$ more on lamp that would look nicer, and that means i would do the same for a case.. and i think it looks very good ^^

and after a couple of hours i basically came down to cm wavemaster, silverstone 5 and antec p160. i chose the silverstone one cause i thought it looked good, was big and sturdy and looked like it had great cooling.

you said that there were better cases in that price range? wich ones? i only know cases from what i've read..

Also, about artic silver 5..
    when i get the boxed cpu set, there will be the cpu and a hs in it right? and according to arctic's website you just put the compound on it and then the hs over it.. would i have to remove anything from the cpu before i use the arctic silver?

about fans, when i look for a good fan what should i look for, just the dB on it?

the 9800 i'll get for about 50$ so i guessed it would take me there until i could justify a buy for the 6800GT.

thanks for all the info so far btw.

There must be something cheaper. That case you want is almost eight times as expensive as the ones I recommend. Even if you can't find quality cases for as cheap as I can (tends to be easier here in the States), you should be able to get something better for less money. For example, Thermaltake makes a line of cases called "Xaser," which are attractive and hihgh-quality. The cheapest one is less than half that Silverstone's price, and the most expensive one is just a few dollars more. I'm not saying I would suggest that specifically for your situation one of the Xasers is best, but there's certainly something cheaper and better than that Silverstone.

You have to remove any thermal pads or compounds that are on a CPU.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
    Just use some 99% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and clean anything off both the HSF and CPU. Apply Arctic Silver 5 as the instructions suggest, but make sure you note the parts that are only for AS5, because it's much easier with AS5 than with older versions.

Airflow, size, and decibal levels are what you should be looking at when choosing case fans. Make sure it fits; make sure it's rated at what you find to be an acceptable noise level; make sure there isn't something with better airflow and the same or similar dB.

If you dont feel like losing your warrenty by overclocking go with the 3500.

If a computer retailer sells raidmax, they should be able to get any case in the raidmax line.

Yes there will be a CPU, heatsink, and fan in the box. You wiil have to remove the stock adhiesive on the heatsink before you apply Arctic Silver 5, make sure it is all removed and there is no "gunk" left on it.

For fans you have the option of two types of connectors, the molex, or the three pin, so if you want to monitor fan speed go with as many three pin fans as your motherboard will handle(usaly two or three), you can choose to have lighted of non-lighted, and make sure you get the right size (wont make that mistake again lol).

I would make sure your friends video card works 100% before you buy it off of him. But other than that, all good just make sure you are going to upgrade it eventualy as it is not a very good gaming card anymore. I am getting my x800xt in about a month or two.

Just A small question... What are current system specs?

thanks again.

my friend uses it now and he says it works perfectly, hes getting the x800xt too. I know its another thread, but why did you choose that card over a 6800GT?

anyways, current specs are something like this:

pIII 800
    512 RAM
    mobo unknown
    some 100GB worh of diskspace
    an old cd rom/cddburner/dvd
    big, kinda loud box
    gf4 mx440

its just parts i've been given/salvaged, so now i'm looking to buy and build my own new system from scratch.

Hmm, TT xaser you say, the cheapest i've found on the dealers i use, was actually the tsunami dream one.. and it costs about 20$ less than the silvertone.. and from what i've read that tsunami dream dont seem better than that silverstone .. anyways, i'll look a bit more.

i really want a nice design on the case, after all its gonna be like a furniture piece, and nothing flashy like lots of shiny lights and checkboard design on front or something... believe me when i've said i looked. is that silverstone actually bad? or just expensive...

so, since i'm not getting any bad feedback on the build, i guess its kinda good then

I chose the x800xt because I am going to get a PCI-E based motherboard when they come out, and that is the best card that I can find and I have heard nothing but good things about it. Anyway back to your computer, it is a good build, just make sure you get what you want, dont settle for any crap, and know what you are getting and stand by it. Some compant here tried to sell me a **** card for $800, I said no way and went to another retailer and I have delt with them for three years now.

The Tsunami dream is just about the best case you can get when it comes to cooling. Much better than that Silverstone. You do need to judge on more than looks, you know. If you seriously want to spend all that money on a case because you think it looks cool, go for it...

I'd rather have a 6800GT or Ultra over an X800, and you probably would too, for this system.

thanks yet again folks..

its kinda hard with all those webcompanies, on there site there just isn't enough info. but usually i can figure out all the specs by going by their product code, example: one store was selling 2 different 3500+. on their site the only difference was the price and the productnumber, everthing else was the same.. i checked the codes out and found that one had winchester core and one had newcastle, the winchester one beeing the more expensive one..

as i said i dont really mind the price on the case.. its a bit steep but about the same as the tt dream one. when i did my research i checked review sites such as this:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/

here they review both the tt dream and the silverstone.. the dream gets nearly better on all thermal tests, but not by much at all, and when they compare sound the silverstone is quite a bit quiter..

and yes, i'm trying hard to find the best possible without making myself a poor guy ;)

this forum has been more than helpful in regards to that.

if i want a new dvd drive, just go for a moderatly expensive known brand such as a Lite-on i reckon..

and i'm sure that you all see why i wanted to upgrade my old machine ^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information