Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Some one please 'ok' this list

Default Some one please 'ok' this list

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1112627

my dad is demanding a powerful comp. he will do some gaming here and there but it mostly needs to be F A S T for apps. This is what I've come up with, I have to order thanksgiving morning or tonight. Please advise, thank you.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Default Re: Some one please 'ok' this list

Olny advice I have is mabey go for the nForce 3 version of that board and get a 939 setup for upgradeability.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Even for occasional gaming, you'll want something better than that FX5500, maybe a radeon 9600

I agree with what's already been said but I'll add my concerns for the choice of PSU, it'll likely be found wanting and I'd suggest a 480W+ one.

Yeah, at least get a Thermaltake or other quality brand ratedn for 420w or more.

Assuming this is not for overclocking and only for lite gaming...

I'd look into a different board. If you just stick with socket 754, which leaves you with very limited upgrading option but makes the processor much faster now, I'd also recommmend an nForce 3 250 board. For the cheapest option without sacrifcing performance, the Eopx EP-8KDA3J would be best. For a more feature-rich board, the Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO would be good.

That RAM is overpriced and no good... A Mushkin dual pack or a coule sticks of Corsair Value Select would be better and cheaper.

As was said, the PSU that comes with that case is no good. I'd suggest you find something cheaper without a PSU (personally I like the $26 Raidmax cases that come without PSUs). For a PSU a Thermaltake 420W ought to do it for this system. A 480W would be good, but probably unecessary if you aren't using anything more powerful than a Radeon 9600.

I'd actually get a 9550 since a decent (128-bit) 9600 will cost a lot more and the only advantage is a higher core speed. If you want something more powerful, though, this ought to do the job for the least amount of money.

Thanks guys. I went with a coolermaster case, very sexy, black, windowless, 99bucks without psu. Then I got 26$ thermaltake 420w psu (thanksgiving sale) I went with a mushkin dual pack, and the eopx ep-8dka332hds3khs32 :) Anyways, Thanks for all who helped, specially Yawg. You've helped a lot in my buying of computer components just wanna thank ya again!
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Thread Information