Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New com ( Without budget this time )

Default Re: New com ( Without budget this time )

Quote Originally Posted by Benzoid
    I think ill prob stay with a normal mobo + 1 single GPU . It will prob last me 2-3 years :D

EDIT : Btw will a 450 watter PSU do ? Ill be changing the ultra over to a GT. Then Ill add some more fans and a silencer thingy
    Unlikely for both.

AGP should be just about dead within three years, and two years from now you'll be hoping you had PCI-E and SLI on your board. With SLI, you can have just one card, and you can eventually get a 2nd one when you want to upgrade, which saves money in the long run. Besides, there are other advantages to getting a board with PCI-E, and with feasible choices (nevermind LGA775) right around the corner, it makes sense to wait.

A 480W PSU is the absolute minimum I would get for a socket 939 system with a 6800. I'd consider getting a 560W (again, from Thermaltake) for this system, though a 480W will do if no overclocking is to be done.

I also wouldn't bother with a soundcard as whatever motherboard you get is going to have great onboard sound.

The hard drive needn't have a 16MB cache, and the only one you'll find is indeed Maxtor. If you really need that much space, it's not a bad idea, but just get a Seagate SATA drive with an 8MB cache otherwise.

That cooler should be quite good. I was very impressed with the cooling ability of the Arctic Cooling VGA cooler I got for my 9800 Pro, and that was the first and only cooler they had out. Now there's a whole line of even better coolers for both companies' cards, and it's what I recommend to anyone looking for aftermarket VGA cooling. Just make sre you get Arctic Silver 5, because the thermal paste that comes with it is crap.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-29-2004 at 07:31 AM.

I only need this com to last me 2 more years ( going army after 2 years so wont need the com much , by the time Im outa army it will be 4 years from now so I might as well buy a new com ). Those PCI-E boards are real expensive too :S Im gonna do some over clocking after about 1 year so ill guess ill buy a 560 PSU from thermaltake. Is 4 fans ( 2 comes with case ) and a vga cooler ( arctic silver 5 ) good enuf ??

Assuming Im ocing my 6800GT to ultra speeds and alittle above ( 415/1100 ) around there and pumping my processor up to 2.4 gigz clock speed.

AGP will be fine then, but those PCI-E boards aren't out, so you can't possibly know how expensive they are. :) Four years from now there's a good chance a technology that can't be easily/cheaply used in your computer will be out and you'll want a new motherboard anyway, so I guess you should just stick with an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum unless the PCI-E boards come out before you buy everything.

That cooling will be good enough, without a doubt. You can expect at least 2.6GHz out of a 3500 with a Winchester core. BTW, make sure you're getting this rather than this.

Yep getting winchester core :D is there a diff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Benzoid
    Yep getting winchester core :D is there a diff ?
    Yes there is a "diff". Winchester cores are built on the new 90nm process.

To explain further, that means the core is smaller. But the important part is it gives off less heat, overclocks better, and performs slightly better than Newcastles of the same speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information