Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New com ( Without budget this time )

Default New com ( Without budget this time )

I remember I asked alotta questions b4 last time but it was with a budget :D Now I still have a budget which isnt like a budget..... ( 1.6k-2k US dollars :P )

I need a mother board which can support a GeForce 6800 ultra ( Im getting this )

Can someone recommend a good processor together with the motherboard too ? ( Btw is the FX-51 ALOT better than 3400++ ? )

1 GB of DDR ram ( dual channel )
    Audigy 2 ZS
    250 gb HDD SATA
    ATX casing
    5.1 speakers by Altec lanzing
    1.44 MB floppy
    DVD drive

Just need help on a very good mobo and processor :D Im not sure if ill even get the fx-51 as it cost TONS more than a amd 3400 or 3500+

Thanks !

Default Re: New com ( Without budget this time )

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, socket 939

Processor: Athlon 64 3500+ (Winchester, socket 939, 512k cache)

The FX is better than a 3400+, but not worth the extra cost.

RAM: 2x512MB Crucial PC3200 (assuming you're not overclocking)

Also, make sure the hard disk has a 16mb cache and as Yawgm0th usually says, Seagate is good (5yr warranty)

Edit: I forgot to mention you'll need a decent PSU, a 480watt thermaltake unit would be a good idea...also why not get the 6800GT which is significantly cheaper than the Ultra while being almost as fast..you could probably overclock to Ultra speeds anyway
    Last edited by sr4470; 11-28-2004 at 11:11 AM.

The old FX-51 is about the same as the A64 3800 and the old FX-53 was turned into the A64 4000.
    A good mainboard is the MSI K8N Neo2.

ah ok I gotta research on the 6800GT and ultra again :D Is the X800XT platinum edition a better buy though ? Im also planning to get some extra fans so I can oc when 1-2 years is up :) So I wont have to upgrade so soon.

Does the Mboard support PCI express ?

I'd just wait until PCI-E boards become available. It can't be long now. I'm expecting to become them to become available sometime in December.

As for the FX51, it wasn't really much better than a socket 754 3400, and it was only slightly better than the 3700 (which has the same specs minus the 1000MHz HT bus). For this system, you'd be looking at a Socket 939 processor, and the 3500 is probably the best choice for this machine.

The GeForce 6800GT is better than the X800 Pro in most situations and not much worse than the XT overall, if it all. It really depends on what games you play, but usually the 6800GT (or Ultra, for that matter) is the better choice. With a PCI-E board supporting dual-SLI (which is what you'd want), a 6800GT is pretty much the only viable chocie, although PCI-E 6800GTs are having some availability problems at the moment.

Will Dual-SLI really be worth the wait ? I was thinking of a 3500+ , with a gf6800 U ( better in long run than a GT ) and a MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum"

I think ill prob stay with a normal mobo + 1 single GPU . It will prob last me 2-3 years :D

EDIT : Btw will a 450 watter PSU do ? Ill be changing the ultra over to a GT. Then Ill add some more fans and a silencer thingy
    Last edited by Benzoid; 11-28-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: New info

I got my com specs ! :D

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT
    2x512 mb Ram - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-299&depa=1

AMD 3500+ processor -
    - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-498&depa=0

Audigy 2 ZS sound card
    A DVD/CD-RW reader/writer
    250 GB 16 mb buffer HDD by maxtor ( couldnt find seagate )
    A case with a 450 watter - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...105-113&DEPA=1

Im buying 2 more fans as well , and a VGA fan ( 6800 GT ) to replace the stock one.

Link here -http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-120&depa=0

The 2 fans are Thermaltake "Blue-Eye" High Performance 80mm LED Case Fan -RETAIL

Buying a 5.1 speaker too.

What ya guys think ? :D

I would really wait for MSi's new nforce4 SLI mobo. 2 6800GT's would perform twice as fast as a X800 XT PE nd a 6800 Ultra. It will be better in the long run.

Also are you overclocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Benzoid

I'm not sure about what kind of power an AMD system like the one your building requires but from past experience every power supply that came with any of my cases I've purchased from Newegg to date were somewhat unstable and as light as a feather. Just make sure its a good unit and if you run into stability problems running system demanding programs or restarts, that PSU will likely be the cuase.

P.S.- Nice looking case though, I might just consider it next time I buld a system. Let me know how it works for you.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 11-28-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information