Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD Monitor: what's good?

Default LCD Monitor: what's good?

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm figuring on buying an LCD monitor of at least 19" (It will be used mostly for gaming). Anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks!

--Dan--

Default Re: LCD Monitor: what's good?

I dont know about 19's but BenQ has some nice 17's and 15's as does LG

Viewsonic is another one to look at.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

The HP F2304...23 inches!! 1920x1200 :drool: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...=email,ECOSTPG

Or, if price is a concern ....
    Dell 2001FP is excellent! http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...lot_id=1139296

Max res is 1600x1200. Both are great for gaming. Good luck on whatever you may purchase!
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

You'll want something with a low response time, maybe 20ms or lower, and support for at least 1280x1024 resolution, but 1600x1200 would be better. When it comes down to it, CRTs are much better for gaming and for your wallet, but there are good gaming LCDs if you're willing to throw enough money at one.

Agreed, I'd actually go with a CRT if I were you. This is coming from someone with dual LCD's, and I liked my older CRT better. The only con is of course, looks and space, but CRT's with mods (led's in back emit a killer effect) can look nice. If you are looking for a nice CRT, go with the NEC FE2111 SB (yes its a mouthful, w hy can't they just name it with an easy to remember/type name?)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...002-040&depa=0
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You'll want something with a low response time, maybe 20ms or lower
    You'll want 12ms response times for gaming but for me these will still show a little shadowing effect so I stick with CRT's.

10ms or lower is the recommended if you want no shadowing at all I believe..

You should consider the Samsung ones. It's not an obvious choice, but they are doing high-end stuff in imaging and trying to make a name for themselves in the market, which means you'll probably get a better price for more quality (take the 710V, for example).

It all varies a lot, but yeah, a CRT is much better for gaming.

IS there any reason you want a LCD in particular? For gaming it a CRT is much better. CRTs are better for gaming due to the higher refresh rates. There is no blur during fast color changes like some LCDs have. You can however get a high quality LCD that will take care of these issues, but they do cost quite a bit.

LCD's however are much better in some cases such as alot of work with text such as coding as LCD's tend to be much more crisp and sharp. So an LCd would be great in this situation. LCd's may be better with image editing and 3d rendering but I do all of this including gaming on a CRT.

Since you are gaming a CRT would be best unless you really need the space and don't mind spending a bit more to get a good quality monitor.

IMO size is not an issue and I would much rather have a CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    10ms or lower is the recommended if you want no shadowing at all I believe..
    Now that I do the math, 16ms should do, but 12ms should be better. There aren't a lot of 10ms ones that exist AFAIK, but you can't be guaranteed to have the kind of performance of a CRT monitor with any LCD, regardless of the response time.

I just can't get past the price tag, personally. The befits just aren't worth it most of the time IMO. If a CRT is really that heavy and you don't have a serious physical disability, then you just need to get stronger. I also can't see space as being an issue for 95% of gaming systems, so that shouldn't be an issue either (and weight would only be an issue for LANs anyway...).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information