Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33

    Default What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Here's a system I'm thinking of putting together. (It will be the first system I've built from scratch btw.)

    Athlon 64 3000+
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 2x512MB DDR PC-3200
    XFX nVidia 6600GT, AGP8x
    Seagate 80GB, IDE Ultra ATA 100

    What do you guys think of it? Any suggestions on different hardware that might be better for the about the same price?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgj2345
    Here's a system I'm thinking of putting together. (It will be the first system I've built from scratch btw.)

    Athlon 64 3000+
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 2x512MB DDR PC-3200
    XFX nVidia 6600GT, AGP8x
    Seagate 80GB, IDE Ultra ATA 100

    What do you guys think of it? Any suggestions on different hardware that might be better for the about the same price?
    Looks good but I think you should use a larger harddrive and maybe make it a SATA drive for close to the same price maybe a tish more.
    I"m waiting for the Nforce 4 chipset to come out before I build my AMD system. That way I'll be able to link a couple of PCI-express video cards together and watch those games hum along. Plus PCI-express cards seem to run a little less $$$ than their AGP counterpart and are faster.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-25-2004 at 04:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Looks good but I think you should use a larger harddrive and maybe make it a SATA drive for close to the same price maybe a tish more.
    Aggred... a 100GB maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I"m waiting for the Nforce 4 chipset to come out before I build my AMD system. That way I'll be able to link a couple of PCI-express video cards together and watch those games hum along.
    Some are already out
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Plus PCI-express cards seem to run a little less $$$ than their AGP counterpart and are faster.
    The reason they are cheaper is because there is more demand for the AGP versions atm, and their are more PCI-E cads just sitting on shelves because no many people have nForce4 or LGA775 MOBO's yet.

    Curently the proformance diffreance is zero between two identical cards, such as a PCI-E 6600GT and a AGP 6600GT (other than PCI-E having SLI possabilities)
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

    Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    can you recommend a power supply?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Any good quality 480W or higher unit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    489

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    As wayout said any quality 480w and above would be good. Some good brands are Fortron, Enermax, Antec, OCZ and Thermaltake. (yes Yawg I lsited thermaltake). I really like Forton PSU's as they are pretty cheap for what you get. As for the rest of your system are you overclocking?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amd_Lover2004


    Curently the proformance diffreance is zero between two identical cards, such as a PCI-E 6600GT and a AGP 6600GT (other than PCI-E having SLI possabilities)

    I was looking at AGP 8X versus the current PCI-Expesse's 16X and sure to be higher numbers in the future just as AGP increased until it seems to have maxed out at the current 8X.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I was looking at AGP 8X versus the current PCI-Expesse's 16X and sure to be higher numbers in the future just as AGP increased until it seems to have maxed out at the current 8X.
    Yes the bus is faster and will eventualy lead to cards faster than AGP can handle, but we havent hit that mark yet, if you havent noticed though ATI are not planning to make any X850's AGP style last I heard.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

    Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Hah! They have yet to even max out the 8x AGP bus.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: What do you think of Athlon 64 this system?

    Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    Hah! They have yet to even max out the 8x AGP bus.
    Thats what I was trying to point out, as it has a banwidth of 2.1GB/s if I remember correctly.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

    Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •