Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchasing a Video Card, need some input on a few things.

Default Re: Purchasing a Video Card, need some input on a few things.

I also have been thinking of modding a Power Supply in the case some how, wonder if Antec can create custom molds out of the material they used for the top cover of the aria case.. I would need something that looks like the shape of a quarter of a circle cut off at the top right of a circle, like an exhaust pipe, only big enough to hold a normal atx PSU, and then put screw holes in the top panel of the case and stick that on there, then attach a bigger WT PSU in that place and stick a 120mm Fan to replace where the original PSU was, and then put in a aftermarket CPU cooler.

------------

NM I figured out what I'll do, I am going to make a plexiglass encloser for a power supply to fit outside the box, and replace the open area where the old PSU was w/ a 120mm LED Fan of some sort, and then put 2 80mm fans or whatever I can fit in on each side panel, and put grills on them :)
    Last edited by Xeno326; 01-22-2005 at 07:51 AM.

just buy a bigger psu and put it in the case, no biggy, then you have a spare psu if required, or you can sell it. 450 - 550W would be my recommendation just to future proof yourself a bit. Not knocking you but that last case mod idea sounds as if it is going to look "ugly" so why bother when with a lot less hassle you can just replace the psu?
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Antec sell's custom designed 120mm fan PSU's bigger than 300W? can you show me this, I looked on their site about 5 times to find a PSU on there that looked just like mine but no luck at all in finding the 300W, and didn't even find one in a bigger size. How would I go about buying a bigger PSU that is the same shape and design, because this I would like, and then all I would do is add in 2 80mm fans on the inside and do a simple case mod like that.

why antec? I just put an acbel 450W in my box, 120mm fan works a treat
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

most atx compatible psu's have the same form factor thats all you need

the review that swayed me even came from this site

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=720

See from the looks of the power supply I doubt it would even work, cuz my power supply is shaped like this.

____________***_____________________
    ||||||||||||||***||||||||||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||***||||||120MM-FAN|||||||
    |_____|||||||***||||||||||||||||||||||||
    *****|||||||***||||||||||||||||||||||||
    *****|||||||***||||||||||||||||||||||||
    *****|____|***|____________________|
    Side View-------------Front View

and thats about half the side or maybe even a quarter of the size of a normal ATX power supply.

w/ the cpu heatsink set at the position just right inside the L shape on the bottom left, I would have no room for a normal ATX PSU. So what I need is an Antec designed PS that would be the same size as this one, but stronger in wattage, up to 350 or 400wt.

Any Ideas how I can get a PSU at about that size? also note that there the power cable is custom made and extends from the power supply onto a separate part of the case, on the back plate. so unlike normal power supplies where the fan is usually on the top and one in the back, the part you want facing the back to connect power is pretty big.

EDIT: First attempt at making the diagram smashed everything together w/ spaces. heres an idea of what my power supply looks like. *'s represent blank space, and then the actual design you can see.
    Last edited by Xeno326; 01-23-2005 at 05:20 AM.

OK I retract my previous comment in light of the new info provided, man thats a weird shaped psu. I guess you're back to modding the case :S

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno326
    awesome thanks for the replies, but I doubt if I purchased it from newegg they will allow me to send it back and trade it for another, I probably would have to trade it in for the same exact one which can suck. Know of an online store that I should purchase these cards from that will allow me to purchase one, if I don't like it send it back and get a different one?Thanks for the info so far.
    Unless it says so when you order, and it only does with OEM CPUs and some low-cost parts AFAIK, you can return anything to Newegg for something else or money. That's the best you'll get with a reliable online retailer. In any case, a 6800GT is really the only smart choice, unless you want something cheaper, in which case you get a 6800 or 6800GT. You shouldn't be considering the ATI line past the 9800 Pro range, which is still beaten by the 6600GT. Card specs are irrelevant, though the GeForce 6*** line has much more impressive specs than the ATI X800* line, anyway.

Don't worry about the PSU. That should be plenty for this system. It's just about the highest-quality 300W out there, and you won't find any microATX PSU better, and I wouldn't be modding a case as cool as the Antec Aria..
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-24-2005 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks man, thats some really good insight, ya I was reading up on antec last night and from how they test their PSU's the PSU is at minimum a 300 watt, they don't falsely advertise and then you find out it is a 280 watt or a bit less, so w/ this kind of PSU thats in the case which is of high quality, it can be most likely a 310 - 350 Watt at max. So ya I'll just go ahead and buy the 6800GT made by Gigabyte w/ the heat metal cooling on it plus the fan, and then stick in another PCI slot blower behind it.

Also I was having 2nd thoughts about modding the case hehe because it is such a nice case, and well, you never would of caught me dead buying a case close the the 100$ range, and seeing how it was 95 + fed ex cost of 15.99 it's a pretty expensive little case. What I did do was send Antec an email if they sell higher watt power supplies built the same way as they come w/ the aria case, so if I get a reply from that I'll let you all know here.

Thanks again for all the input, you guys have been great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information