Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading CPU & Memory, is it worth it?

Smile Upgrading CPU & Memory, is it worth it?

My current comp:
    MSI KT4 Ultra
    AMD 2000+ (Volcano 11 cooling it)
    1gb Kingston HyperX 2700 (2x512)
    ATI AIW Radeon 9800pro
    ...and the usual other stuff =)

I use my comp for gaming, graphics, recording TV, and the usual office type stuff. Would it be worth it to upgrade to an amd 2700+ (the highest the kt4 ultra will take) and Corsair XMS-extra low latency-3200 1gb (2x512)? Would the processor give a good boost but not the memory? This would cost just under $340 from newegg. I'd prefer to spend under $400 but if anyone has other options even stretched to under $500 I'd be interested in hearing them =)
    Thanks

Default Re: Upgrading CPU & Memory, is it worth it?

It probably wouldn't make too much of a noticeable difference. I personally don't think it's worth it. The processor will get a nice speed increase, but you already have some pretty good memory. Corsair is not the god in memory and some of the Kingston Hyper-X stuff outperforms Corsair XMS.

You can replace it with an athlon 64 setup if you want, but don't touch the RAM or CPU. Even on an A64 system, PC2700 won't restrict you much and it won't change much of anything on a socket A 333MHz FSB processor.

Talking Re: Upgrading CPU & Memory, is it worth it?

Thanks Yawgm0th and Beavo451. Yep, don't know why I didn't think of it before lol. Getting a new mobo and an amd64 would certainly be the better way to. Cheaper, I can get the amd64 2800+ and an MSI K8T mobo for about $170 at the lowest. I could even up the processor for not much more depeding on how high I want to go. I'll have to look into that some more =). Thanks for setting me straight =D

I'm thinking about going with the MSI "K8T Neo-FIS2R" and amd64 3400+ (with stock fan, not gonna do any o/cing). Now the problem here is that I only have a 350w Enermax eg365p-ve ps. I assume I'll need a new power supply? Also, I've always used mobos with the via chipset is there any advantage to going with nforce3?

Nforce 3 boards (such as the MSI K8N Neo) usually offer slightly better peformance and a better feature set (on-chip gigabit ethernet and firewall for example). Im refering to the Nforce 3 250GB chipset, the 150 was an early chipset that is now obsolete.

I wouldn't be thinking about socket 754 at all at this point...

It's really hard to say what the best course of action for you would be. You could go with an all-out board/cpu/gpu replacement and get a PCI-E socket 939 system, but that means no more AIW 9800 Pro. On the other hand, you could get a socket 939 board and processor with the nF3 Ultra chipset, meaning AGP and no PCI-E. That would really hurt upgradability, but it would be a lot cheaper right now.

Whatever you do, you'd want to get a new PSU (480W or more from a good brand name), and either a socket 939 Athlon 64 3200 or Athlon 64 3500,

I think I may just wait till this summer/fall and build a whole new system. I do think its important to get PCIe and that why I think I'll wait and see if prices come down a bit. for the moment I've come up with this after doing some research and checking newegg:

Thermaltake XaserV WinGo V7000C Blue Gaming Tower
    Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Power Supply
    MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum"
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939 (oem) (by fall I might be able to go with something faster)
    Kingston HyperX Series 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) Low Latency DDR PC-3200
    Thermaltake Venus 12 (I think the SilentTower would be awesome, but it doesn't look like the MSI mobo's have the required holes in the pcb)
    Videocard: wait and see what ATIs 500/520 look like later this year
    Other components I can take from my current comp.

Unless prices change, I wouldn't waste money on anything higher than a 3500. In fact, I'd just get the 3200 and overclock the hell out of it. It should hit 2.6GHz with decent cooling. For a non-OCed system, I'd stick with a 3500 unless I had a really big budget.

As for RAM, I'd either get some cheaper 2-3-3 PC3200. For something more expensive, OCZ Platinum EL rev. 2 is better, though Corsair 4400CS25PT would be even better for overclocking.

Other than that, it looks fine. Maybe ATI will take back the high-end market when its next cards come out, but for now 6600GT/6800/6800GT/6800 Ultra are pretty much the cards to get for mid-range or high-end systems.

If I decide to OC it, how easy is that to do now?

Thread Information