Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Me again, need some help on a newer build

Default Re: Me again, need some help on a newer build

Ah ok. How many additional fans would I need and how do i overclock processors ? Im really newb at overclocking. and atm should i overclock my graphics card ?

It depends on the case you decide to buy if any additional fans would help. Most of the time it is not required.

Also here is a very good guide on overclocking.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Overcloocking a video card is alot easier then overclocking your CPU. There are many tools available to overclock your video card. The basic procedure is to.

• Download an overclocking program like Rivatuner, Powerstrip, rage 3d tweak, etc. If you have a nvidia card I find Coolbits to be best which is a registry edit that enables overclocking in the nvidia cpanel.
    • Move the core slider about 5-10MHz
    • Download 3DMark 2005 and check for "snow". If there is any you overclocked too far and you should lower it. Continue doing this until you can find your maximum overclock which would be when 3Dmark does not lock up or shows no snow at all. After you find your max it may be good to check your temps.
    • Return Core to stock (remember your max though)
    • Now overclock the memory the same way, but look for artifacts.
    • Return core to max overclock to see if the memory and core are stable together. Test if they are stable by running 3Dmark a few times to make sure you have no problems. IT also may eb a good idea to play a game for a long period of time. You should notice anything wrong when playing the game and this will be a sign of your video card being overclocked too high.
    • If you do run into any problems then lower both memory and core until they do work together. If they already worked together then you are finished.

Of cours eif you want to OC further you would need better cooling for your video card.

Also the snow that i refered to int he procedure above are little whit dots on the screen (hence the name snow...) Artifacts are really weird sahpes that show up on your screen if your memory is oced too high. Both of these are very noticable if it happens.

EDIT: I just realized this forum had no stickys in the overclocking forum. Don't you guys thinkg a sticky on overclockign video cards or CPU's would be good? Also what about a sticky in the What to Buy category that is basically a Buyers Guide. I am sure Yawg would have no problem doing it since he does it everyday in this forum.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 03-09-2005 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks for the OC info =D Ya u guys sure sticky some OC info stuff it would help alot.

BTW the thermalRIght guys havent replied me yet on the thermalRight XP-120.

I was wondering if there are anymore heatsinks like those that can fit on the DFI lan party motherboard ?

And are there any other stuff to replace the fans of the gf6800U . I was thinking of an arctic silencer v5. Makes it quiet =D I want my comp to be quiet hehes.

BTW the thermalRIght guys havent replied me yet on the thermalRight XP-120.
    On their Compatibility List it says it will block the first PCI-E slot. It says nothing about the SLI board, but I am guessing it is the same. IN that case you will have get a different HSF so go with a XP-90 w/ Panaflo 92mm fan. It is compatible with it AFAIK,

er im kinda newb to these kinda stuff so can i trouble ya to point out these 2 parts for me ? :D

Ok I think I found :) Thanks alot guys.

Oh yah you also mentioned I should get some arctic silver 5. Can you tell me which ones to get , apart from the n5 silencer for the gf6800U ? Thanks :)

btw , I cant seem to find any BTX cases from them though theres some hybrids. Can you help me find one which has mobo and processor compatibility with mine ? thanks ! :)
    Last edited by Benzoid; 03-10-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benzoid
    btw , I cant seem to find any BTX cases from them though theres some hybrids. Can you help me find one which has mobo and processor compatibility with mine ? thanks ! :)
    No, they don't exist yet on the retail market. Forget about it...

ah ok

Welp it seems that my country ( Singapore ) does not have all the parts America has. Infact , its a pretty bad place to buy the parts you REALLY want.

On the Athlon 64 3200+ , most singapore companies do not import that for some customers have complained about heat problems ( I see the same on Intel Pentium Prescot range but I dunno why these guys say Intel is more stable ).

After reading some reviews though, It seems that a P4 3.2 ghz is infact better than a 3200+.

According to the pc guy I talked to , it seems that eVga and other brands are not sold here in singapore except Leadteck , Powercolor and such. Also , it seems that the GeForce 6800 Ultra wasnt built for PCI-E ? According to him it was built for the AGP slots but just had a PCI-E version shipped.
    Also , since it costs more than a radeon x800xt by a considerable 100 dollars+ and both performances are the same and since Radeon x800xt was built on the PCI-E , Im going for the radeon x800xt. The arctic nv5 silencer and ThermalRight xp-90 areant sold in singapore too , so im going for a rocket cooler solution.

Thus my final build ->
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    Gigabyte mobo 915 chipset
    PowerColor radeon x800xt
    Patriot ram 1 GB ( 2x512 )
    200 GB HDD
    Rocket cooling solution + fans

Thanks for the help though guys , wished singapore offered more choices , but im guessing ill be happy with my own build :D Thanks alot again !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information