Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Me again, need some help on a newer build

Default Me again, need some help on a newer build

Hehes I asked for builds 2 times already but that was basically for seeing which parts and familiarizing myself ( parents wasnt really enthusiastic about buying ) , but right now my mom told me to find a very good comp with very good parts . So , i decided to seek help from the people here again ( especially yawgmoth he helped me tons lol ) .

I got a very good bearing now already after the tons of help , so now im asking for a totally new comp , with a good build . Money isnt really an issue except it shouldnt be too expensive ( I cannot afford 2 gf cards :) )

Right now what im thinking of is probably a NF4 board that can support SLI so i can upgrade in future ( a good + decent priced one ) , a good AMD processor ( Not sure if the FX are worth the price ? ) , and probably a geforce 6800 ultra .

Can you guys recommend me a full build again ? Thanks alot ! The prices shoulda dropped abit now :)

Default Re: Me again, need some help on a newer build

If you want to go AMD + SLI, buy an NF4 SLI board (the ASUS one is good but have also heard good things about DFI) and an FX-55 processor if you have the money or anything above 3800+ will do a great job

Go with the 6800U and buy another one later, if you decide you need it
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Could you point out some additional parts ( PSU , fans etc ) too ? =D , as well as which companies i should choose to get the NF4 , and which specific model of processors. Im kinda very noob at this kinda things ( I remember someone saying er winchester core ? )

Thanks alot for your trouble if you guys can help ! :)

IMO SLI is not worth it at all unless you want the absolute best as of right now. I see no reason to spend quite a bit of money as an upgrade either. A regular NF4 non-SLI motherboard would be fine.

Could you at least give us some sort of budget to work with though? Too expensive to me would be different from yours. Also are you planning on overclocking?

Ill probably want SLI for upgradability , as well as overclocking. My budget should be around well.......im not sure I have no budget currently as long as it is not waaaayyyy too expensive . Im planning on getting 1 gb of ram , a gf6800U currently ( buying 1 to upgrade next time ) , an nf4 SLI board,arctic v5 silencer thingy ( if thats correct :D ) ,some fans ( could you guys recommend me a good amount of fans ? ) ,probably a BTX casing , no sound card , no monitors and no speakers ( already got those ) .

Also which PSU should I buy to ensure my computer will have enough power to run both gf6800U when the time comes ?

I also need a HDD , probably a 250 or 200 gb one. Which one will be more worth it for me to buy ?

Please advise =D Thanks alot
    Last edited by Benzoid; 03-06-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Since you are overclocking go with something like this.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ - $179.00
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - $225.00
    OCZ PowerStream 520W - $140.00
    Patriot PC3200 W/ XBL - $221.00
    Seagate 200GB - $123.00
    eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra - $499.00
    Thermalright XP-120 - $59.99
    Panaflo 120mm fan - $17.99

You can pick out your own case. Look for cases from Antec, Cooler Master, Lian Li and Silverstone. All make great cases.

You may have to check if the Thermalright XP-120 fits on that DFI board. I know it fits on the non-SLI board, but I am not sure about the SLI one.

I don't know if you need an OS, but you can go to newegg and buy Windows XP. You7 should also get some Arctic Silver 5. Also do you need mouse and keyboard? If you do go with a Logitech Elite keyboard and MX510 mouse. Also I don't know if you need aqn ptical drive, If you do go with the NEC 3520A. A floppy comes in handy sometimes so make sure to pick one up.

Should I go for an even more powerful processor like 3500+ or 3800+ ? Will it help alot more ? Might be looking for one with good overclockabiliy too. Also , how does a 3500+/3200+/3800+ compare to a P4 ? ( as in 3200+ is almost the same as a 3.2 ghz ? )

Thanks for ur info kooldrew really helped :) most likely ill be getting all of what u suggested

Don't compare the model numbers. For the most part, the Athlon 64s will actually do better than P4s of clockspeeds higher than the PR rating of the A64. It depends on the application, but for the most part a 3200, for example, will outperform a 3.4GHz, for example. In quite a few applications, especially gaming, the entire P4 line is outperformed by either the 2800, the 3000, or the 3200, regardless of which socket type you're talking about.

As for overclockability, a 3000 or 3200 will overclock just as far as a 3500 and probably on the same cooling, possibly even stock. If you can't get 2.6GHz out of a socket 939 Winchester, than you'd done something very wrong at some point. Having a 3500 won't get you any further for clockspeed, so stick with a 3200 or even 3000 for overclocking.

Kooldrew probably recommended that motherboard partially because it is basically the best overclocking motherboard in existence ATM.

so stick with a 3200 or even 3000 for overclocking.
    The 10x multiplier on the 3200+ should help with overclocking though.

Not too much. Just run a divider on the RAM and bump the base clock ("FSB") up if the RAM won't take the speeds. You usually lower the multiplier and use this method for more fine-tuning (jumping by 8MHz instead of 10, or 16 instead of 20, or 32 instead of 40, etc.). Still, the 3200 will be a little easier to overclock, because it's not completely identical to a 3000, just as a 3500 isn't identical to a 3200. The higher ones will attain the same speeds at lower voltages, it's just that they all top out around 2.7GHz on the Winchester core, for now anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information