Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First AMD system, needing some Last minute suggestions?

Default First AMD system, needing some Last minute suggestions?

I am finally making the move from Intel to AMD and was about to click the process button on my newegg order, but wanted to see if there are any suggestions that people with more AMD experience / knowledge might have. I will overclock, so please take into consideration any money saving areas...Like buying a slower CPU that will perform the same or better in an OC situation.

So far this is what is in my cart...

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe..I like the SLI for the future..and the 8 SATA RAID ports. 4 RAM slots and gigabit LAN....Is this a good board for OC? I will run water cooling BTW.

Athlon 64 3800+ socket 939 Retail...$371 US...is there a less expensive chip that will perform at least the same when overclocked??

1Gig OCZ PC-3500 2.5-3-3-7..This was the cheapest 2x512 3500 they had with OK timings. I will eventually upgrade with another gig..or two.

EVGA 6800GT 256 PCIe $379...again..the least expensive that they had.

Thanks for any suggestions...The main use for this CPU will be for gaming. Secondary use is some video editing/DVD authoring, photoshop and 3dmax.
    I already have all of the other peripherals and an Antec 550 ATX 1.1 PS.
    Last edited by matm347; 04-16-2005 at 04:54 AM.

Default Re: First AMD system, needing some Last minute suggestions?

You'll overclock? Just grab a 3200 and a decent $30-$50 HSF and you'll hit 2.6GHz. It's saves a lot of money over buying a more expensive CPU. You'll get even further with this, though. It's a Clawhammer with the cache disabled so it will overclock extremely well, though cooling becomes a more worthwhile investment.

For your motherboard, the DFI LANParty nF4 SLI is the best choice and the only one I'd consider (well, other than the DFI LANParty nF4 Ultra...).

For RAM, a GB of OCZ VX PC4000 would be best, but a GB of Crucial Ballistix wouldn't be bad. If that's still too expensive, this would be pretty good. It's worth $30 more than what you'd pay CAS 2.5 RAM IMO. That's if you don't want the Crucial or OCZ, though.

That 6800GT is perfect. Might make sense to get a third-party cooler (Arctic Cooling Silencers are quite good in my experience) so you can overclock that further. It should overclock past Ultra speeds with a good $20-$30 third-party cooler.

DOH! All this good info after the order is on it's way..Yawgm0th, do you think it's worth the hassle and expense of sending the CPU/RAM/MB back for what you suggested?

The total cost would actually come out to about the same, I would save $100 on the CPU, but spend 100 more in the RAM.
    The MB is about the same cost.
    Last edited by matm347; 04-19-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Yes. Unless it's already shipped, you can just cancel the order. Either way, I'd send it back. Nothing overclocks as well as VX, and nothing overclocks even close to as well as the DFI. A 3800 is a waste of money IMO since decent cooling and a cheaper CPU can equal it or beat it, overclocked or not. So yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

Well I made an attempt to RMA the suggested parts, but they were going to charge a few hundred for a restock fee, even though I was within the refund period.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I have a problem with this setup and will post it in the CPU discussion...I think that's what the problem is, but will post there to get more opinions.

Thread Information