Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which laptop would you get?

Default Which laptop would you get?

Between these two laptops, which one do you think is better? I've been leaning towards the more expensive one, but I don't know why it's more expensive. The video card, maybe?

Default Re: Which laptop would you get?

I'd probably go with the first one, but that is mainly due to my dislike of the Acer brand name. They've pulled some slick tricks in the past and I have no respect for them as a brand name and would have a difficult time recommending them to anyone.

You might want to wait for another opinion, however, from someone who isn't biased against Acer.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I've never heard of the other brand name, and I have a desktop Acer that's over ten years old and still works (except the CD drive died a couple years ago). Never had any problems with it, but I don't know that that's really a good comparison... All I can say is that my only bias against Acer is that it's an OEM, and you don't really have a choice with laptops, so that doesn't matter.

Looking at them, the Acer does look better enough in some areas to justify the price. But the 6600 isn't a poor performer so I might consider the ABS laptop.

Honestly though, I'd probably just customize a new Dell or even Alienware for a gaming laptop. I'm not a big fan of first-tier OEMs (I hate them, in fact...), but being second-tier isn't exactly better. Unless the same hardware is more expensive, I'd go with Dell (experience telling me Gateway laptops are terrible and HP is terrible in general). Unless you have a particular reason to but a pre-built off of Newegg, get something else.

Are there any other sites like alienware that make custom laptops? I like their products, but I'm only looking to spend around $2000 on a laptop.

6600 go=x700

Acer 8104 is okay...but Acer has just released the ferrari 4000 which has the AMD Turion processor.

The ABS is actually the Asus Z71V...I would suggest you buy it from someplace like www.istnc.com or www.proportable.com where you can customize to your exact specifications. I got a Z71V from istnc.com with a 1.86Ghz, 6600 Go, a gig of ram, 60 gig 7200 RPM Hd for only about 1550.

Pctorque.com has sagers if you would want that....

For more information about all sorts of different notebooks, you can visit www.notebookforums.com
    Last edited by J M; 06-05-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Honestly though, I'd probably just customize a new Dell or even Alienware for a gaming laptop. I'm not a big fan of first-tier OEMs (I hate them, in fact...), but being second-tier isn't exactly better. Unless the same hardware is more expensive, I'd go with Dell (experience telling me Gateway laptops are terrible and HP is terrible in general). Unless you have a particular reason to but a pre-built off of Newegg, get something else.
    Buying a dell wouldnt be such a bad idea either...you could get a specd 9300 with coupons for under 1500

Thread Information