Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Reborn the Monster (input wanted, and appreciated)

Default Reborn the Monster (input wanted, and appreciated)

Been posting around for a little bit and lurking even more as I get together a list of stuff to order for my new beast to take over the workload of my old gaming rig that is over 3 years old and just aint cutting it anymore.

This is just what I have come up with from what I read and seen so please feel free to suggest changes, maybe even drastic changes if I am being a total idiot somewhere along the line.

Processor
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

MoBo
    ABIT AN8-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Video
    eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

RAM
    OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail

Power
    Thermaltake W0057 PurePower ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail

Case
    AeroCool AEROENGINE C-class AEROENGINE-C BS Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Already got 2 decent 80gig HDs to put into it, as well as a generic ordinary DVD burner. I am still looking into what heatsink/fan setup to use on processor as there are just too many options so a suggestion on that or even just pointing me in the right dirrection would be nice. Also wondering how worth it it is to put aftermarket cooling on the graphics card?

EDIT: Currently looking at Thermalright's XP-120 heatsink but am curious if anyone has tried this on this MoBo yet as it's not listed at all on the compatibility chart (they list the regular AN8's but not the AN8-SLI's
    Last edited by Bakato; 07-10-2005 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: Reborn the Monster (input wanted, and appreciated)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakato
    I am still looking into what heatsink/fan setup to use on processor as there are just too many options so a suggestion on that or even just pointing me in the right dirrection would be nice. Also wondering how worth it it is to put aftermarket cooling on the graphics card?

EDIT: Currently looking at Thermalright's XP-120 heatsink but am curious if anyone has tried this on this MoBo yet as it's not listed at all on the compatibility chart (they list the regular AN8's but not the AN8-SLI's
    Stock cooling for the CPU and GPU is fine unless you intend on overclocking, in which case get the DFI nForce 4 Ultra or DFI nForce 4 SLI. I'd get one of those anyway, but unless you're overclocking, the ABIT will be fine (not that it would be bad if you do). I'd also not bother with SLI if you're not going to use it, and it looks like you're not. It'd also be best to switch the RAM to OCZ VX if you're going to overclock. Otherwise, the OCZ Platinum EL will be perfect.

I'd imagine if it works with the other ABIT socket 939s, it'll work with the SLI, but maybe do some Googling or check other forums to make sure. If you do go with aftermarket cooling for the GPU and CPU, I'd suggest the Arctic Cooling NV silencer. Arctic Cooling makes some damn good GPU coolers. They're marketed as being quiet, but they're damn good for pure cooling ability, too. For the CPU, their are a lot of choices and it all depends on how loud you're willing to take it and how much moeny you're willing to spend.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 07-10-2005 at 09:27 AM.

I would also get a different PSU. Especially if you are overclocking. A Fortron 500w Blue Storm would be a much better choice and cheaper. For the price of that TT you could even get an OCZ Powerstream 520w.

Why not get the 7800 GTX? Since it doesn't look like you're pressed for cash here. And I agree with the men, different ram/mobo/psu. DFI boards are pretty sweet.

Yeah, missed that price for PSU. The only real advantage to Thermaltake is that they're usually cheap. For that price, you'll get better ratings on the rails and the same wattage from a different company. OCZ, Antec, Enermax and Fortron tend to be good choices, especially for higher end systems.

And as said, I suppose you could throw in a 7800GTX, though you obviously don't quite have an unlimited budget, but a very, very high one.

If you want even more power then the Fortron 500w Blue Storm provides for not much more cash I would suggest a Sparkle FSP550-60PLG. This PSU is a step ahead of the OCZ Powerstream 520w.

Thread Information