Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new pc; some input plz!

Default Re: new pc; some input plz!

Hmm.. It seems that I'll be having quite a lot more cash for my PC than I first predicted. So, I've made the following changes in my configuration:

First, I've decided to replace the "GeCube X600 PRO 128 MB 128 bit PCI-e" with a Gigabyte X800 256 MB 256 bit w/ 12 pipelines. It's the model with passive cooling on it; it's recieved some nice reviews, and it's fairly cheap, so i figure it's a good choice.

Second, I think I'll get an SLI mobo. I know ATI cards don't support SLI now, and that I won't be able to use this X800 in the future either, but I still want the upgradeability.
    I was thinking about the Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra SLI, but I might go for an Asus board instead (Asus A8N-SLI). These are just about the only decent SLI mobo's available in the shop, in my price range at least.

As for the CPU, i think that the price range for Athlon 64's is a bit steep at the moment. I'd prefer to replace the gfx card than to get a 3200+ Winchester. Besides, the only Venice core Athlon 64 in the store is the 3000+ model.

I'll stick to the 512 meg ram stick; I can always get more later on.
    One question though; Should I get a TwinMOS, Infineon or Kingston stick? They're all 512 mb pc 3200, and cost the same.

I'd apreciate some input on this, thanks!!

BTW, I just realized that (if I'd take the Gigabyte mobo) I'll both have a passively cooled gfx card and a passively cooled mobo chipset. Is this really bad, or is it enough to by some case fans? I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to get a CM Cavalier 3, those have only one rear outlet and a small 80 mm front intake, which is covered pretty badly by the front bezel.

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

I'd say get the Gigabyte. Gigabyte would be my first choice for an SLI board if the DFI were unavailable.

Just try to get a Venice. I'd much rather have a 3000 Venice than a 3200 Winchester. Even on stock cooling the Venice will overclock higher. Hell, a few frequency changes in the BIOS and it will run at the same speed and same voltage for a lower price.

Don't stick to 512MB. You'll want more right away. It would make more sense to cut down to an Ultra motherboard and get 1GB of RAM. SLI isn't really much of an upgrading option. I'm not convinced it's (or CrossFire, for that matter) ever going to become useful for anything but the top-of-the-line graphics cards.

As for cooling, you'll need some case fans for sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll need to buy them. Many, many cases come with fans, and it's actually enough pretty often.

Getting an nF4Ultra wouldn't spare much cash, and I'm very much aware that I'll want more ram pretty soon, so I'll try to scrape together some more cash if possible and get that extra stick of ram. One question though; should I get one 1gb stick, or two 512mb?
    And what about the brands, do they really differ much when it comes to ordinary PC3200 memory?

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12