Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Notebook Specs

Default New Notebook Specs

I'm trying to put together a new notebook. I don't want it to be exactly a desktop replacement, but I want it to be darn close. Here's my want list:

15" screen
    1 GB RAM
    Athlon 64 3400+ (with HTT, if possible)
    6800 Go

Those are pretty much the must-haves. Anything else would be gravy, but I want to keep the overall price down as much as possible. Would I be better off buying a prebuilt, and, if so, from who? Or should I build it myself. I have plenty of desktop building experience, but zero notebook experience.

Default Re: New Notebook Specs

Notebook components are not something that you can just go and get. You;re pretty much stuck with getting an OEM type machine. That said, You'll find that Compaq is one of the few that even offer an AMD product.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: New Notebook Specs

HP too. Actually, they're the same thing.

There are several tier 2 OEMs that offer Athlon 64s, Sempron (not the socket A ones), and Turions, too. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend you go with an AMD laptop for gaming. Most OEMs don't even offer laptops with a 6800 in anything but they're high-end, super-expensive gaming laptop. The only exception I found (I've done some research myself recently) was one Dell model you can get with a 6800 in the customization page. I looked through HP/Compaq, Gateway/E-Machines, Alienware, IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. The Dell machine uses a Pentium M, and everyone else uses a Pentium M or Pentium 4 in their high-end gaming laptops. The only exception will be a tier 2 (or should I say tier 3? I'm kind of defining it myself based on simple logic...) pre-built that you can't customize.

Assuming you're American, Newegg.com has laptops from a couple different companies that, IIRC, include Athlon 64 (and friends)-based laptops with a 6800.

BTW, when you say HTT, are you referring to HyperTransport, or HyperThreading? The former will be on all Athlon 64s, Turions, and K8 Semprons, while the latter isn't a technology AMD even has.

So to wrap all this up, I'd actually suggest a Dell with a Pentium M and 6800. If you won't go Intel, then the pre-builts from an online retailer are probably your only choice. If you are willing to let the graphics slide, then the pre-builts and Hewlett-Packard are your only choices.

Thread Information