Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: YOUR thoughts

Smile YOUR thoughts

Ok, u guys said no to my idea of buying a custom computer off ebay. With some research, and a little bit of compromise on my part, i agree with you. so here is what i have put together (all items and prices are from newegg.com)

Ok, here it is. Give me your opinions, anything u would change or anything that could help, let me know if there's something in there i don't need or something i forgot that i do need, and i want to keep it around that price.
    thanks, u guys are truly the best, well u and beefysworld.

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1673S BK - Retail $43

RAIDMAX X1 ATX-909WBP Black/ Silver 0.7mm Japanese SECC Body / Aluminum Faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450watts PS2 ATX12V SATA Ready Power $75

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200M0 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $93

ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $122

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM $71

ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail $54

COOLER MASTER SAF-S12-E1 120 x 120 x 25mm SuperFlo Cooling Fan - Retail $10

MASSCOOL WhisperRock II 5F263B1M3 80mm Ball Cooling Fan - Retail $10

mushkin XP3200 Dual Pack 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 991357 - Retail
    (TWO GIGS OF THIS MEMORY, NOT ONE) $330

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail
    ASUS EN7800GTX/2DHTV/256 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Got the processor and the video card in a combo, together they cost $1009

Ok, so that's the system, i rounded a lot of those, the actual total comes to $1816.74 + $63.09 (shipping) = $1879.83

Thanks again guys

Default Re: YOUR thoughts

Don't get the DiamondMax 10. They have alot of problems. Also you will need a bigger PSU from a more refutable company and be sure it meets ATX 2.x standards.

And go with Twin 1gb sticks not 2 pairs of twin 512mb sticks.

imo, first, change the case to Thermaltake Tsunami for only 25 more extra dollars . its an exellent case which i have bought for myself just recently. read the reviews on that case and decide for yourself. i would highly recommend it anyhow.

second, get rid of that crappy Aspire 520 single+12v PSU. since you are getting that sweet ol' mighty 7800gtx with amd x2 4200, (very happy for you with these picks!) i would highly recommend the Enermax All in One Noise Taker Series. this is a true PSU for power hungry components such as the AMD's dual core series processors, and the new 7800gtx graphics card. get this PSU just in case if you do decide to switch to an SLI board so to save youself headache. its well worth every single penny, guarantee you will NOT be disapointed. powers everything smoothly without breaking a sweat. awesome PSU! gogo buy now, dont hesitate.

third, you absolutely need an aftermarket cooler for that AMD x2. you need either the Thermaltake Venus 12 or the nice and quiet Thermaltake Silent Boost K8. i am telling you, the stock fan wont do anything, you need copper fins to desipate heat better.

fourth, you need Thermal Compound. Arctic Silver 5 will make your processor happy, healthy, and will run cooler than any other compound out there. highly recommended!

fifth, get rid of that mushkin bull****, b/c you will be running 7800gtx and an AMD x2, you need a performance RAM or else those mushking will cause bottleneck, thus result in overall performance lose and unstable system. HIGHLY recommend the
    OCZ EL Platinum Rev.2 will suite your gaming needs, and as well as other important programs. overclock it or not, either way, excellent excellent RAM!

lets see whatelse, hm, thats it!, everything else looks good. goodluck with your set-up! keep us updated
    a8n32-sli delux
    amd4400+ toledo
    eVga7900gt ko (sli)
    ocz 2gb platinum ram
    logitech 5500 digital
    xfi elite pro
    viewsonic vx922
    pcpower&cooling 510 ps

Mushkin RAM is absolutely fine. He does not need an aftermarket cooler unless he is planning to overclock, which does not seem to be the case here. The case itsefls is fine as well, most of your comments are based on opinion and not factual information.
    The AS5 recommendation is a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    And go with Twin 1gb sticks not 2 pairs of twin 512mb sticks.
    Agreed. If you're going to get 2GBs, get two 1GB modules. They make them with 2-3-2 timings now so it's a better alternative to four 512MB sticks.

Also agreed on the aftermarket cooler. Get a Thermaltake Silentboost and maybe a NV Silencer 5 for video card if you wanta quiet system, otherwise leave everything stock if you're not overclocking. If you want to overclock later, it's not hard to get a cooler at that time.

For your hard drive get a SATA one, probably from Seagate due to the five-year warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more on the case but then you have a nearly $200 system so it probably makes sense.

ok, i'm getting a lot of feedback here, which i'm happy with, but it's kind of conflicting. so here's what i have gathered, let me know if it sounds good. sounds to me like i should switch to 2 1gig sticks of the ocz, go with the extra fan and as5, switch to a seagate harddrive, and maybe get a bigger powersupply. i think the case is fine so i'll leave that. and also i read the tweaktown review on the out of the box overclocked bfg tech 7800gtx, i might switch to that, we'll have to see because i can't get that card and the processor in the combo deal, but there is another maker that whose card has the same specs as the bfg techs card.

Not stock... BFG overclocks their boards and warrants them at the overclocked speed.

As to the memory, if you plan on overclocking, either the OCZ VX series modules or the Mushkin Redline modules will be the best bet if you choose a motherboard that can offer the higher voltages that these modules thrive on. And speaking of the choice of mainboard (again, this is assuming that overclocking lies somewhere in your future), I'd go with the DFI board over the Asus. It has tested better in most areas and does offer those high voltage levels for the memory I mentioned above. Excellent board and you can get it with SLI support or without, depending on your needs.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by joshuajames
    sounds to me like i should switch to 2 1gig sticks of the ocz
    If you plan on overclocking, do what Darth said and get OCZ VX or Mushkin Redline. I'd suggest you either get this or just 1GB of the RAM you initially picked out.

Also, as Darth said switch to a DFI nForce 4 Ultra or SLI if you do want to overclock. Hell, you should probably switch anyway. It's just about the best motherboard regardless of overclocking.

Thread Information