Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building new gaming computer

1. Question Building new gaming computer

I am building a computer for myself. The budget is $1200 for everything except the monitor. Here is what I have come up with:

Lite-On dvd burner SOHW-1673S BK
    Aspire X-cruise black with 420w power supply X-CRUISE-BK/420
    Western Digital caviar 120gb 7200rpm WD1200JB
    DFI lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d socket 939 nvidia nforce4 ultra atx
    SN# LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr
    Gigabyte geforce 6800gt pcie GV-NX68T256DH
    Corsair xms 1gb pc3200 with leds CMX1024-3200PRO
    AMD athlon 64 3700 San Diego 1ghz fsb socket 939 ADA3700BNBOX

It's mostly going to be used for word processing, internet, and some very extreme gaming (gta vice city, gta san andreas, halo 1 + 2, nfsu 2). Will I need anything else - coolers, wires and cables, more power, etc?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Building new gaming computer

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy997@yahoo.com
    I am building a computer for myself. The budget is $1200 for everything except the monitor. Here is what I have come up with:

Lite-On dvd burner SOHW-1673S BK
    Aspire X-cruise black with 420w power supply X-CRUISE-BK/420
    Western Digital caviar 120gb 7200rpm WD1200JB
    DFI lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d socket 939 nvidia nforce4 ultra atx
    SN# LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr
    Gigabyte geforce 6800gt pcie GV-NX68T256DH
    Corsair xms 1gb pc3200 with leds CMX1024-3200PRO
    AMD athlon 64 3700 San Diego 1ghz fsb socket 939 ADA3700BNBOX

It's mostly going to be used for word processing, internet, and some very extreme gaming (gta vice city, gta san andreas, halo 1 + 2, nfsu 2). Will I need anything else - coolers, wires and cables, more power, etc?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I see a possible problem with the PSU. What kind of 420w is it? I'd go bigger just to make sure it can handle a power hungry system like the one your getting. Don't skimp on a PSU or there will most likely be a game that will make your system restart itself or shut it down while you are playing it. Those new video cards really suckup the power.

3. Default Re: Building new gaming computer

The power supply is the one that comes with the case. What do you reccommend as an upgrade?

Personally I would suggest getting a 500 to 600 watt psu for a system like that. Your best bet would be going to newegg and just looking at the psu category. Since I dont know your budget or personal tastes, i cant really reccomend one at the moment. But as I said Newegg is the absolute best way to go for most people...

P.S. Most psus that come with cases are usually not of the highest quality...

The power supply is the one that comes with the case. What do you reccommend as an upgrade?

I can say this is a good unit but the price has went up since I bought it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104934

My old Antec Truepower 430watt units just were not doing the job anymore but the PSU above in the link does pretty good. I'm sure other people here can recommend something that cost less. This FSP unit is the only unit I've been using in my high end systems since last year and the cost keeps going up on it for some strange reason, so look around and read reviews before you buy a PSU becuase it is an important part to having a stable gaming P.C..

6. Question Re: Building new gaming computer

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't really like the color of the psu.
    Will this one do just as well as Sponge's suggestion?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817193002

Onto other things, do I need any cooling supplies - video, cpu, case?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't really like the color of the psu.
    Will this one do just as well as Sponge's suggestion?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817193002

Onto other things, do I need any cooling supplies - video, cpu, case?

Power supplies are a tough to judge without being able to test them for stability and the one you picked out doesn't list much for Specifications, although it does have Dual +12V rails which is a good thing when running the new PCIe video card, but thats not the only rail it'll feed off of. I'm guessing the PSU will be O.K. but I wish the output rating was atleast listed for it.

I looked at the case you have picked out earlier but I can't remember if it came with fans, I'm guessing it did. Unless your planning to do some serious overclocking I'm guessing the stock cooling should be O.K. but read reveiws on the case your getting to see what others have to say about it. Some cases have much better airflow than others and getting a good case is a great way to get inexpensive cooling and makes a good start for future cooling upgrades.

For that system I'd recommend something at least 480W from a good company. Thermaltake, Antec, Enermax, and OCZ are some good example. I can't say for sure whether or not the brand Spongebob linked to is any good. What I can say for sure is that no case PSU I've ever seen will even have sufficient wattage for this system, assuming it's not just a crappy PSU to start with. Even the companies more known for their PSUs than cases don't bundle PSUs much over 400W with their cases. If you do plan on overclocking, something well over 500W with dual 12v rails will be needed. Also, don't judge the PSU based on it's looks. Even with a window, nobody will ever look at your PSU long enough to care what it looks like.

One other thing on the PSU: You need one with a 24-pin power connector. Unfortunately, the only way to tell on most online retailer sites is to look at the pictures. This method works fine, it just might take you some time to find one.

As for cooling, wires, and the like, unless you plan on overclocking, you'll be fine. The stock AMD cooler is more than enough unless the case has literally no airflow, and even then it might suffice. The stock HSF for the video card and for the chipset on the motherboard is more than enough regardless of airflow. A stock CPU will overheat long before either of those. Regardless of what you do, you probably won't need any sort of extra wires. The case, PSU, and motherboard will almost surely be bundled with everything you need.

Other than the PSU, the only piece of your hardware that I'd change for sure its the RAM. If you're going to have 1GB of RAM, the only sensible choice is dual 512MB sticks. I'd say if you're not overclocking, get either this or this, the more expensive one providing marginally better performance.

You could also change the hard drive for a SATA, preferably Seagate due to the longer warranty. Neither of these are absolutely necessary, and without checking I'd say a Western Digital IDE drive is probably the cheapest choice you could make. SATA costs only a little more, but the features and performance aren't worth paying much for, so it's not a huge deal. Personally, I'd spend the $5 or so more for a SATA version of the drive.

9. Default Re: Building new gaming computer

Do I need a sata hd controller to run just one seagate 120gb seagate hd at 7200rpm? ST3120827AS

Do I need a sata hd controller to run just one seagate 120gb seagate hd at 7200rpm? ST3120827AS

Your board supports up to 4 sata drives so the answer is NO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information