Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need some help with new setup

Default Need some help with new setup

Its that time again and I'm ready for a new box. No OCing.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9
    Chip: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    Fan: Thermaltake Silent Boost
    Ram: OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    HD: WD Caviar 250gb SATA150
    DVD: Lite-On SOHW-1673S

Would you recommend any changes?

I need recommendations on a GFX card (under $250 but willing to go to $300 if I'm really missing out on something), Case, and a Power Supply.

Also, what is a good audio card with that has an optical output?

Thanks

Edit: BTW, what happened to Wiggo?
    Last edited by sauer; 08-17-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: Need some help with new setup

I'm going to go ahead and assume your American, but most of my advice will apply even if you're not, just not the Newegg links.

Change the motherboard to this and save some money. Or, if you think you will eventually OC, even if you don't plan to now, spend some more and get this.

Assuming you go with the cheaper motherboard, throw some more money at the processor and get a 3200. Sicne you don't plan on OCing, at least for now, this is not the area to skimp in.

Change the hard drive to the SATA II version.

For your video card, I'd recommend a 6800GT, or at least a 256MB 6800 (which is cheaper, though both are in your price range). You could get a cheaper ATI card that performs better in many games, but it's better to go with the 6800GT IMO because PS 3.0 will provide noticably better image quality and the performance improvements will mean you might go from 74 to 83 FPS at 1600x1200 in some game, which is an improvement your eyes can't physically see. In most of the games in which framerates aren't well over 70, the 6800GT will perform better.

For a case, that's up to personal preference a lot, but I like them cheap. I've yet to spend more than $40 USD on a shipped case, but most people asking for advice here seem to pick out a case that's at least $40 before shipping. So you can go for some fancy $50 case, or you can save your oney and get a nice cheap, but good case for a much more reasonable price. I tend to recommend Raidmax cases a lot because they make good cases for cheap prices. For example, here's my own case. Granted, the pictures are (and always have been) inaccurate, and the back has spots for two 80mm fans, as opposed to a single 60mm, as seen in the picture. It's sturdy, fairly lightweight, and with a little bit of modding provided great cooling, though a single exhaust fan and switching around the side fans would be more than enough for your system.

For your power supply, since you won't be overclocking, something between 450W and 500W should probably do it. I'd recommend Thermaltake as it makes quality PSUs for a good price. I wouldn't recommend most TT PSUs (though their a couple really good models) for overclocking, but for a stock system, a 480W TT PSU should be perfect. The only thing you need to be careful of is the type of connector. Make sure it has a 24-pin power connector instead of the older 20-pin. Depending on where you shop (preferably Newegg for U.S. users), the way to find out is usually by looking at the pictures. That's the only way to tell on Newegg ATM.

Don't know a whole lot about sound cards, except that Creative is basically the way to go. Granted, you'll probably be fine with just onboard. It's not quite as good as a standalone sound card, but today's onboard audio is quite good and most people won't find the difference enough to justify the rediculous cost for a newer Creative sound card.

Wiggo, uh... died... Yeah, he's dead.

Yeah I'm American.

Is there a brand of 6800gt you would recommend?

I actually have an unused case lying around, and coincidentally it is the exact one you linked.

Does this PS look good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153020
    It appears to have a 20->24 adapter

I would prefer an SB audio card but I don't think any of them have optical outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer
    Is there a brand of 6800gt you would recommend?
    The cheapest that doesn't have reduced speeds. Or, you can look at either the packages (look at the pictures; they usually show all of the games and software bundled with the card). You can also go by cooling, Leadtek having about the best cooling, if you wanted to overclock the card.

Stick with that case then. There's nothing a fancier case will get you, except for a lighter wallet

Nevermind Thermaltake, they don't seem to have any cheap PSUs with the 24-pin connector. This Antec is great for the price and has the 24-pin connector. I'd go with that.

Not sure about optical. Don't really follow sound cards much, though I do recall reading something regarding what you're talking about... something about how no Creative SB cards have opical out...

Thread Information