Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Computer Help

Default Re: New Computer Help

Let's start with a cheaper motherboard that doesn't have stuff you'll never use. SLI will probably never be a viable choice for increasing upgradability. It will be a good choice for those looking for performance greater than any modern games are capable of utilizing.

The processor is good, though you could get a much cheaper one and overclock it, if you're up to it.

The video card is a good choice.

The RAM has poor timings and you'll either want two 512MB sticks or two 1GB sticks, not a single 1GB stick. I'd recommend this. The money saved in other areas should make up for the cost increase.

The case is too expensive. If you really like the way it looks, fine. It's your money. I'd suggest something a lot cheaper. I like Raidmax cases because they're extremely cheap without being low-quality. Here's mine. Get something you like, but don't spend $90+ shipping on it. Even $50 for a case is a lot.

The power supply is probably overkill, but it will help upgradability and overclocking, should you ever do either.

Great DVD burner. I have one myself. Make sure you get it with some of the combo media. I got a 25 pack of DVD-Rs for free with $6 shipping when I got mine.

Sennheiser headphones have really good sound quality, but as a gamer you're going to want to be using a headset (unless you don't play shooters...). This is mine, though you can spend more on a better one, if you want. I'd recommend Logitech for headsets. Mine has pretty good sound quality on both ends and is easily the most comfortable headset (or headphones, for that matter) I've ever put on my head.

The hard drive depends on what you think you'll need for space. My gaming machine has an 80GB but I really wish it had a 160GB or at least a 120GB, or just a second hard drive. I'd recommend you get either a Seagate or Western Digital. You might as well get a SATA drive, too, because they aren't any more expensive.

For cooling, you're in good shape. If you get that case you'll want to switch the side fans to intake as they ship as exhaust, which doesn't help things. You should also get a couple cheap 80mm fans for the back.

Since youre buying new you might consider upgrading the video card to a Geforce 7800 GT for about $100US more. It looks like it does better than the best 6800 ultra card. You might not need that much graphics power yet but you never know what the near future will have instore and from what I read the 6800 series might be replaced by it soon, so this might be food for thought for you.

It's only about $60 more, and of course it does better than a 6800 Ultra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Songebob
    from what I read the 6800 series might be replaced by it soon
    What does that even mean?

In any case, it's certainly worth the extra money, if you can afford it.

Ok, so I can use some more fans on the back, and I cant really spend anymore money, Im already spending more than I would like as it is. Im 15, so I dont have a whole lot of money. Is there some way to lower the price, wait for christmas season or somethin.
    Last edited by Titan343; 10-26-2005 at 07:04 PM.

The fans will cost very little, so that's no big deal. I have nine case fans in my case (which really isn't necessary and most of them don't even help much), and their combined cost is less than $9. They were a different brand when I got them, but they're identical to this. It also cost $0.95 for one when you buy 15 or more, but now it costs $0.99 when you buy 20 or more.

To save money, you can drop that processor in favor of this one. The difference is that the San Diego core 3700 has 1 MB of L2 cache, which helps, but not a whole lot. You won't see much difference with the 3500, because it operates at the same clock frequency.

You can still get a cheaper headset, if necessary.

Ok, thanks for the help. Also, how long will this thing last me, before I will need to upgrade.
    Last edited by Titan343; 10-27-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Thread Information