Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Default Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Well, i simply selected what yawg suggested and some off your list (better/or worse).
    For example i gave you a mouse and keyboard set that is probably better than the one your getting, so it added a little bit more money on. Same with the HDD, RAM, and Power Supply. But why do you want to spend 70-80 bucks on a case? I doubt the case they provided you is that much. Things that building your own pc offers is definitely having the free choice to choose optimal brands for your situation. But its obvious that having a prebuilt pc is better for you so you can go ahead and do that. Did you try ibuypower.com?
    Spongebob, where did you get half life from..he is talking about hl2 =D.

CASE : HOT NEW! X-Discover Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Color)
    CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)Asus A8N5X nForce4 Chipset SATA RAID PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
    MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
    VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE
    MONITOR & LCD : NONE
    HARD DRIVE : 120GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Seagate 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive)
    Hard Drive 2 : NONE
    Optical Drive : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2 : NONE
    SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    $1140.00
    I tried to match is with my newegg one, closely enough, except the HDD, motherboard, mouse and keyboard. It comes roughly the same, but labor would probably make the prebuilt one better for you. After shipping its 1240.00.

Spongebob, it is Half life 2 bronze and Age of Mythology, which isn't that old and I think still sells for around $30 or so but not sure. I was just estimated the cost of those games if you went out and bought them new. The total that Cyberpower is charging for those 2 games is only $6. Half life 2 is free with the system and AOM is $6. Yes I am aware of AOEIII and its on my list for xmas ;) I have been playing AOEII for like the past 5 years, great game!

I am actually not that much of a noobie. I am 33 years old and I've bought totally custom systems for the past 13-15 years where I do a bunch of research each time and than pick all the parts out myself. I spent a LOT of time researching parts whenever I do. Here's the thing though, I havent done this in like 6-7 years, so I have been out of the game for long enough to where I am not familiar with all the new hardware. I JUST started researching it, starting with this forum and already I have learned a good amount from the search button on this site. I have never done any computer building but I have done plenty of swapping hard drives, video cards, sound cards, modems, ethernet cards,memory etc etc. I've just never gone as far as swapping a whole MB and/or processor.

Cyberpower actually really does have awesome prices. (check it out) for their systems, but you are absolutely right, the one thing is service. Thats always or at least usually the downside to the places with the best prices, is the poor service record and Cyberpower is no different. The other thing is they are SLOW to get the system to you. I have ordered from them 2X before, 1 for me one for a brother and they are always late. But neither of us had problems with the systems, and both ran damn fast based on all good component selections at the time. And having the 1 yr onsite warranty is atleast worth something.

Honestly, I am still debating trying it on my own this time. I have a couple of friends into computers and i know a guy who would build it for around $100-$150 if I buy all the parts.

My current computer is a PII 350, lol, with 128mb ram and a 3dfx Video card with i think only 16MB? it was a good card at the time. This system I have is like 6-7 years old.maybe more, I forget, but it's well overdue for replacement! The fans are shot in it and everything so the cpu and power supply run hot as hell, can't believe it hasnt blow up yet. You should see this thing, I've had the case open forever (for cooling) and its all dusty inside etc....what a mess, lol.

Actually I have a computer here on the floor only a couple of years old that my best friend gave me a while back that only needs a HD, but I wanted something a little faster. this one has an Asus A7V335 MB, not even sure of the processor but i think its an AMD, it has 512MB Kingston memory, 128MB video card (msi nvidia 8870), DVD player, not sure if its a burner, floppy etc...like I said, its just missing a hard drive. It has a really nice bright metallic blue case with a total of 4 fans and the see through plexiglass. The guy i mentioned build it custom, but my friend removed the HD for soemthing and than built a real expensive one and didnt need this one anymore. Anyhow, I was just thinking to use this shell have the innards gutted and buy all new parts, except for the floppy drive & fans. That way I save the money on the case at least :)

Whats an X700? That would still be good for AOEIII?? I'd really liek to be able to run games at their maximum settings otherwise you are missing a lot of the beauty of the new game. I was thinking a 6800GS as a minimum... how does the X700 compare to this?

AsianBatman,
    I am pretty sure ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are the same company or at least affiliates. if you look, they have the same exact configuration systems with the same exact parts.

Glad you at elast took the time to configure a system and see what I was saying is true about the price. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kbrees
    i am sure you could not duplicate it EXACTLY for less money going to newegg and buying all those exact parts seperately and THAT is the point I am making.
    I've already conceded that point. That even applies to the major OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.). But as with them, you can get a better PC for less by choosing your own parts. Because of that, I find the point to be mostly irrelevent. But if you really think it's that much trouble to build it yourself that you'd rather have a slightly worse or slightly more expensive systems, that's certainly your choice.

And again, other than the 3.0 HD, I don't see what better parts for less money that you are talking about??

Have you even looked at the options of the configurator's on the Cyberpower AMD system's??
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/athlon_sys.asp

Asianbatman went and did it and he realized the price comes out to around the same, and you can configure a darned good sytem there. The ONLY advantage of doing it newegg style is if A.) you enjoy building it on your own or B.) you absolutely HAVE to have a particular component or components that a configurator might not offer, even if they offer something of similar quality.

And I definitely wouldn't say it applies to the major OEM's, like Dell as they are a LOT less customizable (hardware wise) and quite a bit more costly for the parts you get. When it comes to the major OEM's I would agree it's probably better to build your own.

IMO, the strongest and main argument against configuring a system at a place like Cyberpower is you don't want to deal with lousy customer service. Other than that, it's hard to beat the TOTAL value.
    Last edited by kbreese; 12-04-2005 at 06:20 AM.

kbreese, I totally see and understand your point and you should go that route as it's the one that you feel most comfortable and happier with.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianBatman
    Spongebob, where did you get half life from..he is talking about hl2 =D.

Word for word from his post above my other post on this thread.
    (-2 free games, half Life & AOM = $70 value)

kbreese, no the ATI based x700 video cards are not as fast as a GeForce 7800GT or even the 6800GS, but it does run all the modern graphic intense games decently. I'm not too sure if the highest settings are possible with it on everything although I know its possible on Halflife 2 without even so much as a flitch. I brought this up becuase its the one card I know will do the job at the least cost, plus its PCI express, and yes it will do just fine with AOE3 and even a system demanding game like BF2, I'm not too sure about the highest settings on BF2 since I never tinkered with the game settings much while using that card except maybe raising the screen resolution up a bit from the defualt setting. Keep in mind your other hardware such as the CPU and system ram will play a part in everything, but I'm guessing with what your considering getting that won't be a problem. I'd stay away from value ram if you plan to overclock though.

One other thing I thought might interest you is certain brands of the GeForce 7800GT offer a free copy of Call Of Duty 2, I didn't get it with the BFG brand GeForce 7800GT's I purchased a month or so earlier but they do offer it now. Maybe that company you purchase your system from will use a brand that has the promotion for no extra cost providing your still considering that high end video card for your system.

When I mentioned Half Life the second time i didn't think it was neccesary to specify since I already said previously that it was half life 2 ;)

Anyhow, thaks for the feedback on the video cards. I think I am just going to go with the 6800GS which should be plenty for my needs. What exactly is BF2? I am assuming Battlefield 2? Is that a star wars game?

Here is the latest system i configured. I think I might go with this one. I got it with only 1X512MB ram, and plan to just add another 1X512 stick of the same ram a little later on.

I upgraded the better XMS memory, upgraded the processor & motherboard. I just feel comfortable with an ASUS b/c I have always had good luck with them and I know they have a good rep. Anyhow here it is. Not bad for $1034 in my opinion:

*BASE_PRICE: [+695]

CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [+9] (Black Color)

CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

FREEGAME: Free "Half-Life 2 Bronze" Download Coupon

FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

HDD: 120GB Hard Drive [+22] (SATA150 - Seagate 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive)

KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard [+2] (Logitech Office Pro - Black Color)

MOUSE: PS2 MS USB INTELLIMOUSE MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR)

MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+34]

MEMORY: 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+25])

NETWORK: ONBOARD GB LAN

POWERSUPPLY: **Cyberpower Recommended** NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply [+39]

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE [+39]

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS

USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+169]

_PRICE: (+1034)

Yeah BF2 = Battlefield 2= WW2 game, not starwars! Its considered one of the most and maybe the most system demanding games out today unless something more system demanding has popped into the picture in the last month or so.

The system your buying sounds like one you'll be happy with for a long time, the only upgrade I think you'd possibly want would maybe be more system ram in the near future. 1gb will soon be the standard if you really are considering running everything at the max. Infact the above mentioned games recommended specifications call for that amount and I'm sure more software like it is right around the corner.

ASUS makes great products in my opinion but from EVERY review that I've read in the past few months it sounds like DFI (Lanparty) makes the best Socket 939 mainboard. Infact it seems like a no brainer on which brand to buy in that catagory to me, atleast as of now, but I'm sure the ASUS board will be alright for you if your saving some cash going that way. Good luck with the new system.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information