Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Default Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

With the whole price issue aside, i think you should try to build your own system...people like me and yawg who build many systems see alot of benefit from building it. You set it up the way you want, you get the brands you want. Sure you can get a good price for certain things on those sites, but sometimes they overcharge in some areas, and some things you don't need and you can eliminate that from your own build to save money. Also people who build their own machines usaully download free software if you know what i mean to save money also. Considering how old you are, you only live once. ^_^. So try to build a computer atleast. As i said, the system i built from new egg, i went generously with certain parts that can be bought cheaper.

Edit: you definitely need 1 gb, and you should downgrade the proccesor, it won't give you a boost in game performance, only if you heavly multitask with alot of things.

Well my thinking on the processor was that everything besides the actual processor and motherboard is easy for me to change, as in the past I have changed all components but those two. So I figured I'd get the best processor & MB I can for the money & than I can always add memory (doesn't get any easier to add memory to a comp, just snap em in), or change Video cards, sound cards or HD's later on.

As far as building my own, I know what you mean & you make some good points. Don't get me wrong, I definitely know there is value in building your own. I'd like to pick all my own parts but I really don't want to build it b/c I really feel I would run into problems and it would turn into this major headache when all I'd want to do was get the thing running so I could play some AOEIII! Maybe I could find someone somewhat local on one of the computer forums to build it for a good price. I think the other guy that my friend knows wants like $200 to build it which I think is high & definitely takes any value out of ordering all the specific parts I want.
    Last edited by kbreese; 12-05-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kbreese
    Well my thinking on the processor was that everything besides the actual processor and motherboard is easy for me to change, as in the past I have changed all components but those two. So I figured I'd get the best processor & MB I can for the money & than I can always add memory (doesn't get any easier to add memory to a comp, just snap em in), or change Video cards, sound cards or HD's later on.
    I agree with you on that.... I've never updated a processor that I can remember without selling the old system or trashing the board and starting fresh since companies change the CPU socket size often to keep you buying both parts nowdays, leaving you with few or impratical upgrade options. If you get a good CPU now chances are that by the time your ready to update it you'll want a new mainboard to go with the CPU. You could probably get by without an X2/dual core CPU, they are slower than their single core counterpart for gaming from what I've read but there are some adavatages to both.

You sound like the kind of person that woundn't have a problem putting a system together yourself, sounds to me like you'd have the insentive to do it with a fair amount of ease. You should consider AsianBatman's advise a little more and do it yourself. If you need help you found the right place to ask questions. :)

Well like I said I have changed everything in a computer other than MB & CPU...I have swapped HD's but that was easy b/c it was a WD HD, that makes it real easy to format the drive with the tools floppy they provide (a 2 year old can follow prompts) and loading windows is simple too, just time consuming (same thing).

What worries me is things I don't know. I don't know what's all involved in it. Arent there some real kinda technical things you have to do with setting jumpers or something to that effect? I also have no DOS skills whatsoever.

If its just a matter of screwing everything into the case and than loading software where you just follow prompts, well anyone can do that, but I have a feeling theres a lot more to it than that

By the way, YawGmoth, you said you didn't think eVGA made motherboards but they do, here is the board that the initial system I quoted comes with:

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail...temno=A4856001

I am not mobo expert, so guys please let me know how the specs look. They seem good to me, but again I'm no expert.

According to this chart, it performs better than the chaintech you referenced:

http://www.motherboards.org/ranking/...ds/amd939pcix/
    Last edited by kbreese; 12-05-2005 at 03:17 AM.

Honestly i would not use a eVGA board...cause there not known for motherboards...they just recently made them. 200 bucks is why to much for building a computer..all it takes it screwing down the components and putting stuff in the right place. The hardest part is probably figuring out where to put the case power button to the motherboard. But i don't want you hating us when you run into trouble. HA

It just has a few more features... Besides, that's a silly excuse for a review site. The numerical ratings they give are based off practically nothing.

What worries me is things I don't know. I don't know what's all involved in it. Arent there some real kinda technical things you have to do with setting jumpers or something to that effect? I also have no DOS skills whatsoever.

If its just a matter of screwing everything into the case and than loading software where you just follow prompts, well anyone can do that, but I have a feeling theres a lot more to it than that
    There isn't much to installing todays hardware, just put it where it goes and and hook up the cables, about a 15 minute job. I wouldn't let jumper settings worry you, most of todays boards are almost jumper free and the jumper settings that remain are ones that you probably won't need to touch unless you decide to disable onboard hardware. Installing the O.S. on a new harddrive and updating it and the system drivers are the most time consuming things but atleast you can walk away from the OS install and let it do its thing while you do something else. Win XP is very easy to install and DOS skills won't be needed.

Darn, and this whole time i been using Dos to install windows..

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/832/...ows/index.html

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information