Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Default Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Hey guys a few of you have hinted about getting software for free. I really need an operating system...hopefully the best version of XP and possible MS office, basic. Can someone throw me a bone as to where i can obtain these. I get emails a lot for Xp+office for like 489 but assume it's crap. But I don't know....

Whats the best OS for gaming?

There are student versions of Windows XP you can get for free, and you can certainly pirate it... Otherwise, you'll have to buy it. Best to go with OEM and save yourself some money. Go with either XP Pro or Home. Pro has some nice features, but I highly doubt they'll be even remotely useful to you. You can research more on your own, but generally you'll find a lot of silly people saying "Oh Pro is sooo much better it's more stable and faster and its awesome!!!!" or something to that effect, when in reality they're identical, minus a few networking features.

You don't need MS Office. Get Open Office from openoffice.org. It's completely free, can save in all MS formats (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.), and is functionally no different than MS Office.

Wow, great info, thanks! Actually I bought my girlfriend a dell computer for xmas and it comes with XP Home edition SP2. Can I just use the disk they supply with the computer to copy it onto my computer? Will i still be able to get updates??

Also, thats awesome info about Open Office. So if she needs to email something in an MS word or excel format to someone who has MS Word, she can send a document or spreadsheet this open office and the person can open it in the MS word or excel as if it were the same thing??

No. You'll need to use a seperate key. You can certainly use the disk, but it's no good without a key.

Yes, she'll be able it as if it were the same thing. Occasionally (rarely, I'd say), you get minor differences. For example, I recently made a PowerPoint for a school project, and the bullets turned up as underscores. It was a little wierd, but it didn't really hurt anything.

I don't see why I'd need to use a seperate key. I mean what if I install a new hardrive in her computer than i'd have to reload the OS and re-enter the key again. Anyhtime anyone upgrades HD's they have to do this and they don't have to go out and buy a new OS each time. I know you technically aren't supposed to do it on a seperate computer, and I won't b/c its illegal. I am just theoretically speaking. And theoretically speaking it doesn't make any sense that it wouldn't work.

After you enter the cdkey a certain amount of time it gets disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by kbreese
    I don't see why I'd need to use a seperate key. I mean what if I install a new hardrive in her computer than i'd have to reload the OS and re-enter the key again. Anyhtime anyone upgrades HD's they have to do this and they don't have to go out and buy a new OS each time.
    Not just and HDD, but if she changed enough hardware, she might actually have to buy a new one. XP checks certain pieces of your hardware, and they become associated with that key. Also, you can't use the same key at the same time on multiple computers. You have to check the key with MS, and it either won't activate or will deactivate the copy of Windows on the other computer when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Not just and HDD, but if she changed enough hardware, she might actually have to buy a new one. XP checks certain pieces of your hardware, and they become associated with that key. Also, you can't use the same key at the same time on multiple computers. You have to check the key with MS, and it either won't activate or will deactivate the copy of Windows on the other computer when you do.
    hmm, I was told by a few people this isn't true, and that if you wanted to you could use the same disc for more than one comp. THEORETICALLY SPEAKING of course. Hmm...what to believe...

hmm, I was told by a few people this isn't true,
    Then they don't know what they're talking about. Even a retail version of XP requires reactivation with enough hardware changes. OEMs technically shouldn't allow reactivation, although I think MS will let you do it anyway.
    and that if you wanted to you could use the same disc for more than one comp
    Nope. Only a key for a corporate version of Windows XP Professional will do this.

Well the system just arrived today, figured I'd check back with some pictures. How does this wiring look to you guys? I have heards complaints about how their wiring is usually a mess, but this looks fine to me. Everything it tied and out of the way, but than again, I guess I really don't know what a real good wiring job looks like.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information