Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyppc

Question Gyppc

Hello, I have a HP Pavilion with a P4SD-LA cobra mother board. It is ok, but I really, really want to know if anyone knows what other higher end mother board I can replace it with.
    I want to get a fairly high end mother board that can take 4 gigs of ddr ram and at least pentium 4 3.6 processor, with hyper threading of course.
    Does anyone out ther have some Ideas they can give me?
    I would certainly appreciate it, although hp wouldn't agree.

Sincerely
    Scott Gyppc Bailey

2. Default Re: Gyppc

Ok I looked at your old mobo and found that it is a socket 478. Are you planning to get a new processor and a new mobo at the same time? If so, I would probably upgrade to a socket 775 mobo and processor. I looked on newegg and found that there is no intel processor for socket 478 that operates at 3.6. There are plenty of processors that operate at 3.6 and above if you get one for socket 775. Also are you planning on getting a video card? Your board has an agp slot. While you are upgrading the mobo, maybe it's a good time to think about getting a mobo with a pci express slot or two.

Default Re: Gyppc

Hello Porsche. Yes, I am looking to replace the mother board and the processors. I like the socket 775 idea. It sounds great! I am very new to upgrading and building PC's.
    Your Idea is just what I was looking at. I just do not know which MOBO Processor bundle would be right for my case. I am useing an HP Pavilion a445w case. If you could possibly send me more info on some MOBO Bundles I would greatly appreciate it.
    My E Mail address is SBailey668@aol.com if you could find your way clear to send me as much info on these MOBO w/ processor bundles I would appreciate it.
    Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Thanks again.
    Scott.

Hello Gary, It's scott. Gyppc. I installed Windows XP Pro SP2, and it seems that there is so much missing. I seem to be missing dll,s tools and alot of other things. I heard that Office was supposed to come with XP Pro. could you let me know if this id true , about the office. I am missing common start up entries in msconfig.
    I was wondering if you knew a way to repair an install of XP Pro without all the formatting and such?
    I am still trying to gather the money to get my amd mobo and everything else on my wishlist.
    Thanks
    Sincerely
    Scott

Besides Office (which does not come with XP) what else do you think you are missing?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I am not sure I was just told that office was supposed to come with XP Pro and I am always having a microsoft VM line interpreter error and ntdll errors.

I subscribe to several PC magazines and their description of XP Pro is different from what is on my disk. I got my disk at Walmart so it is OEM and I have to pay almost $300.00 for a support call.
    Thank you for answering my post.
    Sincerely Scott.

7. Default Re: Gyppc

Well, in this case, I would just reinstall windows. If you are missing so many parts, you might want to clean off the install cd.

(If you are a car guy, any meguiars polish or scratch remover does wonders on the scratches. If not, toothpaste works well. You just need to apply with a cloth and wipe off with a wet cloth. Just make sure the paste doesn't get dry and gritty or it will put some pretty good scratches on there.)

Reinstalling is not that hard. I just had to do it, as a matter of fact. If you keep getting those errors, you might want to return the disk and say that it never worked. I'm not sure if that will go over well, though. You can email microsoft support and see what they suggest.

All XP Pro operating system cd's are the same basic thing. Some have SP1a, no SP, or SP2. You can configure windows differently, but I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

By the way, did you ever get the mobo / processor upgrade figured out?

Thank you so much Gary. No I didn't get the mobo yet. I got very busy moving into a new place and it took what I was going to use for the mobo. I am still trying to find the perfect Mobo bundle. Mobo with dual core processor installed and what ever else. I found that a Mobo bunlde is less expensive than just the processor alone!
    I still want the amd dual core 939 socket you told me about but I reformatted my pc and forgot to save the page you sent with the AMD mobo on it. It was around $839.00. If you could resend it to me I would appreciat it very much.
    Thanks again Gary.
    Sincerely
    Scott Bailey

If you are in need of an office suite you may want to try out OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/ . It is a complete (and totally free ) program that can easily replace MS Office.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

10. Default Re: Gyppc

I believe I sent you this setup, but it didn't cost $839.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor $295
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103562

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard $123
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor $326
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103588

If you wanted an extreme processor for a little more, go with this one. It can overclock like no other and the core is based on the FX-60 which costs in the thousands. It will still work with the DFI mobo I listed above.

You would be in pretty good shape if you chose any of those processors and the DFI mobo. I would wait to upgrade, though. AMD will be coming out with new cores and sockets soon. The socket 939 system will still be good for quite a while after the release, but if you want the latest and best, wait a while and see what comes out.

By the way, who is Garry? (I'm Chris, if you forgot)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information