Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build me a computer for both computation and game

Default Build me a computer for both computation and game

Hi There
    I plan to buy a computer for both computation and game. Besides Monitor,I plan to spend around $1500
    I will run some commercial CFD software and coding myself and install both WinXP and Linux on it.
    What I have thought is
    CPU Intel P-D 830(Have not use AMD b4)
    Motherboard Gigabytes Royal 81955 ( is it better than ASUS P5WD2 Premium)
    Ram at least 2G DDR2(I prefer to 4G)
    Hard Drive 160~250G

Can Any body help me for the rest and revise the CPU and monther board

Thx

Default Re: Build me a computer for both computation and game

Is the $1500 USD?

Change the motherboard to a DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity and the processor to an Athlon 64 X2 3800. Not having used AMD before is probably the dumbest excuse I've ever heard for reasons why people choose Intel when AMD is ahead. They are functionally identical in pretty much everything, except the current generation of AMD processors is a lot faster than Intel's current lineup.

Get dual 1GB sticks of PC3200. It's probably best that you get RAM rated at CAS 2.5. Corsair, OCZ, and Mushkin are all good choices. There's no way in hell you'll ever use 4GBs on this machine. Network servers and databases can use that, not any sort of desktop, regardless of what it's doing.

For your video card, you should get a GeForce 7800GTX. EVGA and XFX are a couple decent brands, off the top of my head.

I'd say go for a 250GB SATA drive. Generally, 250GB provides the best space-to-dollar ratio.

Did you need recommendations for case and peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.)?

It is about $1500Could you please give me a link for comparison Athlon 64 X2 3800 and Intel 830?
    3800 is 2G 830 is 3 G why AMD is better?
    Also, I plan to buy it in China, not easy to find DFI, any other recommend?
    for the RAM why you recommend DDR but not DDR2 ?
    and is 2G enough as I was thinking 4G?

If you can recommend some keyboard and mounse etc, I will appreciate it.

BTW, I will use it for large computation, presently we test in one of my friend's PC which is P-4 3.2G 2G RAM, usually, it takes 2 day or 3 to finish one case.

I hope to finish in half day or one

For the second time, $1500 in what currency?
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2484
    Clock speed doesn't matter that much.
    MSI, ECS, Foxconn, Chaintech, ASUS and ABIT should all be good.
    DDR2 is not compatible with AMD systems, not does it provide any improvement over DDR.
    For the second time, 2GB is enough. It's more than enough, in fact.

Any Logitech keyboard will do. For your mouse, I'd recommend you choose between either Logitech or a Razor. If you want one of the few good wireless gaming mice, the Logitech MX1000 is quite good. If not, the Razer Copperback is even better. If you want something cheaper, a Razer Diamondback or even a Viper would be good. I don't know about all the availability of these mice in China, though...

Thanks a lots
    $1500 is USD
    I guess I would save my money a little from Video card at present time as I have to do work more before the summer.

I plan to buy a cheap card for regular usage and some small game first now. any recommendation? After summer ,I would like to buy a better card.

If the mice is really nice , I can buy it in US. The reason I will buy those parts in China is that I will go to China next month and can get some discount there. Same rule apply to the mother board, if DFI is much better than others, I will choose DFI here.

What brand of 250G hard disc you will recommend?

Smile Re: Build me a computer for both computation and game

I can definitely buy MSI, ECS, Foxconn, Chaintech, ASUS and ABIT in China.

Which one and which type you would recommend for the X2 3800+

HI

I read some article about the 3800+ X2 and DFI NF4. Seems most people choose DFI NF4 is for over clocking. Is it very safe to overclocking (I never did it before)? As I mentioned, I might need the computer running for continue 3 or 4 days, is it good for over clocking? will it over heat? If it is good, and you highly recommend DFI NF4 Infinity, I will go for it in China or US. If it is not that safe, could you recommend a stable motherboard and assocaited component(Memory etc?
    And could you explain a little bit between the Infinity and LanParty?

Thx

For something cheap now, I'd say a 6600GT is the sweet spot. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to afford something better now.
    I'd recommend Seagate, simply because of the five-year warranty. Western Digital is the number 2 choice.

There are only two types of X2 3800 processors you can choose: OEM and Retail. Retail comes with a heatsink/fan and a warranty, and doesn't cost much more. Go for retail.

Any DFI nForce 4 board will be good for overclocking, probably better than all the other brands. You should be able to get a decent overclock without stability problems from heat.

The main difference between LANParty and Infinity is that the LANParty has two PCI-E 16x slots and is modable to Ultra. In addition, it has a couple more SATA ports, IIRC. It's not a huge enough difference to justify the price increase IMO.

Thanks a lots,

I will make my decision after the holiday season and see if I should by 7800 or 6600 Video card, if I can not find good stuff in China, I will buy it in all parts US
    would you recommend from website like newegg or sth else?

And Where I can find a step by step instruction for overclocking? Or if I can ask the store do it as I guess I will buy monitor in sore and ask store to put all parts together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information