Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New video card or overhaul?

Default Re: New video card or overhaul?

I would get rid of it and get a decent one to replace it. Stay very clear of cheapo units. Plus, if you plan on building your next PC yourself, getting a very good unit now will pay off then. If this is your plan, stick to units with 500W+ and 30A or more on the 12V+ rail(s).
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

A 6800gs would be my way to go especially if you are entertaining the thought of Vista down the track a little, it will need specific hardware requirements from what little detail Microsoft releasing.

You will need a new psu, 230W , thats got to be the smallest psu I've seen for ages, I'd look for 450W or better.

Your cpu is fine, and though the 400fsb is a slight concern, I don't think you'll notice it much in everyday usage.

If a new card gets you through another 12-18 months before having to upgrade it will give the market time to adjust to new technology and pricing will drop.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Why not spring for the 7800? It can be had for under (but right around) $300 and you'll have the latest and greatest for AGP.

A new PSU is a must, make sure you get a native 24 pin as you can use it now(assuming you have a 20-pin) as well as with your new CPU in another year or so.

Because spending $300 on an AGP card is just not a good idea. I would seriously question spending anything over $200 for a new AGP card. And seeing it is a 3GHz CPU, it must be an 800MHz FSB, they never made them in the lower CPUs.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Heh, I never realized how underpowered the supply was...Never really thought much about it, to be honest. But that's why you guys are the experts! ;D

Anyway, at the moment, thanks to all your help I'll be getting that 6800GS after purchasing a new power supply to aid it. Squeezing out another year or so from this PC would be optimal, and ultimately building my own PCI Express machine in due time. That way, I can strip some of the compatible components (such as the new power supply) and add them to the "future" computer. Plus, a good amount of time to get that money for the new comp. together will be a plus. Who knows, this might just be my dedicated Recording studio computer sometime next year ;D

And on that note, because I'm just that concerned on getting the right supply, do any brands jump out as suggestions? Any brands that I should stay away from?

As always, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    Because spending $300 on an AGP card is just not a good idea. I would seriously question spending anything over $200 for a new AGP card. And seeing it is a 3GHz CPU, it must be an 800MHz FSB, they never made them in the lower CPUs.
    Not sure if it matters all that much, but the processor is hyperthreading or somethin' like that...Perhaps 2x400 = 800?
    Dunno how the whole shebang works...Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    ..... And seeing it is a 3GHz CPU, it must be an 800MHz FSB, they never made them in the lower CPUs......
    Well first off I was going to disagree but you are correct, Intel site Link , so I'm wondering what cpu it is now

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
    ......100 megahertz bus clock.....
    Quad pumped 100mhz = 400 fsb, but as you see by the link there is no 3.0ghz P4 cpu with a 400fsb, that said, I notice my 3.2 isn't in that list either
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-28-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

According to the now-Lenovo site,

230 Watt Supply with variable speed fan
    110 Volt or 220 Volt operation controlled by a switch on the back of the unit
    APM 1.2 and ACPI 1.0b compliant

Not sure what the brand would be: I'd assume that it's either IBM itself or an outsourced brand...I can take a look on the back of the unit if needed.

Thanks again!
    I'm surprised you didn't have problems with your system before with such a weak PSU running your stuff. You'll definitly need a new PSU if you plan to upgrade into the new generation of video cards. Don't be fooled by brand names or wattages when you pick out your PSU. I recommend something with dual 12v rails, or even better yet get one with multiple 12v rails, that way you'll most likely be set for the future when you decide to upgrade the whole system. Even though these come with a 24 pin main connector most have a 20 pin adapter that should fit your old mainboard.

I took a look over at Tiger Direct and stumbled upon this Xion 600W PowerReal ATX PSU for about $90. On the specs, it looks to be one of the few I've found with 30A on the 12+V rail. Also, the price seems to be pretty moderate to swallow. However, I'm not sure if it has the dual rails that were mentioned earlier, or if it's only one. In fact, what do the dual rails even do? Just another slot for power?

And whilst I'm thinking of it...is there much of a difference in quality, etc. between the XFX, eVGA, or other brands of the 6800GS besides the DVI/VGA outputs?
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-28-2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added link to PSU

I took a look over at Tiger Direct and stumbled upon this Xion 600W PowerReal ATX PSU for about $90. On the specs, it looks to be one of the few I've found with 30A on the 12+V rail. Also, the price seems to be pretty moderate to swallow. However, I'm not sure if it has the dual rails that were mentioned earlier, or if it's only one. In fact, what do the dual rails even do? Just another slot for power?

And whilst I'm thinking of it...is there much of a difference in quality, etc. between the XFX, eVGA, or other brands of the 6800GS besides the DVI/VGA outputs?
    It has dual rails which help feed the power hungry components you have in your system like your new video card for instance. Although the video card feeds off of other rails it rely's heavily on the 12v. Most of the newer PSU's have dual 12v rails and the new quality PSU's have multiple 12V rails.

I don't beleive there is much of a difference in the brand of 6800GS card you get, athough I've never tried one, maybe warranty and software packaging would be about it. I recommend checking out lots of reviews before buying anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information