Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Where should I buy

Default Where should I buy

I need another work computer.

I am thinking Intel based.

Looking mid range, but I would like something that can be upgraded over time.

I was thinking dual core but a requirement.

Default Re: Where should I buy

The words "Intel" and "upgraded over time" just do not go. Intel lost me for this very reason, they change chipsets/sockets like their undies.

You really should wait a few months until AMD launches their AM2 socket, it will cause AMD to lower their socket 939 prices, which will cause Intel to lower their's as well.

That will not happen. Plus, AM2 is going to be crap anyways, it will not cause Intel a moment of lost sleep.

Get a 955/975 based motherboard and a 920D (great entry level dual core CPU) for now. The 975 based boards will be Conroe compatible and Conroe is going to let Intel hand AMD their asses BIGTIME very soon. Spend as much as possible on good ram if overclocking, but if you are running stock speeds, just get a decent 2GB kit and you will have plenty in reserve. ASUS has the only 975 based board out right now and it is expensive, but a good 955 based board will still be viable for some time.

Intel has been working very hard and AMD has only made the AM2 in response. The AM2 is basically the processors that are out now with DDR2 memory controllers. Quite dissapointing IMO and not worth the wait at all.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I did not suggest he BUY an AM2...only wait until the new sockets come out so the older stuff's price will drop.

On a side note, have you seen any 3d party info comparing Intel's new chips against AMDs?? I hope Intel starts producing a decent chip, it's about time!

I think I came across wrong. I realize you didn't mean that, but AM2 is not going to cause any prices to drop. Intel will not need to drop prices to compete and if the Conroe is anywhere near as good as the initial tests, they have not only come back, but they have come back with a vengence. AMD seems to have rested on their laurels and it was not a good idea. Hardware wars are fought batle by battle, but Intel is definitely poised to win the next. Just as ATI seems to have finally gotten the upper hand on Nvidia as well. This sure is great for us consumers!

I just wouldn't expect the current S939 stuff to get much cheaper, and in Canada it has actually gone up in prices lately.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

The law of supply/demand is not an exception in the CPU hardware world. It will not be a dramatic price drop at first, but after a month or so things will definitely come down. Look at the 7800GTXs, they were over $500 before the 7900s came out, now they are ~$400. My 4400+ was $497 this past January, now it's $460. Although we know better, S939 will be considered "outdated" by the vast majority of people shopping for computers(that don't know any better) and the people who sell them. Somewhat similar to the automotive market, an '04 CTS-V might be exactly the same as an '05, but the dealership will heavily discount the '04 simply for the fact that it's an '04 and already considered a year old.<o:p></o:p>

Thread Information