Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im ordering a Dell laptop, what should I get?

Default Re: Im ordering a Dell laptop, what should I get?

Bleh. You should get a T2400 and use the extra money for a 7200RPM hard drive. The hard drive is by far the slowest component in the computer. It could be a 1GHz Yonah and that would still be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Bleh. You should get a T2400 and use the extra money for a 7200RPM hard drive. The hard drive is by far the slowest component in the computer. It could be a 1GHz Yonah and that would still be true.
    That surprises me. I knew harddrives were slow but I didn't think RPM rating made much of a difference, I thought cache (buffer) size made more of a difference than RPM speed.

a couple other things, do you think the extra accident warranty is worth it? I figure in about 2 years I might be ready for a new laptop.
    Any other coupon deals you know of? I could only find the 2.

UPDATE!!!! I just ordered the system. Instead of ordering online I decided to call Dell to see if they haggle. They do!!!! I was able to get an additional $51 off the total price plus a $50 mail in rebate.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 06-05-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Cache size makes a big difference in some situations, but for the most part a large RPM difference means a lot more. You can really tell the difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM, but you'd have to benchmark 8MB vs. 16MB of cache.

Well if you ever want to change that X1400....
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/349/1/
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    The 1505 that I'm looking at does use DDR2 system ram.
    I thought that you were planning on buying a mainstream dell laptop. They are still on ddr until the summer according to maxpc. The gaming ones are not I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    I thought that you were planning on buying a mainstream dell laptop. They are still on ddr until the summer according to maxpc. The gaming ones are not I assume.
    You are either confused or reading an issue from 2004. All Intel-based laptops have been DDr2 for years, and Dell doesn't sell AMD processors in laptops. In fact, basically the entire industry has switched to DDR2, with only older systems using DDR.

Quote Originally Posted by Amd_Lover2004
    Well if you ever want to change that X1400....
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/349/1/
    Thanks for that link. I'm guessing the 1705 and 1505 are pretty close to the same in design. I'll have to keep my eye open for a better laptop video card if the X1400 is crap.

You are either confused or reading an issue from 2004. All Intel-based laptops have been DDr2 for years, and Dell doesn't sell AMD processors in laptops. In fact, basically the entire industry has switched to DDR2, with only older systems using DDR.
    Look in your best buy catalog in the newspaper, half the Dell laptops or more will be using ddr.

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    Look in your best buy catalog in the newspaper, half the Dell laptops or more will be using ddr.
    Look on the Dell web site. Every system (laptops and desktops) is using DDR2. They have been for years. Now your local catalogs may do one of two things: They might have older DDR-based systems, and they might just advertise DDR even though it is in fact DDR2.

And quite frankly, this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've engaged in for quite some time. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You should probably just take what you're told as a fact, rather than arguing about things of which you know little.

Look on the Dell web site. Every system (laptops and desktops) is using DDR2. They have been for years. Now your local catalogs may do one of two things: They might have older DDR-based systems, and they might just advertise DDR even though it is in fact DDR2.

And quite frankly, this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've engaged in for quite some time. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You should probably just take what you're told as a fact, rather than arguing about things of which you know little.
    I purchsed my dell in 2005 and it came with 512 mb of ddr ram.
    My best buy catalog denotes wether the machine comes with ddr or ddr2, most of the dells dont come with ddr2. I have proof. I would have stepped down a long time ago if I didn't have proof. Forgive me if I come off rude or stubborn, I wish not to offend you.
    Always remember;"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still 'mentally disabled. '"
    Last edited by orangutang91; 06-09-2006 at 02:34 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information