Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretend it's your birthday...

Dont buy one of those expensive custom cases. Not worth it. I've got a guy locally that sells me cool looking no name case for 50$ that have USB front access under an alum bezel and stylish alum boardering stuff on it. Find a deal. Cases and Monitors and mouses and keyboards and heatsinks and speakers and fans and anything else that doesn't have PCB in it. OK maybe not speakers. But find a deal on what you like, or if you find some no name something that you think would fit your needs, buy it. You can get alum no name cases at PC shows for sub-$100. At $300 a case should perform routine sexual favors to be worth what you paid.

A RAID setup is completely on the mobo and acts as one real fast double size hard drive. 2 40Gb drives make one real fast 80Gb under RAID. Set that up before you install windows and always backup important files to CD just to make sure. And make yourself familiar with rebuilding your computer. Remember the aim is to make a stable high performing machine, but that doesnt always happen the first time.

Get Win 2kPro or XP Pro and get used to a new OS, you'll be doing it in 2-3 years anyway. I didn't say this, but get it for free. Whether by friend or internet. I didnt say that thou.

I would probably go 2kpro, I've heard you have to call and 'activate' xp, that's not something I want to do...I've also heard of massive hardware and software problems, again, not something I want to do. KT266a chipset sounds about like what I was looking at, you guys recommend a brand? I was looking at an ASUS earlier but I've heard Gigabyte isn't bad...

Beefy Guest

ahem.. pretend you aren't listening to this.. *you can get a version of XP that doesn't need activation* I'd have to definitely suggest you try for XP if you can. It's such a nice operating system to use, especially for a new PC like yours will be. There's not really that many software / hardware problems either. most of them got ironed out pretty quickly when appropriate drivers / patches came out that supported XP properly..

There's a lot of good motherboards out at the moment. IF you have a look in the Motherboard threads here on TT, you'll see some suggestions that other people have made, or boards to avoid due to problems. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Yeah, i'd go with Win XP Pro (Pro = no activation)
    I never had fun with 2kPro and im actually backing up files as we sp[eak to put it on, but ill prolly go back to XP Pro soon. I HATE the way XP handles cd burners, they still work, but i dont like the way it works all the time. You have to use the XP built in software for my burner, and that never burns above 4x for me. Sony CRX145e. Other than that, you have to get those damn burn popups to go away (fairly easy after first time) and I dont think it runs internet as fast as it could (bandwidth smaller than i think others might run) but then again there might be registry key additions to change that. Thats just my experience, i might be doing something wrong. That happens alot, right Beef?

Beefy Guest

Ummm... can't say it does.. sorry.. Must be the user on this one.. :)

In my experience, I've used the inbuilt burning software twice, once with my Sony CRX140e, and once with my 24x12x40 Lite On. Both worked fine. But I prefer Nero / Clone CD to burn with anyway. There's no reason why these shouldn't work on your system as well...

Those 'burn popups', or the pop ups in general, are there to be helpful. If, like most people, you don't like them, then they are easily turned off.

As for the Net, since upgrading my downloads have been actually 1kB / s faster on average.

Jedi, did you do a fresh install or upgrade from something else? A few people seem to have niggling little problems from upgrading.... which fix themselves after a clean install...

Anyways, something else I forgot to say last time.. I've personally got two PC's running on MSI boards, and I've found them to be very stable. so there's one personal statement about a motherboard to buy.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    Yeah, i'd go with Win XP Pro (Pro = no activation)
    uhh... jedi, your wrong there, Corporate = no activation

Home = Phone Activation and Registration code
    Pro = Just that 25 number/letter code

There's a corporate?
    I think we were talking about the same thing, just different names.

I did a fresh install, but i run three different profiles with women who dont know how to maintain a PC, and i've done several install and ininstalls of progs, and d/l'ed a bunch of other stuff. Right now im running on a new install i did 3 hrs ago. Ill post again after having used it with only one profile and knowing exactly what registry key to screw with and not installing a whole lotta progs. I'll just blame the performance loss of the last PC on computer demons/PC gremlins...

It occurs to me that a lot of folks who create graphics (as in - those who do it for a living) use Macs:?:

I think XP does have a corporate version that requires purchase of corporate licensing:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

Macs are good if you are serious abouting dedicating the machine to graphics.. PC's are almost as good in that respect, but they are better in the long run due to everything else you can use em for...

Jedi, did you get a copy of XP from someone's original XP cd, or did you get the copy that came from the net somewhere like most other people? From what I'd heard, Pro still needs activation, but the 'corporate' version from the net doesn't need any.

I've used MACs off and on, there's no where near enough boost in performance for me to justify a doubling of the price. If I had the money to own BOTH a PC and a MAC then I'd do so, but I just can't justify sole MAC ownership. Besides, most corporate design firms use big PC workstations running 'exotic' OSes :) I'll investigate the XP issue further, I just don't like the idea of 'activating' it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information