Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: motherboard search

Default motherboard search

Since I discovered my EPoX 8K3A+ motherboard was dying due to leaking capacitators, I'm now searching for a new motherboard. I want to keep most if not all the current hardware and not spend more than $100, and I was wondering if much of an upgrade would be possible considering Socket A has become outdated.

I found a Soyo KT400 Lite and a few KT600's up on EBay. How do they compare to my old EPoX board? I read the specs but I can't tell if I would notice.

Any other advice/board suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks to everybody who has been helping me on these boards.

My specs:
    CPU: Athlon XP 2100+
    RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM PC2700
    Hard drive: Western Digital 250 GB SE Caviar, and 80GB Caviar both 7200rpm
    Graphics: GeForce 4 ti4200
    Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Power: 350W Antec that came with the Antec ATX case
    Last edited by euphoriafish; 06-30-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: I didn't think Soyo Dragon's were still for sale and then after posting I found some

Default Re: motherboard search

Take a look at www.newegg.com and you should be able to find something that suits you for cheap.

This is cheap, reliable, and gets the job done. IMO you'd be better off doing a complete upgrade (keeping only the hard drive and sound card), but if you can't afford it (remember, you can sell the old parts), this motherboard replacement will get the job done.

Oh. I wish I had seen that before I went through with the whole EBay nonsense. But that was a very helpful suggestion, thank you. I have very dated computer knowledge and tend to put off upgrades until I absolutely have to. But I should start selling off the parts to upgrade a bit at a time.

Do you have any advice on selling them? I don't have original packaging for anything anymore. Are there alternatives to auctioning?

Ebay tends to provide the most money, but the costs are greater as well. What I use is the Anandtech.com forums. There's a "for sale/trade" section with a huge trading community. I've probably had fifty transactions there. You'll need to set up an account, and be prepared to ship before payment because you don't have any heatware, the system used to verify a trader's integrity.

I'd start by buying a new power supply, say a 500W or 550W, and sell the old one. You'll have to sell pretty much everything else at once. You could consider selling it as a whole machine (minus the sound card), which can increase total profits.

Thread Information