Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reccomendations for a comp.

Default Re: Reccomendations for a comp.

Ya but I could get it on sale for like 180 dolla! It supports higher res. thanks for not getting mad. I live in a milieu where my opinion is not highly regarded.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    Entry level Conroe is the best bang for the buck, even wit hAMD's price drops. IF you are gonna go AMD, then AM2 is the only route. And you won't need a PCI network card, all mobos come with 2 connections.
    An entry-level Core 2 Duo processor costs more than an AM2 processor and motherboard combined. AM2 is quite competitive at the low-end, especially with overclocking. More importantly, Core 2 Duo processors are not currently available, and compatible motherboards have very limited availability. If he wants to wait a couple weeks and see, Core 2 might make more sense then. Right now, AM2 is the only choice.

Also, most motherboards do not come with two RJ-45 connectors. Some of the high-end ones do. Most come with a single 10/100 chipset, and some decent ones come with a 10/100/1000 chipset. But he certainly won't need a PCI LAN card for any reason.

$180 for a 7600GT is way too much. I purchased a used 7800GT for that price not too long ago. Also, SLI is also not cost-effective with that particular card, IMO. You won't run any modern games at 2560x1600 on even two 7600GTs. Nevermind the fact that that kind of resolution needs a monitor that would cost more than three of the computers you're trying to build. I'd recommend you either get a cheaper 7600GT or a different card altogether. PNY offers one for $170 and 3D Fuzion offers one for $163 with a $10 MIR. Now 3D Fuzion may not be as reputable as XFX, PNY, eVGA, etc., but I've been using a 3D Fuzion 7800GT for several months and it has had no problems. It was also used when I bought it.

If you're going to overclock, then there's little reason to get an X2 4200. An X2 3800 would make much more sense. If you have that much extra money, then either wait for improved Core 2 availability or get a better video card.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 07-27-2006 at 05:03 AM.

Ok. I will oc, I will probly buy the blue orb 2 to cool my proc and then ill be able to OC easily. I will get the 3800 And one 7600GT..... For the time. Also be advised, I'm gonna buy this stuff in a couple months. like september or october so the prices will have dropped.
    -Joseph Stalin

That's so long! Different stuff will be available and prices will drop. Not much point in even thinking about it now. We'll probably start hearing about the next generation of nVidia cards by then. Core 2 stuff will cost less than current AM2 stuff...

A month is too much time for planning. Two is way too much.

Go AM2, don't wait for Conroe. The performance boost is not worth the price gouging that is gonna happen, and yet another release date has passed with only the top model X6800 being available. Plus there are alot of rumors that Conroe sucks some serious ass @ 64-bit computing so AMD might not be in nearly as much trouble as once thought. Hell, I am sticking to S939 for awhile myself.

Don't get your hopes up that prices are gonna drop anymore than they have already. I would say you are seeing the bottom line now, and prices will probably only go up. Intel is having problems getting Core 2 Duo to stores and the amount of people looking to buy into the fad are gonna keep retial outlets busy. Plus you gotta remember, all these benchmark results from these Conroe's are from Engineering samples which are hand picked cherries for some nice free hype. I still want to see some retail results before I totally believe.
    Last edited by casecutter; 07-27-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That's so long! Different stuff will be available and prices will drop. Not much point in even thinking about it now. We'll probably start hearing about the next generation of nVidia cards by then. Core 2 stuff will cost less than current AM2 stuff...

A month is too much time for planning. Two is way too much.
    Im planning on buying this stuff when the prices drop, I dont really care about being up to date, only good enough to play, and as you can tell in my sig, I dont have a comp that can play much better than 50 fps. If something better becomes available that is in my price range (which i doubt) I will keep aneye out. What is core 2?
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    Go AM2, don't wait for Conroe. The performance boost is not worth the price gouging that is gonna happen, and yet another release date has passed with only the top model X6800 being available. Plus there are alot of rumors that Conroe sucks some serious ass @ 64-bit computing so AMD might not be in nearly as much trouble as once thought. Hell, I am sticking to S939 for awhile myself.

Don't get your hopes up that prices are gonna drop anymore than they have already. I would say you are seeing the bottom line now, and prices will probably only go up. Intel is having problems getting Core 2 Duo to stores and the amount of people looking to buy into the fad are gonna keep retial outlets busy. Plus you gotta remember, all these benchmark results from these Conroe's are from Engineering samples which are hand picked cherries for some nice free hype. I still want to see some retail results before I totally believe.
    I agree totally, then I will start buting piece by piece until I have the whole thing. But wont RAM prices keep on sliping?
    -Joseph Stalin

DDR2 prices will not change much, if at all. If you're going to go AM2, my recommendation is to do it now. In two months, Core 2 will probably be more available and more competitive at the low end of the price spectrum.

I agree on the DDR2 prices, but I am skeptical on Conroe prices dropping, especially if Intel keeps losing partners. With ATI now out of their future and Nvidia never being a part of it, Intel has been dealt some rough blows lately. It will be interesting to see what they do. They have stated before they want a total Intel solution (mobo/cpu/graphics) for their stuff and they might be forced to start soon. Something to keep a close eye on.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

There is no way of knowing for sure until it happens. So I will wait, I still really want AM2, maybe I should buy the mobo now. or the CPU, or the GPU. Which one should I buy first? I have about 140 dollars on my after buying that x-fi card.
    -Joseph Stalin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information