Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planning on getting watercooling...

Default planning on getting watercooling...

...but it will be a while before I can afford it ;). I was kinda bored so I figured I might post some different setups I'm looking at atm, and I've ditched the idea of getting a complete kit, as I want something that will actually give me better cooling, not just look good.

So, I've put together these two "packages" and was wondering which one would be the best to go with (although I have a hunch which one you'll recommend ;)). They are from three different stores, the shipping costs here aren't low, so I prefer to get everything from one source.

#1: (More expensive) 1/2"ID ID tubes
    *Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme II, 2x120 mm
    *Pump: Swiftech MCP665
    *CPU block: Swiftech Apogee (they have a Danger Den TDX as well)
    *Tubing: The only one they have is Danger Den Tygon tubing, and it's not cheap.. I'll go with it if it's worth the premium, but I think I've read somewhere that you have to use a special "screw" connection for it, cuz it's thin... is this true? Otherwise, I can get fairly cheap (PVC) tubing locally, although only 12mm ID, not 1/2". Moving on...
    *Reservoir: I'll go with a fillport instead...
    *Water additive: The only one they have, besides "Water Wetter", is MCT-5, it's pretty expensive and ready mixed, but I'm guessing it's good?

#2 (~40 % cheaper than #1) 12mm ID tubes, ~1/2". The pump, radiator and block all have 1/4" fittings, so I'll get 12mm ID, 1/4" fittings for everything (it's as close to 1/2" as possible).
    *Radiator: Cooltec Exstream Dual, 2x120mm
    *Pump: Alphacool Laing DCC Pro, link. I've read nice things about this one, and I can't say it looks bad either!
    *CPU block: Alphacool NexXxos XP Light
    *Tubing: Ordinary transparent 12/16 mm PVC.
    *Reservoir: Again, fillport.
    *Additive: Alphacool 50ml anti-corrosion additive.

As for additives, do I need both an anti-corrodant and an anti-algae fluid, or just the anti-corrodant? And is there some performance gain when using more expensive fluids?

OK, that about sums it up, all suggestions are welcome and appreciated :)

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

Default Re: planning on getting watercooling...

Well, I prefer running a heatercore to a regular radiator, see if you can find one of those, otherwise that is a great choice. I have a DangerDen TDX block and it works great, I highly recommend it. That Swiftech pump is about 1000000% better than that Alphacool pump. Another choice for a pump is Eheim. I run an Eheim 1250 pump and they can be found in pet stores or home/garden stores usually cheaply too. Plus they are 110V A/C (or I am sure they are the proper voltage in your country if it is different) so they won't tax your PSU any more, although the 12V pumps don't draw enough to really worry about. As for tubing, Tygon is nice and worth it if you need to make tight bends. If you don't want to spend the money, be prepared to fight cheaper tubing as it tends to kink when you make a tight radius bend. The Fillport is an excellent idea, even though I have a reservoir, you really don't need one. As for additive, I run 90% distilled water and 10% Automotive anti-freeze. If you build a proper system, leaks are not an issue. Water wetter has been shown to cause more problems than it solves in a PC. Avoid it. No performance gains from that crap. And always leak test for 12-24 hours before installing, although I am a lazy ******* and have yet to leaktest or have problems.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

anti-freeze!? A watercooler in a pet store!? im gonna do that! That is so incredibly redneck that is is cool!
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

So the Alphacool pump is just junk then? As for the heatercore, they have those in stock, but they're ugly as hell... do they improve performance considerably?

580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

2x512 MiB

Well, I wouldn't say it is junk, but it is overly complex. I like to keep my system as simple as possible. Plus the Swiftech pump is just plain a better pump. Heatercores perform better if you take the time to set it up right, have the room and use a proper shroud. If you are not looking for that last 1C, the rad you picked is an excellent choice. Here is how my heatercore is mounted:

(Yes, that is the same PC in different stages of my build)

Mind you, I have a HUGE case that allowed me to mod it to fit that way. If you don't have the extra space, a radiator like the one you chose will fit into a tighter space and not require as much modding to get it to fit.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Well, spacious as it may be, my case isn't a server case, so that vertical mounting wouldn't work for me... I'm planning on cutting out two fanholes on the top of my case, in front of the PSU, and put the rad there, fans blowing upwards. It'll use up two or three 5 1/4" bays, but it's worth it.
    I did a little research on the TDX and the MCP655, and it seems that block needs quite a lot of waterflow, which the MCP655 can provide. The Alphacool pump on the other hand moves 1/3 as much water, 420 l/h, compared to the MCP655, 1200l/h. So, it would probably be too weak, right?

BTW, is that a Hiper Type-R I see there?

580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

2x512 MiB

What have you got in that system, its beautiful?
    -Joseph Stalin

Anti freeze is not a good idea, not only does it reduce the performance of the water by a couple of degrees but it is also a real pain to clean if you do have a leak or just spill a little. If you use distilled water leaks are not a issue. It is the disolved minerals that make water conduct electricity. You need something to reduces bacterial growth, just water will only last about a month before it will turn into a brown/green slime. If use about 5% ISOPROYL alcohol your coolant with last years. If water does scare you, you can always spend some cash and get 3M "FLOURINERT". I havent checked the price of flourinert but I hear it is very pricey.
    Once you do start liquid cooling you will never look back. I have been watercooling for 6 years now and have no regrets at all.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!...i_IcFQEAOIxDW4!

ASUS A8R32-MVP-DX
    3700+@2837mhz water cooled 33C max temp
    2G OCZ PC4000EL
    OCZ 520 PowerStream
    XFX 7900GTX
    4 X 74G Raptors RAID0
    Plextor DVD-RW
    X-Fi Fatal1ty / Yamaha Cavit
    Last edited by Roadburn; 08-21-2006 at 09:39 PM.

@ ifander: Yeah, I had a Hiper Type R 580W PSU for awhile, but when I went Crossfire I wanted more power so I got the Silverstone Zeus 650W PSU that is in the second picture. I didn't realize that alphacool pump was that weak, definitely get the stronger pump.

@orangutang91: My system is:

ASUS A8R32MVP Deluxe w/3200+ Winchester(soon to be a 3700+ San Diego)
    Sapphire X1800 XT512MB + ATI X1800 Crossfire Edition
    OCZ Plats PC4000 XTC
    Silverstone Zeus 650W PSU
    DangerDen TDX on the CPU, DangerDen Maze 4 on the Crossfire card, Swiftech MCW60 on the Sapphire X1800, an Ehein 1250 pump and a dual 120MM Heatercore with a custom steel shroud.

I need to post some updated pictures because I finally painted it and did some wire maintainence and made a few more changes.

@ Roadburn: If you use too much antifreeze it is definitely not going to help, but in my experience, it does not effect the temps the slightest bit. I ran 100% water for 3 weeks and when I added 5-10% diluted anti-freeze my temps stayed the same. And even distilled water can cause damage because they cannot make it completely mineral free. Spending money on safe fluids is not an option for me because I like to think I take the proper time to test everything and I maintain my system by checking it over once or twice a month. If someone is afraid of leaks, they should run air in my opinion. In my 2 years of watercooling, the only leak I ever had was when I was screwing around with the tubing that I should have left alone.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

I dont thinks i will water cool until I learn to read direction, I almost ruined my SB X-Fi already. Not to mention screwing up my comp a few hunderd times
    -Joseph Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information