Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New PC, Help Needed Please

Default Re: New PC, Help Needed Please

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The upgrade path for AM2 is much clearer and Intel has shown that S775 needs different motherboard configurations to maintain compatibility. Besides, AMD keeps right up to Conroe for gaming performance. I would let availability decide the path and I just cannot recommend Intel yet. Conroe is a monster, and I don't want anyone thinking that I do not realize that. There is just more compatibility and a much clearer future for AMD.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I like to wait and let the prices do what thy want, preferably slip like a new ford, for the AM2
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    I don't know why you're talking about 2TB's of storage for, let alone P5's (when did they come out?).

But an E6600 will add about $120aud extra and the mainboard (of similar spec's) an extra $50aud though I'd rather pick an X2 4600 (has better memory divider than X2 5000) and save about $100aud which then can be spent on a 160GB HDD (an extra $10aud will get you 200GB or $20aud for 250GB).
    Typo, obvously, and the 2 TB comment was implying that he's spending way too much on an AM2 based system. That should have been pretty obvious too, actually.

You'd rather have an X2 4600 than an E6600? The E6600 outperforms the FX-62 in just about everything, so I don't quite see your logic. Even in a non-overclocked system, I'd rather have an E6600 than any existing AMD processor.

Vampiricos, I can't help you as to specific parts because I don't browse a lot of online Australian retailers. I can tell you that an E6600 and a decent i975 motherboard won't cost as much as an X2 5000 and board, and will outperform them considerably. If you were going to overclock, an E6300 would outperform any AMD configuration you can come up with.

Also, does a 7900GTX really cost that much in Australia? Over here, you can get a 7950GX2 for the same price, and a 7900GTX for less than 2/3 that. I've heard of some outrageous foreign premiums for computer hardware, but nothing that bad.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-22-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You'd rather have an X2 4600 than an E6600? The E6600 outperforms the FX-62 in just about everything, so I don't quite see your logic. Even in a non-overclocked system, I'd rather have an E6600 than any existing AMD processor.
    No, I said I'd prefer to get the 4600 than the 5000.

Also, does a 7900GTX really cost that much in Australia? Over here, you can get a 7950GX2 for the same price, and a 7900GTX for less than 2/3 that. I've heard of some outrageous foreign premiums for computer hardware, but nothing that bad.
    7950GX2's over here are about $900-$1100aud.

X2 4600 only make more sense than X2 5000 if you're overclocking, in which case an X2 3800 makes a lot more sense anyway. That said, I will agree that an X2 5000 would be a waste of money regardless. Over here it costs about twice as much as an X2 4600, which ends up being $250 USD for a 200MHz clock speed increase and virtualization technology.

I'm not positive, but I think it might actually be cheaper to get a round trip airplane ticket to the United States, buy all the hardware, and then go back to Australia. The premium you guys have is completely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-22-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Yep we pay through the backside here, now Im more confused about what to buy, thanks guys...lol

You guys tell me what your ideal Intel system is for $2800 AUD. here are some aussie sites that I may get my parts from. cworld.com.au & centrecom.com.au. Thats gotta include . CPU, RAM, M/B, HDD (for OS only. 1 of, dont worry about long term as I know what I want.) Graphics Card & PSU.

You guys do know the 7950 is a scam, its just 2 "mobile" GPUs & doesnt perform anywhere as good as the other 4 or 5 top end cards. There is no way on gods earth Im gonna blow my cash on that bull**** chip.

Now Ive been an Intel user, felt like a change, help me stay with Intel then.

thanks for the advice guys.

Oh yeah, whats the deal with these DX10 Cards, how far off are they?
    please keep in mind f I havto wait for the next best thing, ill never get anything.

I need a system & I need it NOW, not in 2 months, not 1, not 1 week, now. My current Prescot is running like a 486 that is on heroin, and its making me wanna kill myself!

If you do not plan on overclocking, then getting the fastest stock CPU is not a bad idea. If you go AMD, I would suggest going with a less expensive CPU and getting the best ram possible so that when K8L comes out (AM3) you can upgrade to that and be happy you skipped Conroe.

As for the 7950, it is the best video card solution for a single slot motherboard. But it is so far overpriced it isn't worth it. Same with the 7900GTX. If you want Nvidia, go 7900GT because it is going to almost certainly keep up to a GTX clock for clock and they are simple to OC. DX10 is coming, but not for awhile yet and even when it does, you'll need Vista to run it. Plus, nothing will be coded for it until well into next year at the earliest. You don't want to get the first generation DX10 cards either. You should take the advice you get here and then apply it to what you want to do. Just because someone says it is not a good idea to buy something, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Just evaluate your needs and apply theadvice given.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    If you do not plan on overclocking, then getting the fastest stock CPU is not a bad idea. If you go AMD, I would suggest going with a less expensive CPU and getting the best ram possible so that when K8L comes out (AM3) you can upgrade to that and be happy you skipped Conroe.

As for the 7950, it is the best video card solution for a single slot motherboard. But it is so far overpriced it isn't worth it. Same with the 7900GTX. If you want Nvidia, go 7900GT because it is going to almost certainly keep up to a GTX clock for clock and they are simple to OC. DX10 is coming, but not for awhile yet and even when it does, you'll need Vista to run it. Plus, nothing will be coded for it until well into next year at the earliest. You don't want to get the first generation DX10 cards either. You should take the advice you get here and then apply it to what you want to do. Just because someone says it is not a good idea to buy something, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Just evaluate your needs and apply theadvice given.
    Great stuff man, thanks for the info. But I realy dont mind abit of overkill, when it comes to Graphics if something better comes out & I want it, ill get it. waisting my money isnt a huge issue, I dont realy wanna overclock anything. your post has realy helped though in regards to putting my mind at ease over going AMD.

Default Just So Everyone Is Clear!

Great thanks guys for the ideas, any ideas as to a PSU? I realy need a good one & silent. ALso any tips on RAM, better performance for the same money or less if possible. Or just Ideas on better RAM. Over all is the system ok? anything Im missing? Any sugestions at all on any of the parts listed? Please keep in mind the $2500 is stage 1 of a 3 stage Rig build.

Stage 2 will be long term storage needs & tv tuner.

2 x Seagate Barracuda 750Gb 7200 16Mb cache SATA 2 Hard Disks

Not sure what TV tuner to get

Stage 3 is:

A 8 or 4ms 19" LCD or Widescrean 20"
    2nd 7900GTX to SLI

Stage 1 will take place in 1 week roughly
    Stage 2 in 3 weeks
    Stage 3 in 1.5 Months

Again, please note, I WILL NOT BUY INTEL!!!! so dont even bother saying so. I dont care to read another benchmark groupy tell me Conroe is better. (BTW Its actualy got a name now! dont havto use its code name anymore.) I dont care if you think Im waisting my money, its mine to waist.

Also If I had to wait for the next best Chip, Card or anything PC related object to come out b4 I buy, id be waiting forever.

Thanks

Ok let me say this 1 last time, INTEL....NO, AMD GO! for the simple ppl out there. I buy the PC tommorow so its gonna be too late anyways. Just so you all know Core Duo is more expensive here and the e6600 is $100+ more expensive then the 5000+ & they are very hard to get your hands on, Im not waiting as you can see. As for the graphics card, I have money to burn & Ill burn it well, I get a new Graphics card 2 times per year. Anyways Thanks for your posts, I'll let you all know how I go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information