Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel vs AMD......again

yeah that board looks feature packed!....hehe and a nice fire engine red!!

Well thats some intereseting advice from u all....thanks a plenty

Still hard to decide but i think in the end the cost becomes a factor and athlons look attractive. I guess the money saved could go to getting Ti 4600 or something!

I'll buy off on the AMD talk, but I'll go against the choice of the nForce based board. As a gamer, it just doesn't have the video prowess that I need to truly enjoy what is currently available in games of today; and there are more and more games coming out all the time that support the advanced features that are only available with a dedicated video card (with it's own memory intact).

Add in the fact that they tend to be a good bit more pricey than the VIA based boards, and you'll see where my main concerns lie. Especially since they don't offer as good a performance as the VIA counterparts.

I have been using VIA based motherboards for nearly two years now and have only had a single issue. That issue was my first attempt to use one and I didn't realize the specific order of installation for drivers when using VIA. Once that was corrected, I never had any VIA/driver based issues again. And if you're planning on using Windows XP, then a VIA driver isn't even required (though I still recommend installing the newest AGP drivers for the chipset).

And the frequency of my dealing with these fiendish drivers? As a rule, I reformatted Windows 98 at least quarterly (usually more often), and I reinstalled Windows after every system build in addition to this. Granted, it doesn't come out to 28 times in a single week, but I can safely say that I formatted/reinstalled Windows at least 25-30 times in that timeframe and only had that one issue with the VIA drivers... which was my own fault.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The ppl that always say "AVOID VIA CHIPSETS" are those who don't understand the correct way to install the drivers and just decide that it's VIA's fault which is not the case.
    I've been using these chipsets for over 4 years now with no problems at all and I find them to be the best and most reliable chipset for any AMD processor. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

* Waiting for Sov, Mr. Tweak and Acid to read this thread *

They were die-hard Athlon supporters, now they're Intel users! So I'm just waiting to hear their side of the story :)

Oh and Wiggo - the pricing of a Pentium 4 2.2GHz is A$880 (US$440) here in Brisbane (retail) - where are you getting your pricing? :confused:

Retail pricing around here (several stores) is between $960-$1030 for the 2.2a but I could get that for a bit less but very much doubt I could source one here for less than $900 and none have a listing for an OEM CPU. :smokin:

Where u getting the P4 2.2 for 900??
    Nothing anywhere near that down in sydney!!

And for P4s whould I be better off going for RDRAM or the newer DDR333 ram.......cos the price of them are similar now....

If you plan on overclocking go for the DDR333 but if your leaving at stock frequency then either will do.
    As to the cheapest that I know of in Sydney is here http://www.blueskycomputer.com.au/pricelist.asp and I do a lot of business there so I'd probably get an extra $40-50 off listed. :smokin:

Thanks guys for the help
    You have mad my choice a little easier
    Sorry if i have started a Intel, AMD war again :shoot3:

Will keep offer in mind Wiggo :)

"The ppl that always say "AVOID VIA CHIPSETS" are those who don't understand the correct way to install the drivers and just decide that it's VIA's fault which is not the case"

A fair comment, but I beg do differ...examples would be Via's incompatability with Creative's products (though Creative had been the standard for years). While Via did indeed fix this (6 months after release), they kept denying they had a problem (until they fixed it...).
    And, while those of us who work with computers certainly CAN fix this with the latest 4-in-one driver, the "average Joe" doesn't even know what a driver is or does...!
    Besides, do you really enjoy uninstalling and re-installing Via drivers? :-) My point is that the NForce is both rock solid and automatically updates it's drivers for you (after asking permission).

"I'll go against the choice of the nForce based board. As a gamer, it just doesn't have the video prowess that I need to truly enjoy what is currently available in games of today"

I agree for myself as well...I have a Ti 4600 in my NForce board. The point is that even if you don't use the on-board video, it's still (IMHO) the most stable/fast/feature-packed board available for the money. A nice bonus is that if my GeForce card ever dies or I want to use it on one of my other machines, I still have some pretty decent graphics on-board. And, if you're waiting for the Ti4200 cards to come out next month, you don't have to wait on the rest of your system...

Cheers,
    Charles

OK... been gone for a week so I'll respond now.

1- Concerning the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, let's consider a couple of things...

* It isn't really necessary to uninstall the old drivers before updating. The newer drivers simply overwrite the files of the older install. Reboot and you'll have the new files loaded at start-up.

* If the so-called "Average Joe" doesn't know a thing about drivers, then this person doesn't have any reason to be building a system to begin with... at least until they get some information. And considering how many members of the forums that do just that, I think you don't give the new guys enough credit. Besides, if they know nothing about drivers, then I guess they're just screwed when it comes time to load up any extra drivers that are required anyway?

2- "it's still (IMHO) the most stable/fast/feature-packed board available for the money."

Considering that this board costs in the neighborhood of US$150 and a high-end KT333 based board (with RAID mind you) costs only $100, I am wondering who's money you're spending here. The KT based boards are far faster, have all the features of the nForce boards (sans video) and cost a third less!

I'll stand my ground about the nForce issue. It is nothing more than a board that costs too much, has outdated video built in and just can't hang with the best of today's offerings. And considering that even Windows XP has basic VIA driver support built in during installation, the driver issue is moot.

I would also wonder why you use a Ti4600 based board on this wonder motherboard you like so much. Enquiring minds want to know. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information