Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another noob asks about what to get to make a new comp.

Default Another noob asks about what to get to make a new comp.

Ok, I am glad for the help I got in the last topic so thanks to the both of you who helped me.

Ok what I need is a decent gaming computer. I need it to be not much more than $1300 (monitor can be excluded from this cost but suggestions on which one to get still welcome).
    A couple of games I want to get to play when they come out or if they already came out I cant play them on my current comp.
    Spore - Pc sims like game coing out 2007
    Civ and Ceaser 4 - Both are out but my comp cannot run them.
    Sonic the headgehog - (not sure its coming out on PC but i heard about it somewhere)

This should give the general idea of the level of graphics i need as I wanted to get a comp I wouldnt need to replace for another 5-6 years. (got this one march 2001) (Note: When I say replace in another 5-6 years I mean it probly wont be able to do much of the newer stuff after about 4 years and I will put up with it til I decide to get a new computer.)

Ok now I know basics about computers but im not entirely sure about compability for certian motherboards and RAM. Along with what power supply to use.

So far the only thing I that is decided is the case. http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-navig...ack-black.html <-- this one.
    First thing I need to know is where would I get a plate to replace the motherboard form factor in the back to make it compatible with a newer motherboard.
    Thats the plate im talking about as I still dont know its name.

I was origionally going to get this computer. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=0&NoMapp=0 and move everything into my disered case but I was told this was not that good a deal.

From what I know about the specifics of the games heres a few of the miniums I need.
    2gig RAM, 3.0 Ghz CPU *wants to try and spiing for a 2 Ghz Dual core* (>_> that counts as 4 right?)
    A graphics card (a good one but not a $400 or $1k one. if possible)

That covers most of the specifics. The last few notes are.
    I plan to put everything together myself and order it all online.
    Everything needs to be bought (including mouse and keyboard and possibly cables)
    Do the blue LED fans come with that case? *thinks so but not entirely sure*
    I plan on buying this in febuary '07 so anything thats a limited time sale that ends in this month isint going to help all that much.

Ok... >_> Thats everything.. I think. ^_^;; If there are any questions just ask and I will anwser to the best I can.

Edit1: OH! Before I forget, I wanted to get Vista OS for this computer since It should be out by the time I buy the stuff.

Edit2: On anohter note, I dont think I need a sound card >_> As a motherboard intergrated sound chip usually is enough for me to enjoy. Just adding this to try and help get more stuff stright.

Edit3(im making a lot of these arent I?): Ive been doing some searching and with a really rough estimation for the computer to last me as long as I want it. (meaning in a year or two I upgrade it some more and add in more ram or another HD) Im going to need between a 450-550 Watt powersupply. Thanks again in advance for anyone who helps.
    Last edited by kragt; 12-16-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Default Re: Another noob asks about what to get to make a new comp.

Quote Originally Posted by kragt View Post
    Ok, I am glad for the help I got in the last topic so thanks to the both of you who helped me.

Ok what I need is a decent gaming computer. I need it to be not much more than $1300 (monitor can be excluded from this cost but suggestions on which one to get still welcome).
    A couple of games I want to get to play when they come out or if they already came out I cant play them on my current comp.
    Spore - Pc sims like game coing out 2007
    Civ and Ceaser 4 - Both are out but my comp cannot run them.
    Sonic the headgehog - (not sure its coming out on PC but i heard about it somewhere)

This should give the general idea of the level of graphics i need as I wanted to get a comp I wouldnt need to replace for another 5-6 years. (got this one march 2001) (Note: When I say replace in another 5-6 years I mean it probly wont be able to do much of the newer stuff after about 4 years and I will put up with it til I decide to get a new computer.)

Ok now I know basics about computers but im not entirely sure about compability for certian motherboards and RAM. Along with what power supply to use.

So far the only thing I that is decided is the case. http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-navig...ack-black.html <-- this one.
    First thing I need to know is where would I get a plate to replace the motherboard form factor in the back to make it compatible with a newer motherboard.
    Thats the plate im talking about as I still dont know its name.

I was origionally going to get this computer. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=0&NoMapp=0 and move everything into my disered case but I was told this was not that good a deal.

From what I know about the specifics of the games heres a few of the miniums I need.
    2gig RAM, 3.0 Ghz CPU *wants to try and spiing for a 2 Ghz Dual core* (>_> that counts as 4 right?)
    A graphics card (a good one but not a $400 or $1k one. if possible)

That covers most of the specifics. The last few notes are.
    I plan to put everything together myself and order it all online.
    Everything needs to be bought (including mouse and keyboard and possibly cables)
    Do the blue LED fans come with that case? *thinks so but not entirely sure*
    I plan on buying this in febuary '07 so anything thats a limited time sale that ends in this month isint going to help all that much.

Ok... >_> Thats everything.. I think. ^_^;; If there are any questions just ask and I will anwser to the best I can.

Edit1: OH! Before I forget, I wanted to get Vista OS for this computer since It should be out by the time I buy the stuff.

Edit2: On anohter note, I dont think I need a sound card >_> As a motherboard intergrated sound chip usually is enough for me to enjoy. Just adding this to try and help get more stuff stright.

Edit3(im making a lot of these arent I?): Ive been doing some searching and with a really rough estimation for the computer to last me as long as I want it. (meaning in a year or two I upgrade it some more and add in more ram or another HD) Im going to need between a 450-550 Watt powersupply. Thanks again in advance for anyone who helps.
    A dual core proc sure as hell doesnt count as a single core 4GHz @ 2GHz
    duallies are ment for multi tasking but some programs are designed for dual core.
    I recommend coming back in a couple months when you have the $$ and are ready to buy b/c there will be a lot of new stuff out, but dont be embarrassed or anything, I did the exact same thing once, setting up a thread for a comp to be built in 3 months.
    and yes the LED fans are included in the case (it says so in your link.)
    I would reccommend a 550W or higher PSU so you can add and not worry about cutting your PSU short.
    Last edited by buhweet; 12-17-2006 at 02:27 AM.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

Oh.. >_> OK.. ^^;; well thanks anyway and ill try and figure out more about this stuff then ask again in a few months probly near the end of january

EDIT: also where would i get the plate i need for that anyway?

It would come with the motherboard also you should try to get a basic outline of what you want for your comp.
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

OK then the new question is what do I need and what can I afford.
    >_> What kind of graphics cards work well for playing games and would probly be able to handle the games that would come out next year on PC.

I also need to figure out what kind of processor to get since I had misconceived ideas about the Due core. >_> The motherboard will be picked to fit the processor i guess.

I strongly recommend the core 2 duo proc family, they are incredible! I have one and it can handle anything I throw at it at only 2.1 GHz. I recommend an ATi X1950 x-- or something like it to handle games but they require a lot of power campared to I recommend Nvidia cards b/c they are usually better.
    You might get a Dx10 card for the newest games but not an 8800 --(-), better ones will come out soon, ATi might make a great one like the 9700. you also might get DX9.0c cards in SLI or Crossfire (nVidia's and Ati's dual GPU solutions respectively.) You have to get an SLI mobo to get SLI just so you know. I might sell you my 7900GTO if I dont win the GPU giveaway (I probably wont) if you want it, its a fine card, only overclocked a little for about an hour total, but I dont need all the speed. I could set up an ebay auction for you through my dads account. you could get another and run em in SLI, I think that could handle a lot of the new games for about a year but you still might concider Dx10, please dont feel pressures at all to buy one from me as it might not be the most effective or timely buy.

C2D is great, the but the new AMD's aren't far behind and are much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2005 View Post
    C2D is great, the but the new AMD's aren't far behind and are much more efficient.
    what do you mean by "efficient?" also, the C2D e6300 is awesome bang for the buck at ~180$

Efficiant as in less power cunsumpsion. If you read any articls about the new 65nm Amd's you would see that they are less power consumers
    Last edited by zaqwsx; 12-18-2006 at 07:32 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (oc to 2.8ghz FX57+ speeds)(fsb is 266)
    ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    1gb ddr400 Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) timings 215mhz (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800gs 256mb agp, with ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
    ATX Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Seagate sata 80gb harddrive
    Maxtor pata 80gb harddrive
    500watt Rosewill powersupply
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
    Custom Water cooling dual 120mm raddiator with a PolarFLO cpu block
    __________________________________________________ _______________

I don't really care about power efficient, only in a notebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information