Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Step One: Case

1. Default Re: Step One: Case

I replied a little earlier, but somehow I got logged out.

Anyway, a $750 computer will be nice, but it will not be that super computer that I think that you are looking for. That kind of money will get you a pretty nice system, but it will not last very long. I was thinking of using the money to build a system that will be a more future proof computer.

I don't have the luxury or the budget to buy a huge monitor, so logically, I can't see why anyone would need a 1200 monitor.

I will post some ideas for a build later. As for you, do some research on this forum. There are tons of pretty nice builds for about the same budget range. Also, visit Newegg.com to get everything need for the build. I trust them 100%.

Default Re: Step One: Case

Thanks for the reply. I love newegg.com too!

Well, i suppose i could build a 2000 dollar budget computer, and just come up with the monitor later. Dell has a nice 22" for 296 i saw on the main page here, that might do it too!

3. Default Re: Step One: Case

Well, $750 will get you a budget computer. $1704 will get you something really nice. I mean something that will not have any cost saving items. A computer in the $1700 range would be fantastic. You can really do a lot with that amount.

GREAT! Provided that's my total budget, because right now it is, what type of case would i be safe at getting that would be designed for a PC with that price range. That's what i should have said from the get go!

i like silverstone cases
    TJ-07 - my favorite case of all time

TJ-06 - huge
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Since this is your first rig your building I suggest you pick up a copy of Maximum PC (Febuary 2007). In there they have an easy to follow how to build a superb $1500 gaming computer. If you do some shopping around I'm guessing you could build it for a couple hundred less than that cosidering the Geforce 8 video card they used can be had for less now and you could save on the case itself and get something better and still get the specs they advertise beating those other machines they list. Infact it looks like you could upgrade the CPU a notch and still easily stay under their $1500 figure.

7. Default Re: Step One: Case

Well, I wouldn't go for the GeForce 8 series. Even though I know they are a fantastic card and they outperform everything, I would go for a 7900GS setup. In fact, I would probably do a SLI setup. I just think the current 8 series is really overpriced, even though it is probably worth it. Either way, a 7900 SLI setup or an 8 series card will offer you some of the best available graphics performance to date. It's like comparing yellow gold to white gold.

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at that issue of Maximum PC. And thanks for the tips on the video card. That will be one of the last things i get though... which will allow for plenty of time for price dropping and better cards :).

I found this case, a Thermaltake Armor case: http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-armor-case-black.html and it looks like it has a lot of room and looks sweet too. What do you guys think?

Spongebob, the ones you mentioned with the huge fan in the front and side look fantastic, i'll keep those in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    Card readers? PSUs? These are things you should purchase separately from the case.

Any computer you build now will be virtually obsolete in five years, and completely obsolete in ten. Unless you mean you'd like to slowly upgrade it over that period of time, but at that point the case is the only thing that will really last. Even then, ten years from now I really doubt we'll still be using ATX cases.

In any case, you should just go to Newegg (provided you're in the U.S.) and search for cases. With a few customization options under a Power Search, you'll find something appropriate for you quickly.
    The use of lasers in the computer parts would definitely change some factors. they predict it in about 4 yrs i read in the newspaper. I strongly doubt that we will use ATX in the future if the lasers use more or less energy.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information