Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Wow, that's a great system for $911.94. I think i am going to use yours for a base when i plan on building mine. I got a bigger budget than that though. The only thing that sticks out at me with that system is the case, i don't care for it... and the video card, unless you plan on overclocking.

Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by CColtManM View Post
    Wow, that's a great system for $911.94. I think i am going to use yours for a base when i plan on building mine. I got a bigger budget than that though. The only thing that sticks out at me with that system is the case, i don't care for it... and the video card, unless you plan on overclocking.
    The case was specifically because the power and audio inputs are up top, I use headphones for teamspeak a lot, and with my pc under my desk, it just makes things easier. You just don't like the looks, or is there a problem with the brand you think?

I've read good things on the vid card, and with only wanting to play wow, surf the web, burn dvd's and whatnot, I don't see why I need more.

Please feel free to suggest replacements. I don't really have a budget, just don't feel like spending money for more than I'll use or need.

3. Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Personally, I kinda like the case; it grows on me. You know, you could just get some audio cable extenders if you really wanted another case.

I like to get a really nice power supply. I usually get something big so that the computer can be easily upgraded and it makes it a little more future proof. I prefer Antec and Fortron, but there are some other nice ones out there.

As for your budget, you really need to set one. If you don't, your wallet might be in for a hurt because you bought some crap that you don't really need.

Other than that, it looks really nice.

Good build so far. Similar to my new one.

The G. Skill is great stuff. I've brought mine up to almost 900 so far, with no problems. Good price, too.

I wouldn't recommend a 500W or a Coolmax PSU. You'll want to get upwards of 600W to future-proof the system, and certainly a better brand. A 500W would probably be enough for a mid-range DX10 card and a decent overclock, but you'll run into problems if you ever get a high-end DX10 card, which would be the next logical upgrade, given that your current card will perform the same as a mid-range DX10 card. You definitely want a better brand, though. Try FSP Group, Antec, OCZ, or Enermax.

I'd also recommend you look into an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. I'd highly recommend the Thermalright SI-128 mixed with a Panaflo L1A 120mm fan. That combo took my load temps down by over 30c from the stock Intel HSF.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 02-26-2007 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    Good build so far. Similar to my new one.

The G. Skill is great stuff. I've brought mine up to almost 900 so far, with no problems. Good price, too.

I wouldn't recommend a 500W or a Coolmax PSU. You'll want to get upwards of 600W to future-proof the system, and certainly a better brand. A 500W would probably be enough for a mid-range DX10 card and a decent overclock, but you'll run into problems if you ever get a high-end DX10 card, which would be the next logical upgrade, given that your current card will perform the same as a mid-range DX10 card. You definitely want a better brand, though. Try FSP Group, Antex, OCZ, or Enermax.

I'd also recommend you look into an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. I'd highly recommend the Thermalright SI-128 mixed with a Panaflo L1A 120mm fan. That combo took my load temps down by over 30c from the stock Intel HSF.
    Hey thanks for the good info. Since you have experience with this exact setup, I'll take your word on the cpu cooler, couldn't find a panaflow 120mm fan at newegg though. Here's the updated parts:

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

Scythe Minebea NMB Silent IC Series 4710KL-04W-B29-V52 120mm Case Fan - Retail

Thermalright SI-128 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail

That should cover everything, now I'm ready to get this bad-boy ordered.

Thanks again for all the advise everyone.

Killian

killian27, don't forget, you can edit your original post as well. This will help people see your updated specs easier. Good work so far, i'm following it.

I got my cooler and fan at www.jab-tech.com. Highly recommended alternative to Newegg due to being extremely price-competitive. That's the only place I could find my 120mm Panaflo. Whatever fan you get, make sure it doesn't have screw shafts that go all the way from one side to the other. Thermalright uses mounting clips instead of screws, so a shaft would make it impossible to put the clip in the hole.

Note that the SI-128 is not fun to install. It's worth the effort, but LGA775 has a ****ty mounting mechanism and we're talking about a massive, sharp heatsink. Make sure you install in and the CPU without anything else on the board and the PSU outside of the case. In fact, you're best off installing it outside the case.

I built the pc from the first post (the updated version at the bottom of post) for myself back in february, and I've been really pleased so far.

I have a friend that wants a solid xp machine that will run WoW. I plan to suggest the same pc as spedced, unless anyone suggests any upgrades or replacements... since I put mine together in february I have not kept up with much... she won't care about directX 10 cards or running vista.

Thanks, Killian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information