Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Default Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

Here's the build I have in mind with a couple of questions/advice needed. Also if you have a better idea for around the same price point, please share that with me.

I just need a machine to run standard applications and WoW, a few RTS's, and whatever else I may decide to play over the next couple of years.

I think I'm set on 965P chipset, and nvidia graphics, and e6600 processor.

Vid Card:
    eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB $175.99
    I don't think I need a 512mb card for the games I play, but is there another card in this price range that is just considered a lot better, or even a little better?

MoBo:

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 $144.99
    Is DS3 the preffered model of the Gigabyte 965 chipset boards? Any reason to pay more and get the DQ6?

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor $318 Difference in OEM and retail? I assume I don't want to buy the OEM even though its a little cheaper?

RAM:

2GB of what? Lot's of RAM choices... HELP! lol

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $299.99 more than I really wanted to pay for RAM, but is this the right option for the rest of the rig?

Case, Cooling, Power:

500W or so PSU and a decent case, additional cooling maybe. This shouldn't be to hard, but if you have a combo to suggest, I'd like to hear it.

Drives:

Lite-on, or drives that I already have. No worries here.

Ok, that should be it, thanks for any help you can offer.

Updated system, following advise from this forum

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail $187

I considered the e6600 or e6700, but at double the price, I don't think this processor can be beat... especially once overclocked a bit.

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $132.99

Seems to be a proven chipset, on a proven board. I've used gigabyte before, and I like the brand already. If you need a more "feature rich" board, maybe try the DQ6.. I didnt need any of the extra's.

Memory:
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - Retail $249.99

This seems to be the least expensive "overclockable" RAM, making it a good choice.

Video:
    EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail $144.99

Again, this vid card should be the least expensive "great card"...

Case:
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $44.99

I like this case because of the top mounts for headphones and mic, may be a silly reason, but the case is getting decent reviews anyway so...

Power Supply:
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail $114.99

600W of power, despite me trying to skimp on the power supply, I have seen the light and will buy the power I need... if the whole system is relying on good constant power for stability, I guess it REALLY is important to have a good PSU.

Case cooling:
    Scythe Minebea NMB Silent IC Series 4710KL-04W-B29-V52 120mm Case Fan - Retail $13.99

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail $14.99

I couldn't decide on these fans, and I need two, so I got one of each.

CPU Cooler:(will use one of the above 120mm fans)
    Thermalright SI-128 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail $56.99

Yawgm0th is using this cpu cooler on the same mobo/ram setup with success, thats enough for me.

HDD:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

Perpendicular writing, supposed to be as fast as the more expensive HDD's.

DVD Burner:
    SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM $47.99

Good reviews.. I wanted a Lite-on, but newegg is out of stock.

Subtotal: $1,113.90 (before tax, shipping, and rebates)
    Last edited by killian27; 02-20-2007 at 11:13 PM.

2. Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

First off, a 500w psu will not be enough. Look for something in the 550 to 600 range. Second, I prefer Corsair, but G Skill is ok.

Please, look through some of the previous builds to get some ideas.

I'm crunched for time, but I'll post later.

Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

I love my DQ6 and the onboard sound is amazing. I'm not sure it is worth the extra if you don't need all the extras. I didn't have to pay for mine (won from a contest here), but I highly recommend it if you do want a fully featured motherboard. A DS3 will overclock almost as well and even the S3 is a very capable board.

As for the PSU, a GOOD 500W PSU is plenty for that system. Should also be plenty for the mid level DX-10 cards due out next year. I run a 400W PSU in my system, but I do have the Thermaltake 250W PCI-E PSU for my video cards.

As for the E6600, I personally would rather save the cash and overclock to get nearly the same performance out of an E6300/E6400. They are finally releasing the Allendales (E4300) now too for the really budget minded, although I would get atleast the E6300 Conroe or higher. The extra L2 cache is really only useful for benchmarking and maybe some high end video work. For gaming, it is almost indistinguishable.

Ram, you gotta spend big bucks on ram if you are overclocking. Make sure it is G Skill HZ series ram. Crucial and Team Group are the top tiers for D9GMH ram with some really pricey OCZ sticks FINALLY coming with D9 chips.

The 7900GS is an amazing card. They overclock like bears and can pretty much keep right up to the GT even with 4 less pipes. Best bang for the buck. THere is nothing around the same price that can really compete with it, especially once it is overclocked.
    Last edited by casecutter; 01-11-2007 at 02:57 AM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Default Re: Check this build and offer suggestion if you see room for improvement.

I love my DQ6 and the onboard sound is amazing. I'm not sure it is worth the extra if you don't need all the extras. I didn't have to pay for mine (won from a contest here), but I highly recommend it if you do want a fully featured motherboard. A DS3 will overclock almost as well and even the S3 is a very capable board.
    In compare, I couldn't see a difference in sound, but compare doesn't break everything down always. I mostly use headphones... so I don't know if the sound would even make a difference.

As for the PSU, a GOOD 500W PSU is plenty for that system. Should also be plenty for the mid level DX-10 cards due out next year. I run a 400W PSU in my system, but I do have the Thermaltake 250W PCI-E PSU for my video cards.
    Any suggestions on a brand here?

As for the E6600, I personally would rather save the cash and overclock to get nearly the same performance out of an E6300/E6400. They are finally releasing the Allendales (E4300) now too for the really budget minded, although I would get atleast the E6300 Conroe or higher. The extra L2 cache is really only useful for benchmarking and maybe some high end video work. For gaming, it is almost indistinguishable.
    I wasn't planning on overclocking, but I guess I may get bored and play around later one. I may go with the 6300, since the price difference is quite a gap.

Ram, you gotta spend big bucks on ram if you are overclocking. Make sure it is G Skill HZ series ram. Crucial and Team Group are the top tiers for D9GMH ram with some really pricey OCZ sticks FINALLY coming with D9 chips.
    I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay more for good ram.

The 7900GS is an amazing card. They overclock like bears and can pretty much keep right up to the GT even with 4 less pipes. Best bang for the buck. THere is nothing around the same price that can really compete with it, especially once it is overclocked.
    Cool, I wasn't planning on overclocking it,but might be fun to tinker.

Thanks for all the good info!

I really like Silverstone PSU's myself. I run a 400W Stryder and I know for certain they do make a 500W model. They are very efficient and beefy units for a good price.

As for the sound, if you only use headphones, then I'd skip the DQ6 and get the DS3. Honestly, I find it hard to justify the extra price of the DQ6 since most of the extras are things not many people use.

The way I feel about ram is this. Why try to save $100 now IF you plan on overclocking later. Cheap ram will hardly overclock and the Intel motherboards do not have low ram dividers to let it run slow enough while you run the CPU fast. You'd have to sell the cheap ram for a loss and spend just that much more on good ram later. BUT, you can get the E6600 and cheaper ram since it has higher multipliers and can run the ram somewhat slower. It is a fine line on what you really want to do with your PC. I booted my PC up highly overclocked the first time because that was my plan all along. I have been overclocking PC's for years, so I thoroughly researched my hardware and specifically bought it for that purpose. If you'd rather run stock now since you're new to the overclocking scene, then I would suggest the E6600 and some decent ram. But, if you are definitely going to push your stuff to it's upmost limits, then the E6300 and some really good ram can save you a few bucks and you'll get nearly the same performance as the E6600. In the end, it is always better to spend as much as possible on components, but if your budget is tight, then you gotta pick things carefully.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Thanks casecutter, for helping me narrow things down.

e6300
    gigabyte ds3
    2gb gskill hz series d9 ram
    evga 7900gs
    antec case
    ocz psu

Think I'll need extra cooling with that case?

Well, this case is god-like for airflow:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

$5 cheaper too. That case you picked is good, and has decent flow, but the 900 is just simply the best flowing case I've ever seen for the money.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    Well, this case is god-like for airflow:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

$5 cheaper too. That case you picked is good, and has decent flow, but the 900 is just simply the best flowing case I've ever seen for the money.
    Hmmm, I'm not crazy about how it looks though... hah.

I forgot to mention, g skill was the only ram on newegg that I could tell for sure had the micron d9 chip you mentioned. Could you link a couple more that you recommend maybe? Something like what you mentioned in previous posts?

Do I need to buy a cpu fan?
    Last edited by killian27; 01-12-2007 at 05:07 AM.

To be honest, that G Skill is about the best priced stuff at the moment on the Egg, and the only other ram I'd honestly suggest is the Team Groupd Xtreem like I have. You can get that @ www.tankguys.com:

http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-44410-800mhz-p-1645.html

Great ram. As for the CPU heatsink/fan, if you're gonna run stock for now, the one that comes with it is fine for that. Otherwise, the Arctic Freezer PRO 7 is a great budget heatsink that works well, and the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower or the Scythe Infinity are very very good ones, although pricy.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information