Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: XP 1700+: Buy now or wait?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Is now a good time to buy a new motherboard and XP processor? I've been absent from, "I know the latest hardware crowd" for almost a year that I don't even know what PC3000 memory is.

    I have a budget of $150 and I want to get at least a XP 1700+. Whatever is left is for the motherboard.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    You wanna get an XP CPU, mobo and RAM with $150? Ain't gonna happen. You're not gonna be able to purchase a mobo with what's left from the purchase of that XP. If $150 is your budget for an XP system, hold off, cuz you can't get it (legally).

  3. #3

    Default

    With a $US150 budget, you'll be limited to the Duron range. You should be able to get a Duron 1.2Ghz plus motherboard for that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Which isn't too bad, concidering you can upgrade to an XP later... :thumb:
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    125

    Default

    THe XP 1700+ is around $80 and I'm looking at a $50 mobo that supports PC133 and DDR memories; this was I don't have to buy new rams. I'm just wondering if the prices will go down any time soon. Isn't there a new processor coming out this summer, or is it next year?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Don't skimp on mobos..............

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    some of the ECS MB's with the SIS chipset support both PC133 & DDR Ram (not similtaneously)...they're pretty cheap too, although they don't have the greatest OC'ing features

    I've never owned one personally - but I have heard good things...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I won't be overclocking since I can't take the risk of blowing a XP 1700+. With the Duron 700 I currently have, I readily beat it whenever I feel like it. It's only $30.:zzz:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New England Highlands, Australia
    Posts
    21,907

    Default

    Well if ya want that CPU I wouldn't leave it to long as some places here are no longer stocking it and as for the ECS K7S5A board which supports both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, it maybe a budget item but it's quick though budget PSU's will give ya nothing but headaches with it either straight away or a little later on. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    539

    Default

    i would hold off on the wallet until you have a bit more to work with.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •