Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Anybody ever try Vonage?

Default Anybody ever try Vonage?

I'm just wondering if its as good as a land line.... been kinda thinking about getting it if its worth it.

Default Re: Anybody ever try Vonage?

I heard that CNet liked it, but they were likely bribed.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

Had it for over a year now, good stuff. Since then, I've noticed that there are other VOIP deals out there even cheaper than Vonage, but I haven't really checked into them.
    I hear that Vonage customer support is a real pain, but I've never had to use it. The directions were so clear and comprehensive that I set everything up, waited for my old phone number to transfer, then cut the outside wires and plugged that bad boy up. Haven't have a problem since, voice quality is so good that nobody has noticed it enough to mention anything.
    I'd recommend it, beats the heck out of the approx $70 US I was spending before on Ma Bell
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kgburns View Post
    Had it for over a year now, good stuff. Since then, I've noticed that there are other VOIP deals out there even cheaper than Vonage, but I haven't really checked into them.
    I hear that Vonage customer support is a real pain, but I've never had to use it. The directions were so clear and comprehensive that I set everything up, waited for my old phone number to transfer, then cut the outside wires and plugged that bad boy up. Haven't have a problem since, voice quality is so good that nobody has noticed it enough to mention anything.
    I'd recommend it, beats the heck out of the approx $70 US I was spending before on Ma Bell
    Thanks, for bringing up the VOIP deals subject. I checked into it and found out Sunrocket looks like a better buy than Vonage at this time.
    I'm not going to save much over my land line, maybe $15 of my cables companies treo package since there are no taxes on VOIP services, but something is better than nothing and I like the idea of unlimited free long distance. I think I'll have to rely on my cell phone a little more since my internet service does go down from time to time but I think I can swing it even though I rely on a phone for work.

Well my friend got sun rocket and he has dsl and its perfect the sound is grate and I heard they had a deal where you pay like 200 and get it for 2years and you dont have to pay bills. hope this helps
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (oc to 2.8ghz FX57+ speeds)(fsb is 266)
    ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    1gb ddr400 Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) timings 215mhz (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800gs 256mb agp, with ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
    ATX Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Seagate sata 80gb harddrive
    Maxtor pata 80gb harddrive
    500watt Rosewill powersupply
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
    Custom Water cooling dual 120mm raddiator with a PolarFLO cpu block
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Quote Originally Posted by zaqwsx View Post
    Well my friend got sun rocket and he has dsl and its perfect the sound is grate and I heard they had a deal where you pay like 200 and get it for 2years and you dont have to pay bills. hope this helps

Damn, Sun rocket isn't available in my area. I had to go with Vonage. No distinctive rings:(. I loved that feature but I can live without it I guess.

Update: Vonage is definitely not as good as a landline, atleast not for me. I rely on the phone for my work and entering in numbers through the touchpad. The service only works part of the time for that and is very unreliable otherwise. Most of the time receiving is OK but not as good as a landline, then on the other hand transmitting is horrible, yesterday a couple people told me that the line said my phone service was disconnected when they tried calling me, strangely I could still call out though..
    I checked with my ISP and they said everything was showing better speeds than normal so it can't be that and my cable modem and router are both new so I doubt that is it ether.
    One thing I will give Vonage credit for is that they are easy to get ahold of 24 hours a day as long as I use my cell phone to talk to them so they can understand whats being said.

Thread Information