Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step 2: Motherboards

Default Step 2: Motherboards

What do you guys think the best motherboards out right now, or in the next few months will be? Give me your top 5 and why.

My new computer will be used primarily for high end games and very high end graphic design (animation) and video/picture editing. It will have Vista on it.
    Last edited by CColtManM; 02-06-2007 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Added what the computer is going to be used for.

Default Re: Step 2: Motherboards

ummm... what type? Your choice of processor would be very helpful here.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Any Asus Delux board is a good choice - why because they are consistently good, fast have all the features you could possibly want, etc.

Depending on the exact boards out in 6 months, they may not be the best board but it'll be damn close

I didn't choice a processor because i don't really know. I was looking and saw the Intel based and AMD based are the majority. The Core 2 Duos, are those good? I'm looking for your updated opinions.

You really need to give some specific areas of interest for any real answers. I would not recommend ASUS for any platform considering there terrible support and overpricing. But some idea on what you plan to do and a budget would make people respond with much more useful answers.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I totally agree, but i wouldn't even know where to begin.

My new computer will be used primarily for high end games and very high end graphic design (animation) and video/picture editing. It will have Vista on it.

I will might be using it to watch movies and tv if i choose to get the 27" or 30" dell monitor. But chances are i won't be. I heard Vista was designed to be seen in HD, so my monitor should have a HDMI compatibility... as well as my mobo video card???

And while i'm at it... are high resolution monitors the same as high definition monitors? Or what's the difference?
    Last edited by CColtManM; 02-06-2007 at 04:15 AM.

And i just realized that the CPU (processor) should have been my step 2. Damn! The mobo is step 3.

Wait.. what was step 1?
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

haha the Case.

nice.

as for the other parts, you would do best to figure out which proc you want, then find a compatible mobo, then ram, then video card, then psu, blah blah

I think the consensus right now for processors is the core 2 duo series - e6600 is no doubt the most popular of the line, but they're all good; overclockable, efficent, and powerful.

For a choice in motherboard, it really depends what your preferences are- boards featuring SLI and reliable overclockability are priced with a premium - you could go with the newer and more hyped ones with all the features you could want such as the Asus striker and commando, but I think those cost upwards of $450. For less, I'd recommend the Asus p5n32 mobos or the Gigabyte DQ6. If you don't care about SLI, just go for the Gigabyte p965-ds3.

which case did you end up getting btw? when I got my antec p180, I had to get a new power supply with longer cables to reach the mobo and optical drives.
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information