Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest RAM out there

1. Default Re: Cheapest RAM out there

Alright, I don't know the specs. Fine, but I don't think he has four slots for the extra gig. Waiting on a reply for the computer specs and just guessing right now.

Default Re: Cheapest RAM out there

I have four slots on my Intel Motherboard. Two of them have a 512 stick of ram each. This leaves me with two open slots.

3. Default Re: Cheapest RAM out there

You should be alright putting in that extra gig. Here is some good Crucial stuff for about $80,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146577

So, do you guys really think i will notice any difference if i end up adding another gig?

In games, apps, programs, startups, anything? I'm assuming that's what it's for.

I honestly don't think so, maybe in certain games like battlefield 2.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

I do play BF2. But unless i'll notice across the board, i don't think i'll drop the 80 bucks into it. My dad might pay for half, so then for 40 bucks, it might be worth it.

But yeah, for a slight increase in one game, i don't think i'm going to do it. I thought it had more of an impact.

Whether you notice the difference is dependent on what you're running in the background. A bunch of idle-priority apps and stuff scheduled to run when you're not using it (e.g. Diskkeeper) will full up RAM, causing more to be necessary. If you're actually multitasking, or running multiple applications which use CPU time at once, then 2GB of RAM won't do anything on that system. The processor is too slow to handle any serious multitasking.

As far as gaming and general use goes, though, the difference between 1GB and 2GB is huge. I have two systems in here that used to use 1GB, and they can both do so much more since I upgraded them to 2GB. I now have three systems with 2GB in here, and I don't regret spending one dime on the RAM. The difference is particularly noticeable if you're playing Battlefield 2/2142 with a Radeon 9800 Pro or better video card. You can pretty much max settings at 1280x960 on a system with a card like that and 2GB of RAM.

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty obsessive when it comes to programs running in the background. I make sure to keep every available thing from starting up unless it has too. My diskeeper only runs for two hours in the middle of the night.

I have a 6800GT OC, and like to play at 1280x1024. Now you're making me consider it again, i was almost set on not doing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information