Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What not to buy

Don't spend extra money on one of those "lifetime" floor mats for your workstation.
    Mine has about 4 large cracks in it. The first appeared in about 18 months.

Man I hate getting my wheels stuck.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

well alot of people assume that hdds dont need cooling, so they whack em in and thats it...off they go...case cooling is a thought though for the IBM's...:)

i agree with beefy, some are accidential, so many combinations of softwares and hardware...:o
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

But one brand of products to stay well away from are OCZ products. Look around as you'll find the original stuff by the propper name. I'll also agree with USB and soft modems plus Maca's. :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I'm using a USB modem at home on my server without a problem. It's been connected for over a week now. I had HEAPS of trouble with the first one which was an Alcatel. Damn thing would only connect 1 out of every 50 tries. I'm using a Dynalink DSL-200 now and it's been really solid.

About the IBM drives: I had cooling on them, yet one still died.

A few things...
    1. I agree with the "don't buy" people on the IBM HDDs. IBM is currently being sued for a vast "undisclosed" amount of money because of them, and I believe they are discontinuing the manufacture of drives as a result...

2. I agree with the "Vet Rocks" sentiment, but VET has one major flaw...it doesn't (AFAIK) scan cab files at all! With older windows, this usually wasn't a problem, but with XP (and I believe 2k) when you compress old files on disk cleanup, it converts them to cab files... I personally haven't had any problems with Norton (at least not for the last 2 years), but I have heard of some that have...

3. A heads up on Fujitsu 10 and 20 GB drives...the shop down the street from me has had a 70% failure rate on these drives! (that's on over 50 drives...)

Cheers,
    Charles

I would recomend stearing around the ECS K7S5A Motherboard, mine has been giving me a tone of trouble, can't run at full clock speed without crashing.
    also if you look around the place alot of people have trouble with them, and there are multipal problems and i have done all the fixes i can find and it still don't work, so i'm going to just buy a new MB.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

The latest crop of Sony optical drives are fairly low quality, my 16x DVD-ROM is particularly poor. They make them in China now, not Japan.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Quote Originally Posted by viditor
    A few things...

3. A heads up on Fujitsu 10 and 20 GB drives...the shop down the street from me has had a 70% failure rate on these drives! (that's on over 50 drives...)

Cheers,
    Charles
    Agreed on this...we had about 150 Fuji drives returned to us..all about 1 year old..and all were 10-20gb

Fujitsu are no longer making HDDs
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

I've used a few Fugitsu drives and never had any probs with them and there's a 3yr and 2yr old ones in this PC. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information