Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What not to buy

I have to disagree with the comment about the MS Intellimouse Optical being junk. It is great. They did have a design flaw in the first edition (version 1.0) of the mouse which would cause the mouse to not work correctly if you repetedly launched it off your desk only to be jerked mid-air by the wire.

The current version (labeled on the bottom on the mouse) 1.0A has fixed that problem, and I must say that this design of mouse is the best design in existance. With the side buttons set to 'Close' and 'Minimize' I whip through windows most would think not possible.

Beefy Guest

I'm with you zeradul. I got one of the original Explorer mice, and haven't had 1 problem with it. I know of some people that have continually broken them *cough Birdkiller cough* but I've been very happy with mine.

I don't know how many times I've had to tell ppl not to swing them around their heads to attack someone who just creamed them in some LAN game. They just wern't designed for that purpose. :no:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Is that why my old MS optical died? ... well it didnt really die, it likes to "fade" a split second before i frag someone... in any game... and since i tend to frag ppl alot, it was a tremendously re-occuring problem...

Oh, and if you get Sony monitors at my price, you wouldn't care about the lines...

I got a 1.0 optical mouse, and it died a few days after getting it.
    (died as in- died. kaput. sayonara. lights are on, nobodys home) It didnt put me off getting it replaced though, and this one has been going strong ever since. (got it back in y2k)

I like the v3 optical ones tho, very sleek & sexy. the cordless ones are a bit dodgy.

Beefy Guest

If / when my current Explorer mouse dies, then i'm definitely going for one of the new versions of it. It's contoured so much nicer than the old one.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller
    any virus scanner but vet. i'm sure skullshot will back me up here :) vet simply rocks. But mainly i am against norton, i have seen that screw up systems more than it fixes them.
    Dunno Vet, But I do know that we had lots of problems with Mcafee in the network at work. If you just run a basic network everything is fine, but when you wanna push your network options just a little further Mcafee went bananas.

Therefore they installed Norton and now everything runs fine.

Brand name computers, especally Packard Bell (maxtor hard drives and samsung ram, both normally die after warranty)
    Compaq, slow and extremlly crap, + the most likely to have customised hardware
    Acer cheap parts, so they break easy.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Hairong PSU's, they're going round in those cheap Aopen look-a-like cases at swappies ATM.

I have a few i got fromm a shop and a couple from swappies, wouldn't run half of my mobo's (which are in PWO), and we're talking basic celeron systems here, nothing power hungry. But that's just how they are, i don't think they are considered faulty, just really poor quality PSU...very unstable.

The cases are pretty good though methinks.

So stay away at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by SegiY
    Brand name computers, especally Packard Bell (maxtor hard drives and samsung ram, both normally die after warranty)
    Compaq, slow and extremlly crap, + the most likely to have customised hardware
    Acer cheap parts, so they break easy.
    Same with Fujitsu/ Siemens. You pay more and get less.

My employer only buys this brand. And my computer at work crashes ten times more than my home PC. This is even more disturbing when you consider at work I only use my PC for office applications and internet.
    The home PC gets the real butchering with games, audio and video.

Oh, and try changing the floppy drive of one of those midi towers. You will have to remove the power supply. :bounce: very annoying.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information