Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 or AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+

Default Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 or AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+

i'm building a new computer for school and need to keep it around $1500. ive come up with two options, either the Intel Quad core or the AMD x2... both computers are pretty much the same except for the motherboard and the processor. the prices are around the same, all i need to know is which computer am i going to be getting the best performance out of. im going into the field of Game and Simulation programming, so i need a rig that can put up to hours of gaming as well as coding, ill also be running gintu on a 250gb as well as vista on a 10k 74gb raptor.

another Q is, if i go with the intel quad... does vista do good with multi-processing or is it still sub par?

Default Re: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 or AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+

You want to compare a Quad core to a Dual core? Considering the Core 2 Duo dual core is much faster than anything AMD has to offer, the Quad core is going to have even more power. And the price of a Q6600 is about 4 times the price of the 4200+. Lastly, Vista is a pile of crap.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

vista is a pile of crap... yes but i can get it pre installed on the machine... the reason im asking is because i can get the quad for pretty much the same price as the amd box... and lastly, im taking into consideration the fact that amd will probably release a quad core socket am2... i'm not asking for sarcasm im asking for recomendations

If you are trying to choose now, then there is no need to debate the choice. AMD is coming with a Quad but not for awhile still. If you need a machine now, the Quad Intel is the only choice unless you are a diehard AMD fan. AMD's quad may need a new motherboard chipset too, nothing is set in stone there.

As for being sarcastic, I can't help myself when you are asking to compare a Quad to AMD right now. As for Vista, I would not allow it to be installed on my machine. XP works great and is not a stinking bugfest like Vista. Vista needs another year to mature to see if it really is worth it. DX10 is hardly worth it for now.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

If you can get a quad core system for the same price as the athlon then the intel is the clear choice as it is quite alot faster and will own the AMD in programmes that can utilise the extra cores. However watch out for what you may be forgoing in order to get the quad core processor. Chances are in order to have the quad core processor for the same price as the duel other components are going to suffer such as graphics card or ram for instance. If you are going to be using the system for modern games chances are you'll need a good graphics card and at least 2 gigs of good ram. As a side note gaming on vista is reatively poor compared to XP. Company of Heroes refusing to play on my vista partition, while running silky smooth on my XP partition. Another comparison would be the counter strike source benchmark; 150 fps on XP, 100 fps on Vista.
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I suggest you go for a different pc and cpu. Perhaps the E6600. Quad core is a waste of money at the moment as pretty much nothing will use all 4 cores. Windows xp is the only Microsoft OS you should be looking at getting unless you want to struggle along with Vista untill a major fix like sp1 comes out. A lot of programs/drivers/hardware is currently unsupported in Vista.
    Core 2 Duo is currently far better than any AMD X2.

IF someone is not overclocking, there are plenty of AMD CPU's that are just as fast at stock speeds and even for comparible money. My PC will match any E6400 based PC in speed at stock speeds.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Thread Information