Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC - So indecisive - please help

Default New PC - So indecisive - please help

I'm in the process of buying a new system.

I'm looking at spending around the $1,500+ mark.

The system will be used for a variety of software applications inc. photoshop and other relatively load intensive software. I'm not a huge gamer, but do what the ability to play games.

CPU: The old debate of Intel or AMD, i've been an AMD man in the past and am swaying this way again due to its price vs performance. Currently I'm looking at an AM2 5200+. People have been trying to get me to go for an Intel E6420 but don't really know whether its worth the price hike.

Motherboard: Lost here, I know it depends on the CPU I go for, don't want anything ultra deluxe at all, would like to keep it sub $150 if possible.

RAM: Do I want DDR2 or DDR400? I know I want 2 gig, I'm swaying towards 2x 1gig Kingston DDR2.

Graphics: I know I want an NVIDIA chipset, but this is as far as I have got, again, not huge into games, but do want the ability to play them, want something to help stick within my budget.

Hard drives: Going to get either 2x 250gig Seagate or 2x 500gig Seagate.

DVD ROM: Plan on sticking with Pioneer, should I go for SATA or just stick with IDE? Will I see a difference? The price difference is very small.

PSU: Have a thermaltake at the moment and I feel it could be the cause of alot of really bizarre issues with my current machine, would love to hear new recommenced PSU's.

Case: Plan on sticking with my Thermaltake Xavier case for the time being.

Monitor: BenQ 222W 22" Wide

I know alot of this is vague but I would really appreciate peoples feedback on where I should be heading with this.

Any more information needed please let me know.

Default Re: New PC - So indecisive - please help

nice budget

I doubt you'll notice much difference between sata & ide on cdrom, the bottleneck on reading dvds is the reader mechanism, not the connection to the pc.

why are going 4 2 HD's - do you plan on raiding them to get extra speed, if so you might be better looking at the perpendicular HD's that have just hit the market, they also have a larger capacity. (note if plan on raiding, you'll need a mboard capable of it)

The reason for the 2 hard drives is backups. One will be in an external case connected via USB for backing up.

Not going to do RAID.

Currently I run a 200gig and feel i'll want more space, i just want to ensure i have the capacity to backup 100%

I think i'll just go sata with the cd rom just to get rid of those massive IDE cables.

good reason :D

imoh asus make very good boards, I've always liked the delux versions but you need to work out what features you need on a motherboard, ie audio, sata, usb ports etc, particularly if you go for a cheaper board

you may want to consider a board with firewire if your interested in video processing.

nice reasoning with the 2nd HD as well

would like on board sound for redundancy, have a sound blaster PCI that will do though.

do want all features which seem standard these days, USB, LAN, etc. Firewire is nothing major, do have a PCI Firewire card which can also be used if needed again.

No interest in spending $335 on a motherboard.

I feel that I should be able to get something that is more than adequate for around the $150 mark.

Something more along the lines of:
    http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...19&modelmenu=1

Or

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Products/...ProductID=2539
    Last edited by RoadrunneR; 05-18-2007 at 08:25 AM.

I'm edging more towards the gigabyte.

sorry didn't check price :(

both are good manufacturers,
    Gigabyte focus on reliability, Asus on Speed

there doesn't appear to be many feature differences, although the gigabyte board only has one ide controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information