Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD or Intel Configuration? Which is better for gaming?

Default AMD or Intel Configuration? Which is better for gaming?

I am looking at 2 different systems to upgrade to. I am getting rid of my socket 939 system, and I am not very knowledgable on Intel components. I am quite in tune with the AMD system components though. I have looked up benchmarks and it seems the Intel system could be better, but I would like your opinion. I have been an AMD guy for years...but I figure why not atleast look at the Core 2 since I have heard so many good things about it. Here are the 2 system configurations I am looking at:

Intel Configuration:

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer
    CASE FAN: Default case fans
    CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
    CD: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
    FREEBIE: 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
    FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies (Thermaltake ToughPower 600 Watt Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
    SERVICE: Standard Warranty: 1-Year Limited Warranty Plus 24/7 Life-Time Technical Support
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
    PRICE: (+1641.05 w/ shipping)

AMD Configuration:

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer
    CASE FAN: Default case fans
    CASE UPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT
    CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    CD: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
    FREEBIE: FREE! 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
    FREEBIE: FREE! AGE OF EMPIRE III
    FREEBIE: FREE! RISE OF NATIONS: RISE OF LEGENDS
    FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)Asus Crosshair nForce 590 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies (Thermaltake ToughPower 600 Watt Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
    PRICE: (+1684.75 w/ shipping)

If you have suggestions on a better product to go with, please by all means let me know. I am not trying to go over $1700, thats about my limit. So what gives me the best bang for my buck! Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 05-24-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: mistype

Default Re: AMD or Intel Configuration? Which is better for gaming?

at the moment I think Intel is better particularly if you plan on overclocking.

by what % do the benchmarks differ? if its fairly low, then you might be better off going with what you know.

Pretty high prices for those systems. Are you buying them whole or something?

You'd be best off getting some low-end parts and overclocking a bunch. A lot of those parts are just wasted money that could be better spent elsewhere.

IMO there's not much to "know" about AMD over Intel. They both have had a variety of platforms over the years, each with it's own unique qualities. Aside from specific differences in each generation, there's not much to know. That use entirely the same parts and standards. Intel usually takes the step forward in creating a new standard (RAM, form factor, etc.), but almost everything is universal.

AMD processors are better at certain price points and under certain circumstances. However, with Intel's recent price drops, Intel is ahead at most price points. In your budget, if you are willing to overclock, Intel is a much better option. I certainly wouldn't find myself buying an X2 6000, but then I wouldn't get an E6700, either.

On that note, I must reiterate just two paragraphs later, that overclocking low-end parts is so much more sensible than just buying higher-end parts. I can tell you right now that you are looking at buying/building a system for $1700 that will be significantly inferior to one I built for around $1000 several months ago. A better system could be built for even less today.

A few specific parts I've comments about:

The Corsair XMS is too expensive, and no advantage over much cheaper brands. You should be able to get 2x1GB of suitable DDR2 for $80. Even the cheapest XMS -- which somehow I doubt you've selected -- will go for over $100.

Thermaltake is a decent PSU brand, but just a decent one. The higher-end Thermaltake models are just as expensive as same-wattage models from superior competitors. I'd look into Enermax or FSP Group. And if you're looking at a system this high-end, with obvious room for upgrading to quad-core and SLI, 650W or more might be warranted.
    The Pioneer 111 is a great series of drive. I'd also recommend the 112 and the 212, the 212 being a SATA drive. The 111 line was recently discontinued, the 112 line being the replacement.

Antec Nine Hundred -- A regular desktop case for over $100? Just plain wasteful. There are great cases, and I mean great, for around $50. Good ones for closer to $40, and acceptable ones in the $20s and $30s. That case, and many others like it, have two primary selling points: Aesthetic value, and thermal value. The thermal value is next to irrelevant; the most extreme overclocking won't take CPUs levels anywhere that a $40-$50 cooler can't handle, and having some excessive design for good airflow is just silly. Aesthetic value can only be matched to some extent by cheaper cases, but wouldn't you rather have a fast PC than a pretty one?

The 8800GTX is probably the biggest disagreement. Get some decent airflow and overclock a 640MB 8800GTS. This will get you all games running at the exact same settings and about 95% of the framerate the 8800GTX would give you. It will also save you a good $100 or so.

I want the pioneer 111d just for flashing purposes. as far as the 8800gtx goes, i want one now and will sli it later. i really just want the dx10, and really dont mind paying the extra $100 for the gtx version. i will not spend the extra bazillion dollars for the ultra though. i plan to overclock the crap out of everything in there, so i want fairly new technology (especially with the ddr3 making its first appearances on mobo's). i just recently read though that intel will be cutting the e6700 prices in half on july 22nd, which makes me want to wait a little longer to get it. maybe ill buy it from frys a month early and price match it after for some money back ;-) totally j/k though. is there a specific reason you would suggest something different than the e6700? i figure intel has the core2 technology down, but im iffy on the quad core. so i will take your advice, and give intel a try this time.

im glad to know that fsp group is a good psu brand, i was wondering because i had never heard of them. usually i look for reviews, but i guess i was being lazy and going with a brand i knew. i saw several psu's by them i really liked though. the one thing i want in a psu mainly is stability and modular, which they seemed to have lots of.

what would you suggest for ram then? i know xms is expensive, the dominator is stupidly priced even for me, but what can give me the same performance oc'd without sacrificing quality? ocz? i hear good and bad things about them...

yes i would rather have a fast computer vs a prettier one, but i do enjoy aesthetic value, especially when it comes to selling the old beast and upgrading to a new one. really helps in getting a good portion of money back. i just sold my x2 3800+ 2g xms pro and 7950gt oc for $1200, so i am sitting pretty much at how much i paid for it a year ago. i have no problems really spending a little extra for better components, but i do want faster vs pretty still. got a suggestion for a semi-pretty case with good cooling solution? im pretty damn lost on a case now.

im pretty set on the monsoon II tec cooler though, especially since it can take the cpu under ambient temp which water cooling cannot do. i want to water cool the 8800gtx, nbrdge and sbridge with a swiftech setup eventually.
    got a suggested place to order these products from? xoxide? newegg? ...or just take the perilous journey to frys...im getting kinda itchy on this xp1800+ 512mb machine i got as a backup.

when you say the money could be spend better elsewhere...you mean like a soundcard? what else?

All i really want is to be able to play games max settings. i want to see high numbers on my benchmarks. and most of all, i dont want to see a noticeable framerate drop, if at all, on most/all of the games to be released in the next year.

so what should i do...and where should i go
    Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 05-27-2007 at 06:45 AM.

The problem with the E6700 is it's so expensive, and overclocking a cheaper processor will take you to the same clock speeds.

G. Skill still sells some of the cheaper DDR2 800 despite the high quality. That will be more than sufficient for what you need. You could also switch the whole system to DDR3 at this point.

For cases, just browse Newegg and see what you like.

Sure, a sound card would be one thing you could spend money on. If you can really appreciate high quality sound, getting a 24-pin add-in card with EAX support and all that can be great. The X-Fi line is pretty good. You can also save towards upgrading to quad-core when prices come down. You'll want a quad-core CPU within the next year or so.

Thread Information