Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predicament!

Default Predicament!

A recent thunderstorm took out my PSU and CPU even though I had it behind a decent UPS.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    So far everything else seems to be working fine, running with my old single core 3800+(~2.5).<o:p></o:p>
    I'm the type who upgrades in phases, I'll typically do a cheaper CPU with decent MB and RAM and overclock. Then I'll upgrade the GPU later with a possible CPU upgrade even further down the road once prices drop some more/tech gets better.
    I was simply waiting for AMD's answer to the 8800GTX before retiring my 7800GTX which is on it's last leg...but the storm has thrown a wrench into my upgrade path.<o:p></o:p>
    So gaming on a 3800+ with an ~8800GTX(or AMDs high end(if it's worth it)) would be pointless right? <o:p></o:p>
    Thus, my predicament. Should I go ahead with the GPU purchase and get s939 CPU at the same time and keep my MB/RAM, or should I go ahead with a new Intel setup...getting ~6600 (or even an E2160) and overclock, a motherboard that will support Intel's Penryn(possibly ddr2 & ddr3 support if possible), and ~1 gig of decent RAM?<o:p></o:p>
    Any suggestions are welcome...

BTW...Keep in mind I will be gaming @1920x1080...which is the reason behind going with the high end GPUs and I really want to play Crysis/SPORE in all of their glory!!
    Last edited by matm347; 05-30-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    Case - CoolerMaster Wavemaster
    Monitor - 37" Sceptre NagaIII @1080p
    PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    CPU - Intel C2D E4300 (overclocks to come ASAP)
    GPU - 7800GTX 256 @ 608/1440 volt mod
    RAM - 2x 1gig Corsair "Dominator" PC2 8500
    Sound - Creative X-FI elite pro
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    Sennheiser HD-650 (naked)
    Headroom Micro amp w/desktop mod/Cordas HPI cables
    HDD - 1x 74gig raptor for OS
    3x 74gig raptors in RAID0 for games
    1x 500gig WD for swap file/storage
    Cooling - Appogee CPU/GPU blocks
    3/8"ID 5/8"OD Tygon tubing
    3x 120mm BIE radiator
    Swiftech MCP655 317GPH pump
    Vantec Stealth fans throughout

Laptop - Dell XPS 2
    CPU - PM 2.0
    GPU - 7800 GTX Go @ 440/1300
    RAM - 2 Gigs DDR2
    HDD - 60G 7200rpm + 160G external
    Sound - Audigy2 ZS Notebook, Sony EX51 budphones

Default Re: Predicament!

Right now you would likely be best served by going ahead with your E6600 upgrade. ATI will eventually come up with another winner, but right now the Intel dual cores rule and they overclock well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

My $.02. Never trust a UPS to really protect your hardware. There is not a single one on the market that can really protect your stuff in the event of a power surge. That is pure marketing. It has been proven time and time again they just do not have the capability to respond fast enough to protect stuff. The safest option is to have a surge protector put into the fuse box of your home and then run a UPS and be double triple sure to power down/unplug for bad storms. That is the only reliable safe option.

Otherwise, what Darthtanion said.......
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

True...but I'd be SOL even if AMD came out on top again...as they've moved on to AM2...s939 is the way of the past.

I've also just noticed a strange issue during BIOS setup (I cleared it)...it will miss and/or repeat keys at random. I'm not sure if this could be an issue with the motherboard as the ASCII chip is still on there correct? It's a USB keyboard though...so it could be a controller issue as well, which is also on the MB.

Ok...so new system it is.
    Any suggestions on motherboard and RAM?? I've gone with Asus in the past, but am quite open to try something new, I've heard good things about DFI and EVGA. I've also been a fan of OCZ for RAM, they used to have a real good price/performance ratio..again, I'm down to try something new if it'll save me some $$$.
    Should I wait for the new Intel chipsets (P35) to hit newegg (where I'll be ordering) or do the 680is support Penryn right now?
    I've got an Apogee CPU water block and will be using it with the Core 2...what is a typical overclock on water of the 6600?? I've heard 3ghz on air is not un-common.

UPS...BOOO!!! They advertise it as a battery backup/surge protector. I've since added a monster surge protector before both UPSs...but I'm quite disappointed with the lack of protection the UPS offers. I was out of town when the storm rolled through...otherwise I would have at least powered down.
    Last edited by matm347; 05-31-2007 at 05:05 AM.
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    3x 120mm BIE radiator

Laptop - Dell XPS 2
    CPU - PM 2.0
    RAM - 2 Gigs DDR2

I've been having very good luck with the Gigabyte board that I'm using in my C2D system. It is based on the tried and true P965 chipset and does well both at default and overclocked settings. Since you are looking at C2D (E6600 is Conroe core), you really don't need to wait for new P35 boards that support a future processor (maybe). Besides, odds are good that you will be needing a different memory standard by that time so a new motherboard will likely be on the shopping list anyway. From what I've seen so far, the P35 boards aren't offering a great prive -vs- performance ratio at this early stage.

For your water cooling setup, you will likely need to buy some new mounting hardware for the block, but that should be about it. I haven't tried overclocking with water so can't say what you may expect, but like anything else, it will depend on the luck of the draw with regards to your processor, memory and peripherals.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Stay away from DFI, trust me.........

As for CPU, if your budget is extremely tight, then a 3600+ Brisbane and a good mobo is nice and cheap, but going with Core 2 Duo is somewhat better. They don't offer alot more in the terms of power that the AMD's cannot, but they do OC better and are definitely stronger.

I also second the Gigabyte 965P boards. Had one and it was amazing. Due to a fit of temporary insanity, I went and bought this AMD/DFI contraption I am running now and I just cannot recommend them at all. My PC is still crazy fast, but I do worry that AMD will screw me by changing chipsets/sockets before we see any better performers from them.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Hmm....I know DFI had some issues a while back, but I thought they had cleared them up...is this not the case??

From what I've read, the ICH9 soutbridge pretty much kills Nvidia's in just about every RAID 0 test(so does ICH7-8 for that matter)..this is a big plus for me...also the P35 is supposed to be a tad bit better at overclocking than the 865s. They are also supposed to fully support Intels upcoming Penryn, another plus in my book.

So, a P5k deluxe, 1, maybe 2 gigs of lower latency yet overclockable DDR2 are on the list. I may want to go way cheap on the CPU at this time and just overclock the heck out of it.
    I may even want to hold off on the GPU...Nvidia is supposed to get G92 out before Christmas which will supposedly output "up to a teraflop of computing performance"..a little more than twice of what the 2900XT can produce.
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    3x 120mm BIE radiator

Laptop - Dell XPS 2
    CPU - PM 2.0
    RAM - 2 Gigs DDR2

Good idea on the video if you can hang on. I got the 320MB 8800 GTS and while it is super fast, it shows it's limitations and I am hard pressed to recommend anything other than the 8800GTX or higher.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Yeah, I realize the 8800GTS has a good price/performance...but with the benchmarks I've seen at the resolution I'll be playing, the GTX does quite a bit better. I'm thinking a 2950XTX may be my next GPU purchase though, as long as they keep it near the rumored price point.
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    3x 120mm BIE radiator

Laptop - Dell XPS 2
    CPU - PM 2.0
    RAM - 2 Gigs DDR2

Quote Originally Posted by matm347 View Post
    A recent thunderstorm took out my PSU and CPU even though I had it behind a decent UPS.<o:p></o:p>
    obviously it wasn't a decent ups

a fully rectified UPS would have prevented this however most ups don't do this they just provide power when the mains fails.

the UPS's we have at work cost around $800 for a powerware rectified ups.

note APC UPS at around the same price do not rectify the power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information