Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand Spanker...what do you think?

Default Brand Spanker...what do you think?

Hey hey,

I'm about to upgrade my system to a pretty flash one, i don't wanna go all out, but i want it to be pretty fast and i want to do some overclocking on it too...anyways here it is

Antec P182SE Performance One Silver ATX Mid Tower
    Intel ATX E6750 CORE 2 DUO 2.66GHz (not sure if i should get a smaller/cheaper one an OC??)
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6 (you guys gave this a pretty good review)

OR

Asus STRIKER EXTREME NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (much more expensive, but i love all the little extras it comes with...eyecandy)

Zalman CNPS9700NT CPU Cooler (i'm hoping this will fit on the board nice n' easy)
    DDR2 2Gig(2x1G) PC6400 800Mhz Dual Channel Geil4-4-4-12
    Power Supply CoolerMaster Real 650W Extreme SLI Ready
    Pioneer DVR-A12XLB18X DVDRW Black Retail
    Western Digital Caviar 320G 7200rpm HDD(8Mb Cache)
    Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G7 Cordless Laser Mouse
    Logitech Z-5500 THX Digital Speakers System
    Graphics card - i will just use me already brought XFX 8800GTS

There it is! Its gonna cost me a fair bit, over 2G (Australian), buying from Umart. But i'm confident it will be worth it. I was going to use this for a entertainment/gaming box, eg. set it up with a big ass LCD TV in my living room so i can play games/watch movies/listen to music. I also wanted to know when DDR3 is coming out? Cause i'd like to buy a mobo that can support it, are there any that support both DDR2 & DDR3? I know the Gigabyte P35T-DQ6 supports DDR3, but its not backwards compatible. If its not worth the wait, i'll just spend some extra money on some really good ddr2. Also with the memory side of things, is there a better memory than the two sticks mentioned for around abouts the same price? Any help would be great!
    PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
    Processor: AMD X2 3800+ OC @ 2300MHZ
    CPU cooling: Fans...lots
    Memory: 2GB (2x1024MB) KingstonDDR2 4-6-4-6
    Graphics Card: XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    BenQ FP71G+ - 17" LCD
    Krait Razer Gaming Mouse

Default Re: Brand Spanker...what do you think?

Get a cheaper processor or go Quad-Core. Intel is cutting prices on all processors July 22nd. Core 2 Quad drops under $300 USD. If you can't afford it, then just overclock a much cheaper processor.

The DDR3 boards and memory are nice, but DDR2 is so much cheaper that I'd say DDR3 isn't the best option just yet. There's no long-term advantage or disadvantage. Any DDR3 you buy now will be outdated by the time it becomes mainstream.

Get a cheaper processor or go Quad-Core. Intel is cutting prices on all processors July 22nd. Core 2 Quad drops under $300 USD. If you can't afford it, then just overclock a much cheaper processor.
    That's awesome news, i've heard other ppl saying the processor prices are going to drop too!! I'll definately wait and see! Thanks for the help, ps could you point me in the right direction for some decent ram for my specs? Say around the $200 USD mark
    BenQ FP71G+ - 17" LCD
    Krait Razer Gaming Mouse

StaticIce is showing Net Plus and Nintek both offering Q6600 (pre order) at $A347 post July 22, well worth the buy, if possible ensure you get the G0 stepping as it is supposed to be the better overclocker.

You may wish to have a look at the Asus P5K range of m/boards as you have the 8800GTS and don't mention wanting to utilise SLi. There are DDR2, dual DDR2 & DDR3 and DDR3 versions of the P5K range so have a look at them.

Your specs are very similar to what I'm building for a tad over $A2000 (using the Net Plus Q6600 pricing), my specs: * = Already ordered

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU 2X4Mb; Quad Core

*Asus P5K 775, P35Chipset, 1333FSB, PCIEI6, AUDIO, GbLAN, ATX

* Kingston HyperX 2048MB 800Mhz DR2 Non-ECC ULo CL4 Kt2 (KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN)

Western Digital 320G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD Surveillance (16Mb Cache)

* Asus EN8800GTS-HTDP-640 640MB DDR3 PCIEx16 HDTV 2xDVI-I HDCP

Thermaltake Toughpower 850W with PFC cable Management PSU

Pioneer DVR-A12XLB18X DVDRW Black Retail - with software

* Thermaltake Soprano (no psu)

Use StaticIce to shop around, you'll find Umart fairly competitively priced but you can save by using other suppliers. As to your ram question, d/load QVL from the manufacturers website and then search the modules using StaticIce
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 07-16-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

That's a huge price drop for the Q6600, considering Umart has it's pre-order price set for $699! I'll be waiting around to see that for sure. I'd be pretty stoked if i could get a quad!

You may wish to have a look at the Asus P5K range of m/boards as you have the 8800GTS and don't mention wanting to utilise SLi. There are DDR2, dual DDR2 & DDR3 and DDR3 versions of the P5K range so have a look at them.
    Why do you say buy a ASUS P5K as i have the 8800GTS? yeah, i'm not looking into running any cards in sli...seems like such a waste of money. One last question, which boards support both DDR2 & DDR3
    BenQ FP71G+ - 17" LCD
    Krait Razer Gaming Mouse

If you are gonna overclock a Quad Core, you better get a damn good heatsink. They run hotter than the sun.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    ...... Why do you say buy a ASUS P5K as i have the 8800GTS? yeah, i'm not looking into running any cards in sli...seems like such a waste of money.....
    Basically because the P5K range is the latest chipset, much newer than the 680i and supports Crossfire but not SLi.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    One last question, which boards support both DDR2 & DDR3
    P5K is DDR2, P5KC is DDR2 & DDR3, P5K3 is DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    If you are gonna overclock a Quad Core, you better get a damn good heatsink. They run hotter than the sun.
    Any one of the following should do the trick ;)

I'm tending toward the Zalman but I might just buy both it and the Ultra 120 Extreme as my son has a P4 630 running on a stock cooler and he can have the one I don't use.

Zalman 9700
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Scythe Ninja
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon
    CoolerMaster GeminII

8. Default Re: Brand Spanker...what do you think?

The U-120 Extreme is a very nice heatsink. It keeps my overclocked E6600 @ 3.0ghz under 40c during full loads and 19c at idle. I mounted two Antec 120mm fans to the sides; This makes for a push - pull - pull setup. The heatsink is really tall; I have about 3mm between the heatpipes and the side cover.

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy997@yahoo.com View Post
    The U-120 Extreme is a very nice heatsink. It keeps my overclocked E6600 @ 3.0ghz under 40c during full loads and 19c at idle. I mounted two Antec 120mm fans to the sides; This makes for a push - pull - pull setup. The heatsink is really tall; I have about 3mm between the heatpipes and the side cover.
    Nice clocks and load temps you have there, dual fans huh, mmmmmmmmmm, the 3mm is interesting as I have purchased a Thermaltake Soprano (I'm chucking an 850W Tough Power psu in it) which is minimally larger than your Antec so I guess I'll be close to the side cover as well. I don't suppose you could snap a pic of the U-120 could you please? I'd be keen to see the beast in all it's glory

How're you enjoying the new build?

10. Default Re: Brand Spanker...what do you think?

Yeah, I thought that it would be cool to mount 120mm fans on both sides of the heatsink. I looked it up and sure enough, plenty of people have done it. The bottom fan pushes the air into the heatsink while the top one pulls it. Then, the 200mm fan continues to pull the air. This, in theory, would result in a more efficient cooling system. Believe me, this case has tremendous air flow and the heatsink is surrounded with constant air. Also, there is the back 120mm exhaust which should also help cool the side of the U-120 Extreme.

I did some research on the U-120 Extreme, after I bought it on eBay, and found it was going to be a close fit.

As for the clocks, I have it at 3.0ghz for normal useage. I can EASILY push the timings up and come up with 3.4. I haven't tried anything higher than that. At 3.0, the voltages are at stock (1.325). At 3.4, I bumped the voltage up to 1.38 - Orthos steady for 16 hours when I stopped it.

The processor tops out at 40c with Orthos, BUT I did not have the fans on high - just medium.

Overall, I am very happy with the build. Going from a Dell 2400 to a custom built was a huge jump. I can easily put all the graphics settings on high and it runs flawlessly. With the Dell, everything on low gave the FX5200 problems. Also, I benchmarked the Dell with 3dmark06 and came up with 281. I benchmarked the new build and got 11088 marks. Quite a jump. The speed of the build is fantastic. P4 to C2D? Video conversions that would have taken all night only take 30 minutes!

I went ahead and modified the case and hid the wires behind the back panel. It looks pretty good and really cleaned everything up. I could not hide every wire, though. The CPU wire would have had to go through the very top of the panel, which if modified, would not allow the panel to close (in theory). Also the SATA and IDE cables are way too long. I really need a 4in IDE instead of the 12in and a 3in SATA instead of the 8in. Also, I had to modify the Thermalright HR-05 SLi to fit. It wanted to fit up really close next to the back of the 8800GTS. So, out came the Dremmel and I took care of that problem. To that, I pulled the 80mm out of my old psu and super glued it to the HR-05

What's next?
    HR-03 Plus and a modified 120mm to mount on the side panel. I really don't have room to fit a fan on the gpu heatsink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information