Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: possible upgrade configuration

Question possible upgrade configuration

I'm thinking about upgrading some parts of my pc and this is the list:
    -Motherboard: Asus P5K intel P35 SK775
    -Processor: intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz FSB 1333mhz
    -Memory: 2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 800mhz
    -Graphics card: Asus Radeon HD2600XT 256MB DDR4

I would also like to know if I can use my HD (which is IDE) with this motherboard
    Just let me hear your opinions about this configuration.

Thanks

Default Re: possible upgrade configuration

As long as you do not have more than 2 total IDE devices, the motherboard will handle it. Of course, since you're building new, I'd probably go ahead and get a SATA drive or two and use the IDE as a backup device.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I will buy a SATA HD but I just dont have the sufficient money so i'll buy it later.
    Just one more thing will I need a new power supply for this motherboard I currently have a 560W PSU

Depends... not all power supplies are created equally, so if it is a low-end brand you may have issues. When you build the new system, look for any issues of instability. Also, I'm not sure what power connection you will need for your choice of video card (I've not used the 2600 series yet), but you'll want to make sure that your current PSU has a connection that is appropriate for the graphics. Also make sure that the PSU has the correct primary power coupler for the motherboard. Most modern boards are using a 24-pin primary connection and many older power supplies are only equipped to handle a 20-pin coupler. If your power supply isn't capable of handling the new hardware, you will have no choice but to get a new PSU.
    My Toys

well I think that my PSU can support the new hardware because when I installed it I noticed a cable with a label saying PCI express that's probably the power connection you are reffering to the graphics card, and it also has the 20pin connector and more 4pin separated probably to work with modern and older motherboards.
    And since I use the computer mostly for gamming I'm not sure yet about the graphics card I'm going to buy but a guy told me that if it is mostly for gamming I should buy something like nvidia 8800GTS 320MB and less money on other conponents. what do you think about the 8800GTS card?

You might want to check either your PSU manual or the manufacturers website to make sure it is compatible with your upgrade plans. Even though it has 4-pin auxilliary connectors, this does not mean that it is compatible with a 24-pin main power coupler. Many older (Althlon and some INtel based) motherboards make use of a 20-pin primary and either a 4-pin or 8-pin supplemental connectors, but this isn't the same as a PSU that is designed with a 20+4 pin primary (a 20-pin that has a removable 4-pin that can be attached together). I am including a jpg image of what a 20+4 pin primary looks like. This should help you decide if your PSU is up to the task.

As far as the GTS video card, they are very decent performers for the money and if I remember correctly, they are even DX10 compatible so you'll be set if you decide to go with the Windows Vista operating system. That being said, I wouldn't skimp on your other components just o have the higher end graphics board. That is for processing textures and the games of today need a strong processor to make them run as smoothly as possible.
    My Toys

Thread Information