Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building New Computer

right, so i'm going to build this new comptuer, right? and so i think i got pretty much everything i'd need and put in this nifty word document . if you could look over it, and suggest anything that i should change. i'm only trying to spend $2,000. I don't need a monitor, and i have a dvd, cd-rw, and floppy drive already. the only thing i'm unsure about is the type or RAM i need. and i want the new pentium 4 2.4GHz with the 533MHz FSB, but i havn't found and motherboard/CPU combos with 533MHz on pricewatch.

right, well, i just realised that maybe if you didn't want the specifics and links to everything, i thought i'd just list it real quick.

-Intel D845BGSE (w/audio) PentiumŪ4 478PIN 2.4Ghz 2400Mhz & Fan (actually, i probably won't use this, i want the new one with USB 2.0 support that was reviewed a day or so ago here)
    -Antec PP412X 400Watts 12V Pentium 4 ATX Power Supply
    -Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB 7200RPM ST380021A Hard Drive OEM
    -Colorcases.com case
    -Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    -Gainward 128MB 4X AGP DDR GeForce4 Ti4200 TV/out Golden Sample
    -Linksys 10/100 LAN card
    -Logitech Z-560 speakers
    -512+MB ddr PC2100 RAM

Looks like you're going to have yourself a winner there. Just make sure that you have some good case cooling going on. The added airflow will help out your entire system. If you can provide a link to the case you're looking at, we can see if it's on the money. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Looks good, but unless there are a couple of 80mm fans hidden behind the front bezel somewhere, I'd seriously consider looking at something else.

If the window is the main reason that you're looking at this case, then you can find some others that are similar over at Cooler Guys.

If the window isn't mandatory, then take a look at some of the offerings available from Antec. They are sold for reasonable prices at Directron.

Good luck with your new toy. Let us know how it all turns out, and make sure to include benchmarks! :D
    My Toys

um, why more than 2 fans? the computer i have now (a dell) just has one, and it works fine (or is there some more important factor i'm missing here?)

okay, well, i've decided to go with this case

oh, and is 400W too much? or does it not matter enough, and i should go for 300, 350W?

Quote Originally Posted by BenQuilter
    um, why more than 2 fans? the computer i have now (a dell) just has one, and it works fine (or is there some more important factor i'm missing here?)
    You always want to have good air circulation going through a case when you're adding performance components. Let's face it, just the hard drive and the video card are enough to start adding a good bit of extra heat into the case.

The model you were looking at first just had two exhaust fans at the rear of the case. With no intake fans added in, where does the air come from when it's exhausting? Answer: It doesn't. This means that you are wasting fans and creating noise for no apparent reason.

Natural ventilation of a case will have fresh cool air coming in low from the front, and exiting high to the rear. This causes the fewest amount of "Dead Spaces" in the case and allows everything to run nice and cool.

Something else to consider... If one of those front 80mm fans is sitting behind the primary hard drive bay, FILL IT! The higher capacity (and faster) hard drives of today thrive when they are kept nice and cool.

As to the question concerning the PSU, get as high wattage one as you can afford. This will give you room to grow in case you decide to overclock, or if you want to add multiple optical drives, or maybe a RAID setup. 235w used to be considered overkill, but modern systems shouldn't even consider anything under 350-400 watts.
    My Toys

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to overclock on any genuine Intel mobo.....:)
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

no, i don't think i'll really be doing any overclocking with the processor (or should maybe i do that too?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information